Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Saving The Dolphins

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1    harmonious2006

harmonious2006

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 06:04 PM

Saving The Dolphins

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am sure you are aware that still in some parts of the world Dolphins and
Whales are still being hunted for food. As with most Western countries this
act has been outlawed in our waters, and many conservation projects are in
force at present to try and protect these wonderful creatures.

They need your help; there is an annual slaughter of many types of Dolphins
and Whales by the PRO WHALING nations, this alone still disgusts me as I am
sure it disgusts you too.

But look at these links, what is happening in a remote fishing village in
southern JAPAN is truly shocking.

http://www.earthisland.org/saveTaijiDolphins/
http://www.bornfree.org.uk/dolphin/dolphin.shtml

Please Help

Richard Johnston

Supporter:

Greenpeace
W.D.C.S (Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society)
WWF (World Wild Life Fund)
Born Free Foundation
Oxfam
Amnesty International

#2    Doctor_Strangelove

Doctor_Strangelove

Nazi Scientist

• 2,616 posts

• Mein Führer! I can walk!

Posted 27 June 2006 - 06:18 PM

no.gif I love dolphins, as I do most animals, and I'm sorry to say that I'm taking sides with the hippies. blush.gif Not to mention I am losing respect for Japan very rapidly.

Eating a cow is one thing, eating a dolphin is another. Dolphins are intelligent, while cows are stupid.

Edited by MJB222, 27 June 2006 - 06:19 PM.

"Isn't it weird when users quote themselves in their own signatures?"-Doctor_Strangelove

#3    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:36 AM

And cows are much, much more plentiful than dolphins yes.gif

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

#4    KingBlade

KingBlade

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 08:19 PM

It's upseting to see it happen, bears and dolphins being killed.
I wish they stoped it, put a ban on hunting bears and dolphins and other animals. crying.gif

#5    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 02:09 AM

put a ban on hunting

That, I don't agree with....

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#6    Baal

Baal

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 04:15 AM

no.gif I love dolphins, as I do most animals, and I'm sorry to say that I'm taking sides with the hippies. blush.gif Not to mention I am losing respect for Japan very rapidly.

Eating a cow is one thing, eating a dolphin is another. Dolphins are intelligent, while cows are stupid.

Dolphin is great. Little better than shark. Really you should try it yummy yummy  in my tummy laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

-Baal-

#7    Ravinar

Ravinar

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • Location:some where between the majesty of creation and the void of oblivion

• A truly powerful being needs not destroy.

Posted 01 July 2006 - 05:34 AM

Dolphin is great. Little better than shark. Really you should try it yummy yummy  in my tummy laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

are you talking about Dolphin the fish or Dolphin the mammal? huh.gif  i hope your talking about the fish..... you are talking about the fish right? sad.gif

the human race is at an end and and my soul grows weary. the one thing that could revive it is almost gone and is in no condition to heal me. yet i shall not despair for the light of hope shines even in the greatest darkness. i shall continue to hope.... hope for the days of green and ever lasting love of all things. for those whom think them selfs better shall realize they are not all that is. nor are they in any way better for all life is equal.

#8    Carajbu

Carajbu

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 367 posts

• There has to be evil so that good can prove its purity above it.
    -Buddha

Posted 01 July 2006 - 05:56 AM

Even if these countries put a ban on killing these animals illegal poaching would still happen on the blackmarket. Some of these people are very poor and poaching feeds their families. I'm not saying thats right. If you have people that are so poor they have to kill innocent animals to live...your country has problems.

This reminds me of the people on some french island who used live cats and dogs as bait for sharks...putting hooks through their noses.

"I want freedom for the full expression of my personality." -Mahatma Gandhi

#9    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 04:25 PM

are you talking about Dolphin the fish or Dolphin the mammal?  i hope your talking about the fish..... you are talking about the fish right?

Mahi Mahi is tasty...and fun to catch...especially 30 lb ones..

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#10    MoorWalks

MoorWalks

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:16 PM

Zoologists have developed a plan to save the Yangtze River dolphin, probably the world's most endangered mammal, from extinction.

They hope to take some dolphins from the Yangtze and rear them in a nearby lake, protected from fishermen.

The species is threatened by overfishing which removes its food, industrialisation, boat collisions, and through being caught in fishing nets.

The most recent surveys found only 17 living individuals.

