Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Evolution of intellegence

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1    Pilot28

Pilot28

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 56 posts

• My species is incapable of space flight on our own. This is the trade off we make for the chance to see the galaxy

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:10 PM

Well the question is simple what do you think will evolve intellegence next. I'm just curious to see what everyone thinks. Myself I'm not sure so I'll just throw out insects. What do you guys think?

Posted Image

I always hope for the best. Experience, unfortunately, has taught me to expect the worst.
                         -Garok.

#2    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,085 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:14 PM

I doubt insects will become intelligent, first of all there are the physical limitations which prevent any significant brain mass, and then there's also no need for them to evolve intelligence; they're extremely successful. Also they've been around for so long, you'd think that they would have evolved intelligence already. tongue.gif

Edited by Raptor X7, 24 August 2006 - 07:17 PM.

#3    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:16 PM

No one really knows that will become the next dominant animal after we humans are gone...The closest we can guess is to look at what is intelligent already...Dolphins, squid/octopus, etc.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

#4    Pilot28

Pilot28

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 56 posts

• My species is incapable of space flight on our own. This is the trade off we make for the chance to see the galaxy

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:16 PM

Well they could over come the size limitation in the right enviroment. They have before. But your probably right. So what do you think is likely to evolve intellegence?

Posted Image

I always hope for the best. Experience, unfortunately, has taught me to expect the worst.
                         -Garok.

#5    BurnSide

BurnSide

Through the Looking Glass

• 25,390 posts

• “Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you.”

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:19 PM

Insects are already perfectly suited to their environments, they have no need to evolve 'intelligence' as you have defined it. They already have exactly what they need to survive as a species generally. They have been around far longer than anything else, and will be around far longer yet.
Nothing on earth at the moment, with the exception of the Primates (which i've always found to be a very egostatistical word) needs to evolve intelligence past what it currently has. Maybe in a few million we'll see new species create forms of art and entertainment and adapt more sophistcated uses of tools, but as it is there wont be anything. (Again, with the exception of other Primates, who are already as a species not far behind us)

#6    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,085 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:24 PM

Well they could over come the size limitation in the right enviroment. They have before. But your probably right.

Eh, good point. I never really considered that they might be allowed to grow larger again in the future. thumbsup.gif

Insects are already perfectly suited to their environments, they have no need to evolve 'intelligence' as you have defined it.

yes.gif

So what do you think is likely to evolve intellegence?

There are many animals which already have quite a high degree of intelligence, such as dolphins, elephants and octopuses. Perhaps they will get more intelligent as they evolve, but it really is almost impossible to tell for certain.

#7    zandore

zandore

EX-Christian

• 9,640 posts

• “I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.”
    Genghis Khan

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:40 PM

Nothing on earth at the moment, with the exception of the Primates (which i've always found to be a very egostatistical word) needs to evolve intelligence past what it currently has. Maybe in a few million we'll see new species create forms of art and entertainment and adapt more sophistcated uses of tools, but as it is there wont be anything. (Again, with the exception of other Primates, who are already as a species not far behind us)

unsure.gif
Umm BurnSide....not trying to get off topic here but we humans (well most of us seem to be) are primates.

Domain: Eukaryota
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Primates
Family: Hominidae
Genus: Homo
Species: H. sapiens
Subspecies: H. s. sapiens

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy,
education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary.
Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear
of punishment and hope of reward after death."

Albert Einstein

Survey Says....

#8    BurnSide

BurnSide

Through the Looking Glass

• 25,390 posts

• “Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you.”

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:47 PM

I'm well aware of that, why do you think i said i considered it an egostatistical word? Because we named our selves 'Pri' mates. The Primary species.

#9    Twitch98

Twitch98

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 233 posts

• Syncronicity can't explain ALL the strangeness

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:13 PM

I haven't got a clue on that one.  I'm still wrestling with how proto-humans and humans lept ahead in intelligence at an unprecidented rate relative to any previous species. blink.gif

Posted Image
Many of us only wish to discuss the possibilities.

#10    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:22 PM

I haven't got a clue on that one. I'm still wrestling with how proto-humans and humans lept ahead in intelligence at an unprecidented rate relative to any previous species

Your answer is evolution thumbsup.gif

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#11    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,085 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:37 PM

Your answer is evolution thumbsup.gif

And also hallucinogenics, apparently. Click.

Does anyone happen to know if this hypothesis was ever unverified?

#12    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:44 PM

Does anyone happen to know if this hypothesis was ever unverified

Never heard of it...I don't think that would play a big part...

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#13    Roj47

Roj47

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

• If I believed the world was going to end in the next 10 years..... I would sell up and travel to see as much of it as I could.

Posted 25 August 2006 - 08:08 AM

If humans are around they would surely murder any threat of intelligence in another species.

What would you consider as intelligence? If it is what we are today, then of (wow..... trying to think.... duh!) x billion years there has only been intelligence for 50k years.

Lose humans and the Earth could be destroyed before similar evolves again.

Before you read this next bit I just want to clarify that I do not ever see this happening, and would love to be proven wrong.

For me the next most likely form of intelligence to be on Earth could be alien.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#14    Twitch98

Twitch98

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 233 posts

• Syncronicity can't explain ALL the strangeness

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:03 PM

No normal-paced evolution doesn't account for later humans' leaps in intelligence.  The idea of evolution is that a rudimenrary organism develops into its present state through  successive generations.  Each can be measured progressionally and gradually.

Gradual and predictable progression is ubiquitous in all species.  Gradually increasing brain size coupled with intellect and progress in socialization should produce an expected and predicted result.  Humankinds' explosive intellectual advances have no precident in any other species. blink.gif

Posted Image
Many of us only wish to discuss the possibilities.

#15    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:07 PM

Gradual and predictable progression is ubiquitous in all species. Gradually increasing brain size coupled with intellect and progress in socialization should produce an expected and predicted result. Humankinds' explosive intellectual advances have no precident in any other species

Not in punctuated equillibrium thumbsup.gif

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users