Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Before Time

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,581 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 07 July 2006 - 02:29 AM

Ladies and Gentlemen,
Please remember that this is the Space and Astronomy forum. There are plenty of forums on this site for discussing religion. Please keep to the subject.
Thank you.
Waspie_Dwarf

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#17    Roj47

Roj47

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

• If I believed the world was going to end in the next 10 years..... I would sell up and travel to see as much of it as I could.

Posted 07 July 2006 - 08:28 AM

After looking at the pictures you yourself post in the thread about daily pictures of the Universe, how can you think that such a magnificently beautiful site can be anything short of the works of God.

"This most beautiful system [The Universe] could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being." -Isaac Newton

I sincerely apologise and this is not meant as personal, but it sure will sound it.

This kind of talk..... whether yourself, TV or wherever really scares me.
I do not want to go down the line of my thoughts as I dont want it appearing personal to you, but this line of thought really gets my anger levels up.

Even from an early age I would sit in school assembly (church) and refuse to sing. Why am I singing to something I dont believe in?
Thankfully I have managed to avoid any form of church since, and anyways..... This is not the forum for this talking.

Nature

Peace

Posted Image
Posted Image

#18    Carey Reagan

Carey Reagan

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 93 posts

• You invent the airplane, and I'll invent the parachute.

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:46 AM

There is one theory that you’ve already said you will not listen to, that equivocating suggestion is that the universe simply did not have a beginning, that is has existed forever.  This would a simple enough explanation, although according to most scientists you’ll talk to, the theory is unsound for many reasons.
To bring up the theory of a Christian Saint, Augustine, who happened to have a very open mind about these things in the fifteenth century: He said the world was made not in time, but simultaneously with time. In other words, it did not simply appear but was in fact an eternally preexisting nothingness before time came into the equation, which was derived of a cosmic origin.  Thus, there was no before, no Creator, or process for the universe to evolve from.  Science has arrived at more or less the same conclusion as Augustine, if you can believe it, because of what we know now of the gravitation of time and the tendencies of space.  

My personal theory?  Cause and effect.  Something caused it, and it was effected.

For kicks?  I blame the aliens.

#19    Roj47

Roj47

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

• If I believed the world was going to end in the next 10 years..... I would sell up and travel to see as much of it as I could.

Posted 07 July 2006 - 10:07 AM

I take it as too hard to comprhend for the normal person and have lost many hours thinking about it when I was a child.

As a kid I could not comprehend nothing, because there would be black (ok.... the word would not exist, but you know what I mean). Take that away and there would be white.... etc etc etc...

Nope..... Just dont try to think about it original.gif

Posted Image
Posted Image

#20    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 17,116 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 07 July 2006 - 11:21 AM

The universe simply *is*.

If you want to delve into the "whys and wherefores" then you're probably going to need religion or philosophy...there's another forum for this type of discussion.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#21    arkland

arkland

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

• "There is no evil"

Posted 09 July 2006 - 04:54 PM

I was just thinking...

What came before the big bang?
Don't tell me it's nothing because I refuse to believe it!
How can there be nothing? And if there was, what caused the big bang?
Also, what's inside a black hole? More nothing? Even though they suck in so much.

alien.gif  alien.gif  alien.gif

LAWL dont be a noob ther was nothing everything starts with nothing 0-1-2-3-4-5 and so on

#22    ShaunZero

ShaunZero

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,339 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:39 AM

Easily...by nature...all you need is a simple understanding of chemistry and astronomy to be exact.

Knowing about the natural world says nothing about a Creator. Who's to say the creator did not want the universe to work the way it does now?

"What if there were no hypothetical questions?" ~ George Carlin
Are you a cynic?

#23    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,581 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:45 AM

Knowing about the natural world says nothing about a Creator. Who's to say the creator did not want the universe to work the way it does now?

If you want to delve into the "whys and wherefores" then you're probably going to need religion or philosophy...there's another forum for this type of discussion.

I think that sums it up nicely.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#24    LordBishop

LordBishop

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 77 posts

• I'll squash you.

Posted 01 August 2006 - 09:24 PM

I was just thinking...

What came before the big bang?
Don't tell me it's nothing because I refuse to believe it!
How can there be nothing? And if there was, what caused the big bang?
Also, what's inside a black hole? More nothing? Even though they suck in so much.

alien.gif  alien.gif  alien.gif

What makes you think or believe there was a so called big bang?