Also known as the baiji and Chinese lake dolphin, Lipotes vexillifer is listed as Critically Endangered on the internationally recognised Red List of Threatened Species, which describes it as "probably the most endangered cetacean in the world".

Safe haven

Late last year an international group of conservation zoologists held a workshop in San Diego aiming to develop a coherent rescue plan.

That plan has now been published by a group led by Samuel Turvey from the Institute of Zoology, part of the Zoological Society of London (ZSL).

"It's been suggested for a long time that the only way to save them from dying out is to set up a closely monitored breeding population under semi-natural breeding conditions," he told the BBC News website.

"The plan is to set up a reserve in an oxbow lake 21km long which was part of the Yangtze until the 1970s."

Tian-e-Zhou lake already houses another freshwater cetacean, the Yangtze finless porpoise, so conditions are likely to suit the baiji.

There are fish in the lake to provide food for the dolphins; and although there may be some human fishing, it is likely to be on a much smaller scale than in the Yangtze itself.

There, the pressure of China's burgeoning population have brought stocks of some of the baiji's prey species to one thousandth of their pre-industrial levels, Dr Turvey said.

"There is massive human population pressure, industralisation, overfishing. Boat collisions have had a huge impact, then there's bycatch, and various dams of which the Three Gorges is just the best known.

"That was another nail in the coffin, but the species has been declining for decades; during the Great Leap Forward there was even a factory established to make bags out of dolphin skin."

ZSL and its collaborating organisations anticipate the endorsement of their plan, and are starting to look for funds.

Costs could amount to between £200,000 and £300,000 ($365,000 and $545,000) for the first year's operations.

Boats are needed to catch the dolphins, helicopters to transfer them to Tian-e-Zhou. Holding pens need to be constructed, veterinary staff provided, and an inventory made of fish stocks.

The rescue plan speaks of conducting five dolphin capture operations in the Yangtze within the next three years "...in order to establish a viable ex-situ breeding population of baiji at Tian-e-Zhou before the Yangtze population undergoes a further decline or becomes extinct".

The long-term plan would be to re-introduce them to the Yangtze, but only when the prospects of them thriving there have risen.

Source with photo

Posted Image

#11    Daughter of the Nine Moons

Daughter of the Nine Moons

☆。Fearstriker Do'Teh 。☆

• 14,371 posts

• ☆彡

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:19 PM

I have merged two common threads thumbsup.gif

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons, 05 July 2006 - 08:07 PM.

They're weak to fire! - Sugarbear

#12    chris57

chris57

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 185 posts

• "all of life is a show and in this show there is only one director, writter and actor and that is you" Chris57

Posted 08 July 2006 - 06:01 PM

save the poisionious snales because they are eaten and no one likes them except a few people.

"we are helpless to ourselfs, we are helpless to who we are" chris57,

#13    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 06:03 PM

save the poisionious snales because they are eaten and no one likes them except a few people.

There is already conservation for snakes...Plus, they are not AS RARE as these dolphins...

Herpetology is a passion of mine...I love snakes. I even have 3 of my own...and 2 lizards.

Snakes aren't poisonous...You don't touch them an die...Snakes are VENEMOUS.

Edited by frogfish, 08 July 2006 - 06:04 PM.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#14    greeneyedoll

greeneyedoll

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 05:41 PM

I think brutally killing anything is wrong. However everywhere in the world, there are atrocities commited to both man and animal.

I think the only way to stop this, and or save any species would be to have every man, woman, child, and animal put on a strict vegetarian diet. Also to stop using any product: clothing, make up, jewerly, weapens, pianos, or anything else made with animal material.

Oil was once living things also.

Then again if you did this people would start on save the fruit trees! The cotton plant is becoming extinct!

I'm not trying to make light of anything but I guess it basically comes down to how much are you willing to personally change your habit?

Will you stop using animal products? Eating animals? Buying from companies that brutalise animals? Stop eating seafood, unless it's certified dolphin friendly?

Maybe move out to a remote area and start a self sustaining commune- That might be the best way to not add to the killing of dolphins and their land dwelling brethren.

Oh and in my personal opinion, Dolphins can be jerks just like any other animal. They attack porpoises, people, and kill their own children.

Not that it is any reason not to rally for them.

#15    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 09:50 PM

Dolphins can be jerks just like any other animal. They attack porpoises, people, and kill their own children.

LOL, they are not jerks...they are trying to survive...So the crocs in Uganda are jerks for killing people?

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users