Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Nasa Study: Exploration or Waste of Money

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16    Poseidon3012

Poseidon3012

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 16 posts

• Knowledge is not made, it is to be unlocked

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:45 PM

Look, we are dropping billions of dollars on NASA while there is a war going on. The war on Iraq needs as much help from the U.S. government as it can get. People say that it is necessary to continue with this research, that we can discover new things. Well, it you study all things long enough you do discover new things, some as huge as discoveries from NASA. But since it's too costly, we're going to have to cut NASA's budget to make room for war. The sooner we can win this war, the sooner we can focus on NASA more.

#17    leadbelly

leadbelly

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 02:19 AM

Like I said, the Pentagon is running on probably $500 billion. Other costs are to keep the shipping lanes open, classified programs, veterans, etc. The war has been adding
probably $80-100 billion, annually.

The main problem now is another war- civil war inside Iraq. And, problems in Afghanistan.

But look at the result. We are poised for action, and energy.

In the image below, light and dark blue lines are proposed and existing pipelines. The aircraft represent existing foward bases (and in the Southern Arabia Sea is Diego Garcia). It relates to business for oil companies, and supplies for all potential interests. Russia is cozying up to China, selling them a lot of energy. It's still not enough, though. China is all over southwest Asia, Africa, and Venezuela.

NASA is having its outside peeled, but it does not offset the war, significantly. Plus, the Pentagon is always motivated to consolidate future power for the U.S. Heck, we went to war in Viet Nam, and spent historic amounts at NASA, and LBJ still ran a surplus!

Attached Files

• Attached File  39.jpg   246.41K   15 downloads

Edited by leadbelly, 18 August 2006 - 02:19 PM.

#18    Pax Unum

Pax Unum

< 420 Conspirator >

• 18,702 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

Posted 18 August 2006 - 01:43 PM

personally I'm disappointed by NASA, I saw the Moon landings as a kid, now people claim it was a hoax. I can't think of anything that NASA has done that really effects my life... and I'll probably be dead before NASA or anyone else go to mars... waste of money

#19    RamboIII

RamboIII

Killer Without Reason

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,124 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:39 PM

Poseidon, why not let NASA workers do their work and millitary officials do theirs? Our budget crisis is not a matter of lack of focus, rather a matter of stupidity. I think the war on Iraq has little to do with preventing NASA do anything. I'm really going to go with Waspie on this one, the exploration of science is the key to power. We may be in a terrible debt, but it will be forgotten if we find life on Mars.

#20    RamboIII

RamboIII

Killer Without Reason

• Banned
  • 2,124 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 10:49 PM

However, that is a slight chance of course, but my question is more "what if".

#21    Startraveler

Startraveler

Fleet Captain

• 4,492 posts

• Knowledge Brings Fear.

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:27 PM

It's hard to question NASA's value but I'm not sure I like what they're doing these days.

Three NASA advisers resign
Whether by choice or because they were asked, three science committee members have parted ways with NASA.

NASA's Advisory Council science committee, a body that advises NASA Administrator Michael Griffin on issues facing the space agency, now has three fewer advisers. The space agency announced the resignations of Wesley T. Huntress, Jr., Charles F. Kennel, and Eugene Levy August 16. NASA Advisory Council Chair Harrison H. Schmitt said of their abrupt departure in a status-report memo, "Each of these individuals provided valuable input to the Science Committee and the Council during the time in which they served, and both Mike [Griffin] and I are grateful to them for this service."

While adviser Kennel offered his resignation, Huntress and Levy did not NASA Administrator Michael Griffin asked them to resign. Levy believes the three advisers' push to keep NASA's science program broad "didn't comport with the kind of advice that the administrator and the chairman of the committee were looking for." Levy also said he was "a little unclear" whether his outspokenness regarding NASA's science budget cuts had anything to do with his forced resignation.

Levy, Huntress, and Kennel have recently been critical of NASA limiting its science budget to a paltry 1.5-percent growth in 2007 and a nearly stagnant 1-percent growth each year through 2010. Although the former advisers were unavailable for comment, Huntress told Space News, "This was not a science-budget protest," adding the "resignations were over principle."

Kennel, who voluntarily resigned, is the author of the article, "Don't abandon science at NASA," published in the July/August 2006 issue of The Planetary Report.

Astronomy

#22    ROGER

ROGER

Government Agent

• 3,460 posts

• Sticks and stone didnt break my bone,
    But old age is starting to Hurt me!

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:56 PM

disgust.gif One of the down falls of the U.S. Government is that with a new president and administration is usually followed by Budget cuts , as each politician pushes for his or her own "Pork Projects". NASA has seen many of these over the years. So it will be interesting to see what changes happen after 2008.  

President Bushes dreams of going to the Moon and Mars may come to a grinding halt!

The world can't end in 2012, I have a yogurt that expires in 2013.

#23    Flag Bearer

Flag Bearer

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:16 PM

It's hard to question NASA's value but I'm not sure I like what they're doing these days.
Astronomy

I read the article that Charles F. Kennel wrote and I found it quite interesting.

Have a look.

#24    RamboIII

RamboIII

Killer Without Reason

• Banned
  • 2,124 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:19 AM

That is a good article, indeed.
Many people support NASA because it supports 1,800 employees. Maybe it's not worth it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users