Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Is Mothman real? Yes or No?

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

Poll: The Mothman (142 member(s) have cast votes)

Is Mothman Real?

1. Yes (60 votes [42.25%])

Percentage of vote: 42.25%

2. No (46 votes [32.39%])

Percentage of vote: 32.39%

3. Dunno' (28 votes [19.72%])

Percentage of vote: 19.72%

4. Who is the Mothman? (8 votes [5.63%])

Percentage of vote: 5.63%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#91    wimfloppp

wimfloppp

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

no

#92    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

View PostRafterman, on 24 January 2013 - 02:45 PM, said:

I've found that the easiest way to debunk most of this stuff is to look at the original history and citations - not the stuff that has propagated on the web over the past 20 years.  Yes, there may be dozens, hundreds, and even thousands of mentions on Google, but you'd be surprised how many times they simply quote a single erroneous story.

Often a highly-regarded erroneous story like Mothman Prophecies. This was a very popular UFO/Paranormal book that for some reason was ignored by the Skeptical Inquirer which usually debunks these things. In some cases it takes a lot more digging to find out it was all made up because everyone has already decided it must have been real.

Unlike my favorite Bigfoot story, "Night Siege". While it's nowhere near as complete or professional as Mothman Prophecies (well, it's just a photocopy of typed pages and crude drawings), it follows the same model by describing incredible and terrifying events experienced by ordinary people living in a rural area while the author presents himself as an unbiased (if not scientific) witness to paranormal events.

Fortunately no one bought this nonsense (for a change!) and the story is barely known in cryptology. I'm hoping one of the half dozen paranormal shows on cable will come across it and do something with it.

#93    Dark Vortex

Dark Vortex

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:58 AM

I tend to believe he exists, bringing chaos where he goes, or warning the people with keen eyes to danger. idk which to believe yet, but one of my family members was talking to me about the 45w bridge collapse a few years ago in minnesota and she was driving over it the day before, and says she saw the mothman on the side of the bridge, looking into her car. next day the bridge had fallen. its creepy but i believe it.

#94    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:13 AM

View PostDark Vortex, on 28 January 2013 - 12:58 AM, said:

I tend to believe he exists, bringing chaos where he goes, or warning the people with keen eyes to danger. idk which to believe yet, but one of my family members was talking to me about the 45w bridge collapse a few years ago in minnesota and she was driving over it the day before, and says she saw the mothman on the side of the bridge, looking into her car. next day the bridge had fallen. its creepy but i believe it.

welcome to UM.  Here's your nametag.

Attached File  33966916.jpeg   85.19K   10 downloads

Have a nice day!

#95    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

View PostDark Vortex, on 28 January 2013 - 12:58 AM, said:

It was probably just one of the construction workers who had been working on it before it collapsed. No one else mentioned anything unusual.

#96    morino

morino

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

• When fire rains down from the sky mankind will reap what it has sown...

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:25 AM

yup he's real.never saw him,but don't see why not.the world is filled with those kind of spirits.in this case,mothman doesn't cause disasters,but is attracted to them.he's basically an omen.loved richard gere's movie the mothman prophecies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users