Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

China OK's hunting of endangered species

__Kratos__

BEIJING, China (Reuters) -- China is to auction licenses to foreigners to hunt wild animals, including endangered species, a newspaper said on Wednesday.

The government would auction licenses based on types and numbers of wild animals, ranging from about $200 for a wolf, the only carnivore on the list, to as much as $40,000 for a yak, the Beijing Youth Daily said.

The auction, taking place on Sunday in Chengdu, capital of the southwestern province of Sichuan, would be the first of its kind in Chinese history, it added.

"Some animals are from the first and second category of national wildlife protection, but with the strict limitations in place, the hunting could not destroy wild animal populations," the daily said.

The report made no mention of the endangered giant panda, some 1,500 of which survive in nature reserves in southwestern China.

Five western areas, including Qinghai, Shaanxi and Gansu provinces and the autonomous regions of Ningxia and Xinjiang, are involved in the auction.

Hunting of animals is popular with Chinese who like to eat exotic meats or use animal parts in medicines for their perceived aphrodisiac or medicinal properties.

But the hunting licenses would be available only to foreigners, given China's strict rules on gun control, the daily said.

"Hunting is not slaughtering," it quoted an official at a wild animal protection department as saying.

Proceeds from the auction would be used for wild animal protection, the report said.

Source

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:angry2: What the hell? I hate 'sport' hunting. :no: Hunt for meat or not at all. :angry: Then, if you do hunt... Don't shoot a bloody animal on the endangered species!! What are they thinking allowing the deaths of the rarest animals on the globe?! I'm thinking the wrong animals are being shot here. <_<

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ~sYMBIONt~

• __Kratos__

• Jok3r

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

thats horrible they wont have those species anymore :no:

what about the pandas its bad enough they cut down the forests they live in but now they are HUNTING them too

Yea it's sad but it's not like we can do anything about it. I really don't see the thrill of killing an animal, unless it is for survivial reasons. Other than that, I find it kinda sick. The fact that the species are endangered is even worse.