Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Faith the cow gives birth to triplets

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    girty1600

girty1600

MRS. FALCO

• 6,654 posts

• "Just because I don't care...... doesn't mean I don't understand!"

Posted 06 September 2006 - 10:16 PM

Arkansas Cow Has Fourth Set of Triplets
For fourth time, Ark. cow gives birth to triplets, the ninth time she's had a multiple birth

HARRIET, Ark., Sep. 6, 2006
(AP) For the fourth time, an Arkansas cow has given birth to triplets _ and it's the ninth time she has given birth to more than one calf at a time. The Charolais-mix cow named Faith has given birth to 22 calves in nine pregnancies _ each of them multiples.

"Our vet says she belongs in the Guinness Book of World Records," owner Jenny Williams said. "She's amazing." Veterinarian Dr. G.C. Blair confirmed the 10-year-old's amazing fertility.

According to researchers at Oklahoma State University, beef cattle have triplets in 1 out of about 105,000 pregnancies, and have twins in 1 out of about 250.

Faith gave birth to her latest set on Friday. Of her previous 18, 15 grew to maturity _ three died after birth, including one Friday, and one was carried off by a bear.

Faith lives at the Cedar Creek Ranch and Cattle Co., which is owned and managed by Bob and Jenny Williams, and Jenny's mother Laura Ewing. The farm purchased Faith and her mother from a neighbor a decade ago.

"She is a really sweet cow," she said. "We don't keep a cow unless she is."

Faith gave birth two twins in her first two pregancies and accidentally killed one of her first by rolling on the calf. The farm kept a heifer from the second set, Hope, and she has produced only single births.

Faith's triplets are almost the size of single birth calves, out of commercial cows bred to Limousin bulls. Jenny noted that Faith is a large cow, probably weighing 1,200 pounds while nursing a calf.

"She is huge before giving birth," she continued. "We can tell if she will gave twins or triplets by her size. In 2003 we said twins, and in 2004 we said triplets."

MMVI The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Fertile Cow

I grew up on a farm with cows and every few years we would see a cow give birth to twins but this is just amazing. blink.gif

#2    _Nyx_

_Nyx_

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 11,262 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 10:27 PM

I lived on a dairy farm for years and have seen a few sets of twins also....but never triplets...that's some cow..  wink2.gif

#3    girty1600

girty1600

MRS. FALCO

• 6,654 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 10:31 PM

that's some cow

laugh.gif That reminds me of Charlotte's Web by E.B.White for some reason! w00t.gif

#4    zukie&jim

zukie&jim

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

• nothing PC about a sidwinder exploding in a hot tail pipe !

Posted 06 September 2006 - 10:40 PM

i hope thats not the farm where the titan missile exploded and tossed a couple h-bombs out of their containers & spilling plutonium out on the ground  back in 1981?

#5    girty1600

girty1600

MRS. FALCO

• 6,654 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 10:53 PM

i hope thats not the farm where the titan missile exploded and tossed a couple h-bombs out of their containers & spilling plutonium out on the ground  back in 1981?

Multiple births = radiation?

I appriciate your concern for the cow but 15 of her 18 calves were healthy and lived. I think this is just an example of rare egg fertility.

Moo!

#6    jesspy

jesspy

Full of Wisdumb

• 8,113 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 11:58 AM

Arkansas cow has fourth set of triplets

HARRIET, Ark. - For the fourth time, an Arkansas cow has given birth to triplets - and it's the ninth time she has given birth to more than one calf at a time. The Charolais-mix cow named Faith has given birth to 22 calves in nine pregnancies - each of them multiples.

"Our vet says she belongs in the Guinness Book of World Records," owner Jenny Williams said. "She's amazing." Veterinarian Dr. G.C. Blair confirmed the 10-year-old's amazing fertility.

According to researchers at Oklahoma State University, beef cattle have triplets in 1 out of about 105,000 pregnancies, and have twins in 1 out of about 250.

Faith gave birth to her latest set on Friday. Of her previous 18, 15 grew to maturity - three died after birth, including one Friday, and one was carried off by a bear.

Faith lives at the Cedar Creek Ranch and Cattle Co., which is owned and managed by Bob and Jenny Williams, and Jenny's mother Laura Ewing. The farm purchased Faith and her mother from a neighbor a decade ago.

"She is a really sweet cow," she said. "We don't keep a cow unless she is."

Faith gave birth two twins in her first two pregancies and accidentally killed one of her first by rolling on the calf. The farm kept a heifer from the second set, Hope, and she has produced only single births.

Faith's triplets are almost the size of single birth calves, out of commercial cows bred to Limousin bulls. Jenny noted that Faith is a large cow, probably weighing 1,200 pounds while nursing a calf.

"She is huge before giving birth," she continued. "We can tell if she will gave twins or triplets by her size. In 2003 we said twins, and in 2004 we said triplets."

link

Mind tricks don't work on me, only money.

#7    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

• ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 08 September 2006 - 03:30 PM

and one was carried off by a bear.

accidentally killed one of her first by rolling on the calf.

ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif

Is it just me or is it a good thing this cow has more than one calf at once??  It takes her having a few at a time to keep one of the things alive!

#8    girty1600

girty1600

MRS. FALCO

• 6,654 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 04:54 PM

Already posted my friend

original.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users