Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mars August 2006

Bogeyman

Theres an e-mail doing the rounds stating that Mars will be closer this month than it's ever been (in recorded history) ....stating it will actually be full moon size in the sky at the end of the month.....this cant be true ....can it ?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BurnSide

• Bogeyman

• Raptor

• Waspie_Dwarf

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as i am aware, i'm afraid it's not.

While i didn't recieve the email myself, it was posted on another board i frequent. Something about on the 27th it'll be the closest it's ever been in 5000 years, right? And visible beside the moon?

That's untrue, sadly. But i am not aware if it will at least be visible or not, which has been known to happen.

That news is actually 3 years old. In August 2003 Mars came closer than it has done before for almost 60,000 years, at a distance of around 50 million km.

As usual with anything like this, it's been greatly exaggerated. When it appeared it looked like a bright red star, nothing fantastic to look at unless you have some decent equipment.

The Red Planet is getting progressively closer to Earth with each passing night, and consequently it will slowly appear to grow larger and brighter [story/animations]. By late August 2003, when it will be about 191 million miles closer, the reddish point of light in our night sky will appear more than six times larger and shine some 85 times brighter than it appears now.

At 5:51 a.m. EDT on Aug. 27, 2003, Mars will be within 34,646,418 miles (55,758,006 kilometers) of Earth. This will be the closest that Mars has come to our planet in nearly 60,000 years.

Space.com

Old news

This subject has already been covered in this thread: Look to the skies next month.