Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Global Warming

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#31    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,085 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 11:21 AM

Destruction of the global ecosphere by humanity is not evolution  angry.gif

sleepy.gif  I never said it was.

#32    Mp

Mp

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 07:02 PM

Really?  Where?  Everywhere?  Somewhere?  Overall?  If it isn't getting warmer everywhere, how do you know it is getting warmer anywhere?  

I submit to you all that there is no collective data even remotely suggesting that the Earth is in a cycle of warming.  If there is:

SHOW IT

I got as far as this post, so if someone else posted this link - please forgive:

http://www.worldviewofglobalwarming.org/index.html

You know, it's real easy to sit in a city - or urban setting - and say that there is no such thing as global warming. It's also real easy to say that it's happened before and we'll survive just fine.

All that is fine and well, but as someone who has spent more time in the forests of Alaska, Washington and Oregon than I have in cities, I can tell you that like the person in Maine, I too see the results of global warming, and it's pretty obvious.

My first clue was years ago, noticing glaciers receding. And we are not talking a little bit, but a lot. BTW: glaciers is where most of us get our water - the stuff we need to survive, and the animals do too. I have watched a few smaller glaciers in Oregon completely dry up and even though it's a big problem for urban farmers, it's an even bigger problem for the animals that depended on that water supply to survive.

Sure, our planet has went through some pretty tough stuff - as another poster said, and she'll "probably" survive this just fine - in time. But, when you referenced earth as a lady, I couldn't help but think that most of us have been treating her like a whore. Excuse the language. Hell, I drove a big truck for years so I'm just as guilty. But, now days I do take the time to really think about how my actions might help out just a little. Maybe a real little bit, considering what the whole world is doing, but hey, you have to start somewhere. That is directed at the person who asked what we can do about it.

I worked as a forest fire fighter for years and can tell you that it is real - and science backs that up. And, yes, glaciers have receded in the past - our planet has been really really hot, as well as really really cold. We've been hit by asteroids, disease, you name it, but this time WE ARE RESPONSIBLE!

Anyhow, that's my two cents. The link is pretty good. You can see the effects on glaciers and ect.. By the way, in Alaska, there is an entire island community that is in the process of evacuating because the warmer temperatures have melted the permafrost that supported that community. This is the first large scale evacuation as a direct result of glabal temperature change and there will be more.

#33    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 21,943 posts

• Dysfunctional you can fix, ******** can't be.

Posted 30 July 2006 - 07:24 PM

Joc, Good grief it is apparent everywhere calm down its not over for Humanity yet I say this too you as a freind ....Go see an Inconvient truth the al gore movie or buy the book it is very well done then decide....As it stands now Many many things are being done to stop global warming....Joc is really a very lovely person he gets freaked easily so don't take him personal...... grin2.gif

Edited by Sympa Sheri, 30 July 2006 - 07:25 PM.

#34    Mp

Mp

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 09:06 PM

Joc, Good grief it is apparent everywhere calm down its not over for Humanity yet I say this too you as a freind ....Go see an Inconvient truth the al gore movie or buy the book it is very well done then decide....As it stands now Many many things are being done to stop global warming....Joc is really a very lovely person he gets freaked easily so don't take him personal...... grin2.gif

Very well said!!!

The url for An Inconvenient Truth is:

http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?d...944470709189270

#35    Sherapy

Sherapy

• 21,943 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 11:20 PM

welcome moop great topic one of my favorites....exclllent movie did you see it????I told myself I'm not posting on the global warming, then i siad i'l just peek see whats being said then i couldn't help it , i see my pal Joc is upset so here i am.... grin2.gif Joc see its all your fault....lol

#36    Mp

Mp

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 05:56 PM

welcome moop great topic one of my favorites....exclllent movie did you see it????I told myself I'm not posting on the global warming, then i siad i'l just peek see whats being said then i couldn't help it , i see my pal Joc is upset so here i am.... grin2.gif Joc see its all your fault....lol

Hello SHeri;

Thank you for a very kind welcome!

You know, I haven't seen the movie, but I have seen a couple of presentations Al Gore made on the subject, and I have to say, he really opens your eyes. But, I am definately going to see it for sure - can't wait!

Joc was upset? I think I missed something, but if he is - or was - I hope he feels better about things today. Lifes too short to live in the negative! I know that sounds "new agey", but it's true - laughing and smiling is funner than letting things get to you!!! IMHO!

Anyhow, thanx again for a warm welcome and I hope your day is going super!!!

Mp

#37    Bella-Angelique

Bella-Angelique

Caprica Six Cylon

• 7,174 posts

• There is more to learn

Posted 31 July 2006 - 06:13 PM

Perhaps as soon as Florida is underwater Al Gore can run for president again.
(joke)  laugh.gif

Posted Image

#38    Sherapy

Sherapy

• 21,943 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 10:25 PM

Perhaps as soon as Florida is underwater Al Gore can run for president again.
(joke)  laugh.gif

ha ha ha good one Bella  thumbsup.gif  w00t.gif

#39    Celumnaz

Celumnaz

Telekinetic

• 7,039 posts

• I don't know what I don't know.

