Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Human Perception

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1    cyrus11

cyrus11

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 10:23 AM

i've always wondred.. how animals that has night vision have built in reflective cells in their retina and so that when flashlight shines on their eyes at night it reflects the light and gives off a glow... thus serving a purpose....

well..since we do not have such cells in our eyes, when lights shine in our eyes at night. our eyes do not glow... although a strange thing happens when UV light hits our eyes.. it glows just as brightly as it does with animals under normal light.. althought we cannot see it with out naked eyes.. it shows clearly in the night vision cameras.  i wonder what that purpose serves? do we really have uv reflective cells? if so, what purpose does it serve when we cannot see uv spectrum? and what is the limit of what any human being sees?

can the fact that certain people are able to sense spectrums of light that most normal cannot because of special wiring in their visual cortex? thus explaining being able to see ghosts and other phenomenon?  well.. just a thought.

#2    Mox Nix

Mox Nix

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:18 PM

i've always wondred.. how animals that has night vision have built in reflective cells in their retina and so that when flashlight shines on their eyes at night it reflects the light and gives off a glow... thus serving a purpose....

Just curious . . . reflected light in an animals eyes serves what purpose?

#3    cyrus11

cyrus11

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:50 PM

the reflected light inside the eye of an animal allows it to see more detail at night.
thus a cat's night vision is 6x better than humans.... it all has to do with how the light is reflected off these cells.. and re-intensifies inside he eyeball so that the eye can gather more info from the available light source....   don't you know that? i thought most people know this?

#4    Cjk10000

Cjk10000

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:52 PM

the reflected light inside the eye of an animal allows it to see more detail at night.
thus a cat's night vision is 6x better than humans.... it all has to do with how the light is reflected off these cells.. and re-intensifies inside he eyeball so that the eye can gather more info from the available light source....   don't you know that? i thought most people know this?

I doubt most people know that tongue.gif

Now UV stuff is cool. Maybe we do, or maybe UV is a special type of ray.
Did you take physics? Just wondering?

#5    dani10

dani10

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

• "They are barking, Sancho, so let's ride"
    - The Quixote

Posted 01 August 2006 - 04:26 AM

Humans don't have that because we don't need it. Oh darn I don't remember how to say this in english, but it is all about your body changing over the years to be able to subsist wherever you live.
You know, it's like the eskimals. They have waaay more fat but that's because their bodies are used to make more fat in order for them to subsist.

#6    cyrus11

cyrus11

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 08:38 AM

mmmm actually, i don't think a lot of creatures on this planet can see the UV spectrum.
just like a lot of animals cannot see the color red. so when you shine red light on them they won't notice it.......  after thinking about it for a while, i believe that the reason our eyes glows in the night vision camera because the inside of our eyeball is dark, and that our eyeball's lens refract/reflect the UV light. like a mirror effect. so it seems like we too have reflective cells in our retina......  on an interesting note....the mantis shrimp are able to see polarized light, and other spectrums that us humans cannot see.  grin2.gif

#7    ShaunZero

ShaunZero

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,339 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 09:47 AM

Hmmm. Now that I think about it, it's pretty weird. I wonder if that's also why some people can see auras?

"What if there were no hypothetical questions?" ~ George Carlin
Are you a cynic?

#8    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,085 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 06:06 PM

thus explaining being able to see ghosts and other phenomenon? well.. just a thought.

In that case, equipment that is capable of seeing large portions of the electromagnetic spectrum would be able to detect ghosts easily; which isn't the case.

By the way, night vision uses near Infra-Red, not Ultra-Violet.
I'm guessing that Infra-Red waves are just more capable of reflecting of the human retina than visible light, due to their longer wavelength.

Humans don't have that because we don't need it. Oh darn I don't remember how to say this in english, but it is all about your body changing over the years to be able to subsist wherever you live.
You know, it's like the eskimals. They have waaay more fat but that's because their bodies are used to make more fat in order for them to subsist.

Evolution.

Edited by Raptor X7, 01 August 2006 - 06:08 PM.

#9    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 03 August 2006 - 12:34 PM

damn RX7, you beat me to it...

It's evolution!

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

#10    mklsgl

mklsgl

just me

• 3,153 posts

• They're selling postcards of the hanging
    They're painting the passports brown
    The beauty parlor's filled with sailors
    The circus is in town

Posted 03 August 2006 - 06:02 PM

Or, more specifically, Adaptation.

Grateful Dead; July, 31, 1982 @ Manor Downs, Manor, TX
"Yes it's 'T' For Texas"
Be Here Now!

#11    Celumnaz

Celumnaz

Telekinetic

• 7,039 posts

• I don't know what I don't know.

Posted 03 August 2006 - 06:18 PM

Or, more specifically, Adaptation.

thumbsup.gif That's the word I was thinking of too. tongue.gif

If someone were able to see the UV... would everything seen in it look purple?

#12    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,085 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 07:59 PM

damn RX7, you beat me to it...

tongue.gif

If someone were able to see the UV... would everything seen in it look purple?

As far as I know it's impossible to say. There isn't any way to see how the brain would interpret the signals, it could be violet, but it could just as well be any other colour, as well as perhaps a completely new one altogether. I'd have to say that out of those options, it would be a new colour, resembling violet more than any other.

#13    TooFarGone

TooFarGone

Blissfully Chaotic

• 3,682 posts

• I am chaos at its finest

Posted 06 August 2006 - 04:39 PM

I'm not sure if this is completly relavent to the topic or not, but human eyes are made up of millions of cones and rods...which are the photoreceptors which recieve the light, and help us see.

Cones are what we use in light...cones are able to make out colors, shades etc. But, when it is completly dark, our eyes switch over to using rods. Rods are more sensitive, but can't detect color as well, so they are very well adapted for the dark. perhapes because of it's high sensitivity, rods are more able to reflect UV rays?

Too / FarGone
TooFar_Gone
TooFa/ rGone
TooFarG_one
T_oo/FarGone
Too/Far_Gone
Too_Far_Gone

#14    illumanati

illumanati

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 11:07 PM

bats can see uv light at least all the ones iv spoken too. wacko.gif

#15    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,085 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 11:10 PM

bats can see uv light at least all the ones iv spoken too. wacko.gif

Only some species do, most don't. All bats use echolocation though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users