Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sphinx Tunnel Confirmed?

Starlyte

Dr Hawass confirms existence of Sphinx tunnel...we think.

user posted image

The online student newspaper at SMU, the SMU Daily Campus, is carrying an interesting story on Dr Zahi Hawass, Secretary General of Egypt's SCA. Speaking in a lecture hall on his passion for archaeology, Dr Hawass mentioned investigations into tunnels under the Giza Plateau.

Hawass received gasps from the audience when he revealed a secret about King Khefre.

He said that Khafre built the Sphinx and that there is a secret tunnel that leads from the base of the Sphinx to Khafre’s pyramid. He has confirmed his hypothesis, but unfortunately, the tunnel only extends 45 feet and there is nothing on the inside.

The story goes on to mention that Dr Hawass was excavating the tunnel at the time of Bill Clinton's visit a number of years ago. We are left to wonder at the motivation, therefore, behind the new scheme to map the 'labyrinth' beneath the Plateau, that Dr Hawass announced recently.

huh.gif

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pete Vanderzwet

• quaneeri

• Starlyte

• MichaelS

Here ia a LINK to an SMU article. Starlyte sums it up pretty well. The article doesn't add much more to what she posted.

Supposedly, according to Edgar Cayce, there is a chamber below the front feet of the Sphinx that holds great knowledge and treasure of Atlantis. Maybe this tunnel leads to it?

"It would be well if this entity were to seek either of the three phases of the ways and means in which those records of the activities of individuals were preserved -- the one in the Atlantean land, that sank, which will rise and is rising again; another in the place of the records that leadeth from the Sphinx to the hall of records, in the Egyptian land; and another in the Aryan or Yucatan land, where the temple there is overshadowing same. (2012-1; Sep 25, 1939)"

"...the entity joined with those who were active in putting the records in forms that were partially of the old characters of the ancient or early Egyptian, and part in the newer form of the Atlanteans. These may be found, especially when the house or tomb of records is opened, in a few years from now. (2537-1; Jul 17, 1941) ...[the entity] was among the first to set the records that are yet to be discovered or yet to be had of those activities in the Atlantean land, and for the preservation of data that is yet to be found from the chambers of the way between the Sphinx and the pyramid of records. (3575-2; Jan 20, 1944)"

"Q: Give in detail what the sealed room contains.

A: A record of Atlantis from the beginning of those periods when the Spirit took form, or began the encasements in that land; and the developments of the peoples throughout their sojourn; together with the record of the first destruction, and the changes that took place in the land; with the record of the sojournings of the peoples and their varied activities in other lands, and a record of the meetings of all the nations or lands, for the activities in the destruction of Atlantis; and the building of the pyramid of initiation, together with whom, what, and where the opening of the records would come, that are as copies from the sunken Atlantis. For with the change, it [Atlantis] must rise again. In position, this lies -- as the sun rises from the waters -- as the line of the shadows (or light) falls between the paws of the Sphinx; that was set later as the sentinel or guard and which may not be entered from the connecting chambers from the Sphinx's right paw until the time has been fulfilled when the changes must be active in this sphere of man's experience. Then [it lies] between the Sphinx and the river. (378-16; Oct 29, 1933)"

In several of his readings, Cayce stated that the survivors of the lost continent of Atlantis had brought with them records relating to their earliest history. These, he said, were carefully buried in a secret chamber somewhere near to the Great Sphinx, which stands guard like a sentinel over the Pyramids of Giza. A second set of these records was taken, he said, by other survivors of the disaster to be buried somewhere in the Yucatan area of Mexico. He also said that a third set of records still resides in the heart of Atlantis itself.

CLICK

Edited by schadeaux

Do you have any links to this story.

Wow, I cannot believe I forgot to post the link to the story. How very unlike me. Thanks for the SMU link Shadeaux! Here is the link to the story I posted: CLICK HERE

A while ago it was said that there would be a televised breaking ope of the space between the sphinx's feet, it was penned into happen in 2000 but never did, but seismalogical tests were carried out at the time.

I think, if i knew about Atlantis, it would spoil the mystery.

But, then again.... no harm in wishing!

How many of these ancient secrets do you think ancient societies left for us to find?

After all, most pyramids clearly tell visitors that curses will happen to them should they enter the pyramids and buildings. They obviously were not made to be tourist attractions by the Egyptians.

But, it would be great to discover things like the Shroud of Turin, The Holy Grail and indeed, the supposed 'Great Library' of the Egyptians.

A while ago it was said that there would be a televised breaking ope of the space between the sphinx's feet, it was penned into happen in 2000 but never did, but seismalogical tests were carried out at the time.

Yeah, i also saw a program about 2-years ago saying that they were going to look under the sphinx's feet, i am sure that it was Dr Hawass.