150 Years
Posted Image

#25    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,581 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 01 August 2006 - 10:17 PM

I have asked politely and been ignored so from now on all posts attempting to hijack this thread and turn it into a debate on religion will be deleted on sight. There are places for such discussions on this web site, this forum is not one of them.

Waspie_Dwarf

Posted Image
Click on button

#26    GreyWeather

GreyWeather

噢,这真是个快乐

• 6,407 posts

• If at first you don't succeed... cheat.

Posted 01 August 2006 - 10:52 PM

I myself don't beleive in the big bang. the sound waves were picked up by a very simplistic device, sure it may have been very sensitive, but you have to ask yourself this. "once the big bang happened, the sound waves would have been lost forever, due to the fact that they had nothing at all to reflect off." What I think they heard, was a "close" refracted sound wave from a supernova.

We can never understand how the universe began, because it's impossible to figure out. seeing as there was nothing around when and after it happened (I mean the first couple seconds/hours after it happened), so we can never really find out how it began or what made it happen.

Posted Image

If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do. The smallest act of kindness can be the greatest thing in the world.

#27    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,581 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 01 August 2006 - 11:00 PM

I myself don't beleive in the big bang. the sound waves were picked up by a very simplistic device, sure it may have been very sensitive, but you have to ask yourself this. "once the big bang happened, the sound waves would have been lost forever, due to the fact that they had nothing at all to reflect off." What I think they heard, was a "close" refracted sound wave from a supernova.

We can never understand how the universe began, because it's impossible to figure out. seeing as there was nothing around when and after it happened (I mean the first couple seconds/hours after it happened), so we can never really find out how it began or what made it happen.

There are no sound waves from the big bang. Sound does not travel through a vacuum and space is about as close to a vacuum as you can get.

The big bang was postulated because it was observed that the galaxies are all rushing away fro each other. This showed that the universe had a definite start at a definite time. It was calculated that if the big bang did happen then space should not have totally cooled down leading to background radiation. After this calculation was made the background radiation was found showing that the temperature of space is 3K (3 degrees above absolute zero) exactly as calculated. What is more this background radiation can not becaused by a localised event such as a supernova as it comes, more or less, uniformly from all directions.

The big bang is so well established as a theory not because it was theory which was designed to fit the observations but because it was a theory that predicted what should be observed and was confirmed by later observations.

Posted Image
Click on button

#28    GreyWeather

GreyWeather

噢,这真是个快乐

• 6,407 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 11:28 PM

There are no sound waves from the big bang. Sound does not travel through a vacuum and space is about as close to a vacuum as you can get.

The big bang was postulated because it was observed that the galaxies are all rushing away fro each other. This showed that the universe had a definite start at a definite time. It was calculated that if the big bang did happen then space should not have totally cooled down leading to background radiation. After this calculation was made the background radiation was found showing that the temperature of space is 3K (3 degrees above absolute zero) exactly as calculated. What is more this background radiation can not becaused by a localised event such as a supernova as it comes, more or less, uniformly from all directions.

The big bang is so well established as a theory not because it was theory which was designed to fit the observations but because it was a theory that predicted what should be observed and was confirmed by later observations.

hm I 'spose, but I still don't believe in that theory, we can't ever really prove nor disprove what made the universe happen/explode into being (i'm not trying to say a 'god' made it either ¬_¬ ).Though the string theory sounds stable, that their are multi-verses that 'rub' against each other, and one bumped into another to create this universe. but it doesn't do more than calm our thirst for 'beginning of time' knowledge which doesn't really matter.

Posted Image

If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do. The smallest act of kindness can be the greatest thing in the world.

#29    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,581 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 01 August 2006 - 11:34 PM

hm I 'spose, but I still don't believe in that theory.

That is your right. Not all cosmologist accept it either, however the vast majority do. At the moment I have seen nothing that leads me to think that the majority are wrong. However the majority have been wrong in the past.

Posted Image
Click on button

#30    GreyWeather

GreyWeather

噢,这真是个快乐

• 6,407 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 11:45 PM

That is your right. Not all cosmologist accept it either, however the vast majority do. At the moment I have seen nothing that leads me to think that the majority are wrong. However the majority have been wrong in the past.

true, but the string theory and multiverse sound reasonable. I guess we'll debunk or figure out the right theory in a few hundred years, as our technology develops.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users