Posted 03 August 2006 - 01:18 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060802/sc_af...ow_060802180049

Snow fell on South Africa's biggest city Johannesburg for the first time in 25 years as icy temperatures gripped vast swathes of the country, the weather office said.

"It (the snow) is by no means freakish but I would certainly classify it as rare," said Kevin Rae, assistant manager of forecasting at the South African Weather Service in Pretoria.

Forecasters said snow was reported in the southern Johannesburg township of Soweto and the posh northern suburb of Sandton, as well as the nearby towns of Carletonville and Westonaria.

Johannesburg last had snow on September 11, 1981.

"Sleet has been recorded occasionally since then, but never snow," added climatologist Tracey Gill.

Bloemfontein, the capital of the central Free State province, got its first snow in 12 years, receiving 13 centimetres (5.2 inches).

Comparable widespread snow across the country had been recorded only twice in the past 20 years, in 1981 and 1988, said Rae.

Some welcomed the colder weather, however.

At the Tiffindell ski resort in the southern Drakensberg mountains of the Eastern Cape province, guests were elated.

"They are very excited," said the resort's chief snow-maker, Johan Smuts. "It is not every day that you get to see snow fall in Africa."

In warmer weather, Smuts oversees the manufacture of snow for the resort through a process involving water and air compression.

Tiffindell usually gets about five snowfalls a year, he said, but rarely 25 centimetres in one day, as on Tuesday.

The weather service posted a warning on its website of very cold temperatures for the southeastern high elevations of the country into Thursday.

It expected snowfalls to continue over areas of the central Free State, the Drakensberg and the Eastern Cape, but to have passed by Friday.

In the northern provinces, the snow was expected to clear by Wednesday afternoon, said Rae.

#40    Poetic Reven

Poetic Reven

God of War

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

• Bullets have names on them, shrapnel is addressed to "Whom it may concern".

Posted 04 August 2006 - 08:56 AM

Meh, its like the old saying goes. "The children will always suffer the sins of thier fathers." Well, not my father specifically cuz he rode a horse BUT the piont is that, we, as a youth, are being put as SOLELY RESPONSIBLE for the cleaning of the  earth. We are criticized by the elders as being nothing but Lazy, potheaded good for nothings. Yeah, thanks gramps, but at least I never had the chance to kill the earth like yourself. I think that this problem could have been solved decades ago, but our lust for cars (or should I say, our GREAT GREAT GREAT grandparents love for everything powered by gas and fossil fuels) have pushed us beyond that reality. We'll just have to do what we can and wait for the impending second iceage. You know, this isn't what I had in mind for a graduation present grandmother....

Posted Image

When you are suffering, know that I, have betrayed you.

#41    Roj47

Roj47

Psychic Spy

• 1,149 posts

• If I believed the world was going to end in the next 10 years..... I would sell up and travel to see as much of it as I could.

Posted 04 August 2006 - 09:20 AM

True, but our older generations were not aware of the impact on the environment.

The difference is that we have pretty much known since the 60s and certainly since the 80s that there could be a relationship between our living and environmental impact, but nothing is particularly moving forward to help.

What is really awkward is that USA/ UK etc.... Had their industrial revolution with all the pollutants, which has lead us to where we are today.
Yet we look at China and frown on their actions. Has to be an air of bad taste if there is too much involvement.....

What I have learned this week is that the USA (and Germany) and pumping a huge amount of money into making homes more environmentally healthy..... whether by aid or grants etc.... The UK is lacking behind somewhat.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#42    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,085 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:28 AM

You can repair the ozone....they send some kinda chemical in a rocket into the hole we have created and well it repairs it until next time....but if the hole gets to large...it is hopeless to attempt repair....we should take consideration and stop while we can.

Ozone forms naturally. yes.gif

#43    Roj47

Roj47

Psychic Spy

• 1,149 posts

• If I believed the world was going to end in the next 10 years..... I would sell up and travel to see as much of it as I could.

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:32 AM

Ozone forms naturally. yes.gif

And here is an exciting explanation of how -

http://www.atmosphere.mpg.de/enid/m2.html

Posted Image
Posted Image

#44    Celumnaz

Celumnaz

Telekinetic

• 7,039 posts

• I don't know what I don't know.

Posted 04 August 2006 - 12:51 PM

(said in a corny "reefer madness" black and white 50's educational movie voice) You mean ozone isn't depleated by evil capitalists using freon and aresol sprays, but rather by the sun?

#45    Roj47

Roj47

Psychic Spy

• 1,149 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 01:24 PM

(said in a corny "reefer madness" black and white 50's educational movie voice) You mean ozone isn't depleated by evil capitalists using freon and aresol sprays, but rather by the sun?

laugh.gif

(very fake laugh) hahaha.... No young Tommy. Ozone is in fact destroyed by Russians.
That is why whenever we see tall pale people we must alert the local sheriff whom will deport them back.

Freeing our shores and saving the ozone at the same time.

Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users