Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Endangered cuckoo spotted in Indonesia

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:23 PM

Scientists trying to photograph wild tigers deep in the Indonesian jungle captured a glimpse of another endangered species instead the Sumatran ground cuckoo.

An Indonesian-British surveying team released rare images of the short, brown fowl, with black and green plumes, taken with a sensor-triggered, camera.

The bird, apparently startled by the flash, is seen gazing into the lens with spread wings.

"Finding the Sumatran ground cuckoo gives me hope, because it was photographed in disturbed forest that has been left to recover near the national park," said Dr. Matthew Linkie of the University of Kent in England.

The July spotting, near Kerinci Seblat National Park in central-west Sumarta, was the third known recording of the bird since 1916, a statement said. The bird's scientific name is Carpococcyx viridis.

"We've photographed rhinoceros hornbills and great argus pheasants before but when we found that we'd photographed a Sumatran ground cuckoo, we couldn't believe it," said field leader Yoan Dinata of Fauna & Flora International Indonesia.

The Sumatran rain forests contain some of the world's richest biodiversity but they are also among the world's most threatened forests, due mainly to illegal logging.

Source

Edited by XSAS, 11 July 2006 - 01:34 PM.

Posted Image

#2    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:41 PM

That's good news that we are keeping visual contact with these species...

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

#3    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Mostly Harmless

• 11,323 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 11 July 2006 - 01:28 PM

No picture?  sad.gif  The link is dead.

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost; for none now live who remember it."  Galadriel

#4    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 11 July 2006 - 01:36 PM

No picture?  sad.gif  The link is dead.

Here is a picture, I don't understand why the l;ink is dead, I tried putting it up again and got the same result "dead link" perhaps it is because it is a few pages into the news links?

Attached Thumbnails

• bird.jpg

Posted Image

#5    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Mostly Harmless

• 11,323 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 11 July 2006 - 01:43 PM

edit:  We posted at the same time LOL.  Thanks.  Pretty bird, wasn't what I expected.

Edited by Darkwind, 11 July 2006 - 01:47 PM.

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost; for none now live who remember it."  Galadriel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users