I think they were having a problem at the time with water under the sphinx, and that they had to pump some section out. ?

I have some images somewhere of a door in the sphinx's feet, i will try to find them.

It has only just struck me how amazing the Sphinx is.

How the heck would you start to create that?

• 1 month later...

Nice pics and a very interesting story. I watched a couple of shows with Dr. Hawass, and boy were they overdramtic (the prodcers and the hosts) when they were opening up a door or something I can't remember. It was on NBC a couple of years ago. Two hours wasted I could be watching (or doing something) else then that! Crappy show(s). disgust.gifwhistling2.gif

Sorry I,ve entered this discussion late, and maybe a bit off target but restoration work on the Sphinx was needed due to water damage (rain). I read this in an article some years back, It did not explain were all the rain had come from or when ! Can anybody cast some light on this for me ?

I agree with Cuda, "overdramatic" is a good word. I respect the passion and the hard work Dr Hawass has done over the years, however he seems to overstage everyone else. He loves the power as head of the Antiquities Board, and is quick to stomp on other archeologists when they make a claim. There was a recent case where he banned an English scholar/archeologists from entering the country, simply due to her opposing view on the discovery of some mummy she claimed to be Nefertiti. He does not "own" archeology. mad.gif

• 9 months later...

ive posted this many times in previous replies of the sphinx, but i will say, i read that the sphinx could have been built by survivors of atlantis, and that is very interesting, because atlantis survivors could have been around the same date the sphinx was built, its also said that Atlantis or part of it is under the sphinx, and the survivors built over it for a monument. But maybe they helped the egyptians build a statue of there king, ya no the civilization of atlantis is very far and i bet still would be further then us in technology, i dont no how they did it but they did!

Underwhelming.

For one, that story is entirely made up. Those holes in the back of the sphinx you show pictures of have been known since the 1950s. They were made by tomb robbers looking for something in or under the sphinx. There is one behind the sphinx stela too. They contain nothing and go nowhere.

The existence of a chamber underneath the paw of the sphinx was proven by a Japanese archaeology team right around 2000(?). To no surprise the Egyptian government won't allow anyone to excavate.

When I was in Egypt my tour guide told about the door at base of the sphinx he said every couple of years they erect scaffolding all over the sphinx... but he said (that is the tour guide) its not make repairs to the sphinx but to keep the general public away becuase in the evening they have ques of limosines that come to the entrance were a kind free mason society hold wired richouls (complete with costumes) inside the sphinx chambers.

Being me I did ask him How he new all this...(I did quiz thoroughly) he said he grow up in gazza and locals vangabonds are given money to stay away from the area at certain times and as kid him and his friends use to see the limosines arriveing in the evening at first he thought it was a fancy dress party but said it was some kind boogy cermonie.

I even asked his father about this he said it's true the locals just keep away... even the egyption police know about this... but they are paid very well to keep there mouth shut.

Just thought I share that with you... What do you guy's think...

I must say that is pretty unreal to hear about a sort of 'society' going into the sphinx chambers after dark to perform rituals or what not.

The sphinx has always amazed me, as well as the pyramids, just for the sheer engineering brilliance it would have taken to lift those massive lime/sand stone blocks, and the structural excellence.

As some people might now, the pyramids are said to point out certain stars perfectly via the tip, so that each pyramid represents a specific star in the night sky.

Does anyone remember the face that was created on Mars and discovered a few years back?

devil.gif

The secret society? Im pretty skeptical of this. The face on mars? That was a trick of light.

You used to be able to "rent" the enclosure, and a lot of newagers did for meditation and the like. The first time I was in Egypt was dulled by entering the GP's Kings Chamber and finding a bunch of meditating ******s in the KC demanding people make it quick because we were disturbing their meditions. For some reason, Egyptian history attracts a lot of people who don't actually want to learn about Egyptian history.

The idea of a tunnel running from the Sphinx to one of the Great Pyramids is not a new idea. Graham Hancock posited this idea in his book, "Message of the Sphinx". It'd be interesting to see if they actually allow any sort of excavation, or Hawass, at the first sniff of evidence contrary to orthodox Egyptology shuts it... again...

And it's believed that it wasn't a "secret society"- but rather a rite of ceremony to prepare the Pharoh to understand some sort of information.

Edited by Stewey1972

Excavation- when done right, won't damage the monuments- rather it'll reveal more of the monuments such as this tunnel. I'm not saying he should let people just dig willy nilly- but after concerted study, and when the proof is concrete, let a dig commence.

He has a habit of denying research and exploration that runs counter to orthodox Egyptological though and theory.

alien.gif Ive read that when the library in Alexandrea was sacked for the last time they destroyed about 10,000 years of pre- history. I really would like to see if any thing is under there. Can you imagine the stories they would tell.