Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

100 Slaughtered Elephants Found in Africa

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 12:51 AM

Researchers said today they found 100 slaughtered elephants near Africa's Zakouma National Park.

Until 35 years ago, Zakouma, located in the southeastern portion of the landlocked Republic of Chad, was one of the most undamaged wilderness areas in Africa.  The region, then home to about 300,000 elephants, now only has about 10,000.

Most recently, during an aerial survey made from Aug. 3 to Aug. 11, Mike Fay, a Wildlife Conservation Society conservationist and        National Geographic Explorer-in-Residence found five elephant massacre sites. [Image]

"Zakouma elephants are getting massacred right before our eyes," Fay said. "We hadn't been in the air more than two hours when we saw our first carcass. It was fresh, maybe just a few weeks old, not far from the park headquarters, and the animal's face had been chopped off, the tusks removed."

The poaching of the elephants, Fay discovered, started in May. About 50 of them were killed only days before their carcasses were spotted.

At one site, the team saw a poacher's camp from their small plane with five men and six horses. The men abandoned camp as soon as they spotted the plane.

"The second time we passed over I saw a guy and a horse and an assault rifle in the poacher's hands," Fay said. "The third time we flew over, this time only about 150 feet above the camp, I could see the man shooting at us."

No one got hurt.

Although elephants are protected in the park, and hunting them is illegal in Chad, the many that leave the park during wet season are left open to attack.

Conservationists are now worried that this latest find could mean that poaching is on the rise in the area.

The Chadian government and EU officials, which have provided funding to Zakouma, plan to increase protection for the region by increasing aerial surveys and providing patrols in the area during the wet season.

Source
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeez, that sucks. disgust.gif

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

#2    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 31 August 2006 - 12:54 AM

God, and all they could find was one camp? They even abandoned the camp. They should follow the examples set by other African nations and India to send in soldiers to protect the reserve and kill any poachers.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

#3    girty1600

girty1600

MRS. FALCO

• 6,654 posts

• "Just because I don't care...... doesn't mean I don't understand!"

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:32 AM

That is just so sad. Something should be done.

kill any poachers.

Like that.

#4    MadEyePixie

MadEyePixie

Beware the Eye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

• "That's one nice thing about carousels, they always play the same songs." -Holden Caulfield

Posted 03 September 2006 - 02:46 AM

That's so terrible!

God, and all they could find was one camp? They even abandoned the camp. They should follow the examples set by other African nations and India to send in soldiers to protect the reserve and kill any poachers.

I agree. Have them chop the poachers' faces off and see how they like it.

"Don't call me seņor! I'm not a Spanish person. You must call me Mr. Biggles, or Group Captain Biggles, or Mary Biggles if I'm dressed as my wife, but never seņor."

-Graham Chapman

Posted Image

"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

-Michael Palin

Proud Member of The SPAM Club

#5    ReviewDude

ReviewDude

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

• I'd rather be unknown in a group I respect; than a legend in a group I despise.

Posted 03 September 2006 - 02:50 AM

That's a terrible thing to happen, but I suppose it's not an isolated issue. Sure, kill the poachers  original.gif , but we need a longer term solution...

Back in business!

People who are cool because they call me nice things:

capoeiranger | Sympa Sheri | Arbiter22

#6    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 03:00 AM

but I suppose it's not an isolated issue

Sadly, this is quite common in many African game reserves...Maybe not to this extent, but it is common sad.gif

Sure, kill the poachers  , but we need a longer term solution...

Army patrols, rangers, AND killing the poachers.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#7    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 33,060 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 03 September 2006 - 03:08 AM

The only way that poaching will ever be stopped will be to destroy the market for ivory. But with so much ivory already in circulation this will be next to impossible. People will always be greedy enough to risk their lives for a big enough financial reward.

Poachers are easy to blame for the decline in elephants, and whilst they are a huge problem they are not the major cause. The destruction of the elephants habitat is the main cause. Elephants will not survive if they become more and more restricted to ever decreasing parkland. They need to wander.

I have been lucky enough to visit Africa twice and see these magnificant creatures in the wild, I just hope that in 100 years others will be able to say the same.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#8    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 03:14 AM

The destruction of the elephants habitat is the main cause. Elephants will not survive if they become more and more restricted to ever decreasing parkland. They need to wander.

Not in a reserve or game refuge...

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#9    ReviewDude

ReviewDude

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

• I'd rather be unknown in a group I respect; than a legend in a group I despise.

Posted 03 September 2006 - 10:25 AM

The only way that poaching will ever be stopped will be to destroy the market for ivory. But with so much ivory already in circulation this will be next to impossible. People will always be greedy enough to risk their lives for a big enough financial reward.

Which is a pity, when there are so many other non-ivory alternatives. I mean, the only people that will buy them is the very rich - who can afford the death of a few men.

Poachers are easy to blame for the decline in elephants, and whilst they are a huge problem they are not the major cause. The destruction of the elephants habitat is the main cause. Elephants will not survive if they become more and more restricted to ever decreasing parkland. They need to wander.

I agree with that. Whilst poachers are the obvious killers of these magnificent animals, habitat destroys thousands more - but in a slower, less obvious way. We are all responsible for what goes on.

I have been lucky enough to visit Africa twice and see these magnificant creatures in the wild, I just hope that in 100 years others will be able to say the same.

I think by then the only place to see them will be in zoos, or museuems. And it's a terrible situation we all have to live up to.

Back in business!

#10    glenndo4000

glenndo4000

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 07:54 PM

habitat destroys thousands more - but in a slower, less obvious way

and a less horrific way, they had thier faces chopped off for godssake! we as a race are shameful. this is nearly as bad as the post where dogs are used for shark bait.
we ain't right dude!!!  angry.gif

One day, eagles will rule the world...

#11    glenndo4000

glenndo4000

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 07:58 PM

and can't scientists somehow breed elephants so they don't grow tusks? or give them drugs at young ages to prevent tusks growing? thus elimanating the source of ivory, i mean, do we really need ivory?
thumbsup.gif

#12    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,085 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:19 PM

and a less horrific way, they had thier faces chopped off for godssake! we as a race are shameful. this is nearly as bad as the post where dogs are used for shark bait.
we ain't right dude!!!  angry.gif

Why are so many people so eager to point out how terrible humans are?

As a race, we're amazing. Just because some groups of people leave a trail of destruction, that doesn't mean all humans are evil.

and can't scientists somehow breed elephants so they don't grow tusks? or give them drugs at young ages to prevent tusks growing? thus elimanating the source of ivory, i mean, do we really need ivory?
thumbsup.gif

Many elephants are already being born without tusks as an evolutionary defense. While that means those elephants will not be poached, the elephants will be crippled without them.

#13    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:21 PM

Well, I use fish for shark bait...Isn't that just as bad?

Why would you want to do that? It's unethical.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#14    ReviewDude

ReviewDude

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:39 PM

Why would you want to do that? It's unethical.

I agree, it's not fair to remove its defence mechanism - I mean, it's like breeding skinless cows to stop leather producers (what an analogy). We need to cut this at grass roots, being removing any need for ivory - by making an acceptable substitute.

Back in business!

#15    glenndo4000

glenndo4000

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:56 PM

yeah but is it fair to slaughter them for thier tusks?
its like would you rather be born dead? or born without hands?
i take back what i say about the human race being disgraceful but its just wierd using dogs as shark bait i mean whats the point?
thumbsup.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users