Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghost Picture Challenge!

TwilightSilver

We all have seen so many pages here on UM featuring pictures of Ghosts and Orbs and such, and people's submissions for analysis. Some members here have gone to lengths to "Debunk" such photos as hoaxes and manipulations. I want to use this page for submissions of said photos to test the creative abilities of our members. Here's the challenge:

~Using photoshop or any other manipulation tool, create an ORIGINAL picture of a "Ghost".

~You can use any reference pictures you want to, just don't step over any copyright laws.

~Lets see who can create the most authentic looking picture of a "Ghost".

Hopefully, a moderator will step in to be the judge after a certain amount of pictures have been submitted. This will take some effort, I know, but hopefully we can see some creative talents make some truly realistic pictures! :tu:

Edited by TwilightSilver

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TwilightSilver

• bLu3 de 3n3rgy

• Mysterious Molecules

• NoahJaymes

We all have seen so many pages here on UM featuring pictures of Ghosts and Orbs and such, and people's submissions for analysis. Some members here have gone to lengths to "Debunk" such photos as hoaxes and manipulations. I want to use this page for submissions of said photos to test the creative abilities of our members. Here's the challenge:

~Using photoshop or any other manipulation tool, create an ORIGINAL picture of a "Ghost".

~You can use any reference pictures you want to, just don't step over any copyright laws.

Hopefully, a moderator will step in to be the judge after a certain amount of pictures have been submitted. This will take some effort, I know, but hopefully we can see some creative talents make some truly realistic pictures! :tu:

I really don't see the point of wasting time and helping to clog up the Internet with fake photos. It's bad enough with the amount of pictures sent in by pranksters and skoffers.

What possible purpose could there be in such a "competition"? We all know that ANYTHING can be faked nowadays, whether it be New York under ice or being bombarded by meteors, or people turning into animals on screen; all this using digital systems. The fact remains that, just because a ghost CAN be faked in a photograph, it does not mean that an apparition that appears in a photo must necessarily be a fake. Why do people want to hoax other people, anyway? What satisfaction can they get out of deceiving others excepting personal gratification? There is enough confusion in this field already. It would be better to hold a photographic competition on, say, scenes of everyday life, or the plight of the poor: something constructive. Lonecat :hmm:

Ime with lonecat on this one we dont need more fake pics to confuse people with genuiin interest in this topic..

Is there a moderator can this thread be pulled? :tu:

Ime with lonecat on this one we dont need more fake pics to confuse people with genuiin interest in this topic..

Is there a moderator can this thread be pulled? :tu:

Oh come on folks, its only a bit of fun. Besides, I thinkit woul dbe interesting to see how 'real' looking the fakes can be. Maybe even continuie the post with pics that have been proven to be fakes?

I actually like the idea too. Poor Twilight :hmm:

I think it would be really fun! Twilight since you are the starter of this thread then why don't you give us some more details/rules on this competition?

Are we all going to use the same base photo or can we choose our own photo?

Let's get this thing started. :tu:

Edited by Lorelei

I am assuming this started because of the "pics" I posted in another section.....If so , let me explain...

I posted my pics to show how easily people think " ghosts" are in there pics.I grabbed my camera right when I read that post and took 3 pictures without leaving my chair and "BAM" had ghosts....

I did not use photoshop for it.I like/dislike this idea....I for one will post pic's , but I highly , highly suggest only pics straight from camera's..No photo-shop , or "tweaking" of pics.This will show just what can be done with the camera alone....

I for one will post pics of "orbs" , "rods" , "vortexs" , etc....

But with no photoshop or any other program....

Well , while posting this I got bored...2 pics , one of orbs , one of a "ghost face"...No photoshop , no touching up , just point camera and shoot....

post-22063-1158443906.jpg

Edited by rob lester

Okay here we go...My first pic for the competition...

[attachmentid=28371]

I made this using adobe photoshop. It took about 1.5 hours. I got all my source photos from here: MorgueFile. It is a public reference photo archive and almost all photos are free to use (no copyright etc.).

I'd also like you to go gentle on me as this is my FIRST time ever photoshopping anything!

post-39939-1158518709.jpg

Edited by Lorelei

[attachmentid=28362]

I made this using adobe photoshop. It took about 1.5 hours. I got all my source photos from here: MorgueFile. It is a public reference photo archive and almost all photos are free to use (no copyright etc.).

I'd also like you to go gentle on me as this is my FIRST time ever photoshopping anything!

Nice! :tu:

I am assuming this started because of the "pics" I posted in another section.....If so , let me explain...

I posted my pics to show how easily people think " ghosts" are in there pics.I grabbed my camera right when I read that post and took 3 pictures without leaving my chair and "BAM" had ghosts....

I did not use photoshop for it.I like/dislike this idea....I for one will post pic's , but I highly , highly suggest only pics straight from camera's..No photo-shop , or "tweaking" of pics.This will show just what can be done with the camera alone....

I for one will post pics of "orbs" , "rods" , "vortexs" , etc....

But with no photoshop or any other program....

Well , while posting this I got bored...2 pics , one of orbs , one of a "ghost face"...No photoshop , no touching up , just point camera and shoot....

This is the type of confusion a thread like this does NOT need. Why are you posting untouched pictures in this thread?

[attachmentid=28362]

Good work Lorelei, I like it.

Good work Lorelei, I like it.

Me too! Very creepy indeed!!

This is the type of confusion a thread like this does NOT need. Why are you posting untouched pictures in this thread?

So , so sorry.....

I did not know there was a "rule" of having to use "touchedup" pictures.....

Someone must have changed your post and added "any other manipulation tool"...I am using "other manipulation tools"

I could post un-touched pictures that have "ghosts" as some call these things...( mine are not fake , but also definitley not ghosts...smoke from Marlboro , etc..) I was going to make some pretty cool pic's with other things.

Easily faked pic's that one does not need to touch up to look good....

Guess I am out of this one....

And read my first sentence....Where it says "if so.."

I guess it " was not so"....

Confused even more now?

Edited by rob lester

After watching "Hogizlla", I don't put much faith into photographic analysis. They had it completely wrong. >.>

But yeah, interesting thread.

This is an extremely good idea. We just need some fakers now. This will help us find out just how good a faker can do. And also how well an analyzer can do as well.

Edited by Zero of Deism

[attachmentid=28362]

oOoOoOo.. thats spooky.. its inspired me ta see if i can mock something up..

But before i finish it.. would in be a good idea that if anyone posts any more photos in here to write " Fake " on it or water mark it with " Fake "..

Its just that i can see someone taking Lorelei's piccy and passing it on for real..

* ponders.. i wonder how long it will be before someone starts a thread with Lorelei's piccy that they just found on the internet *..

Thanks everyone so much for the lovely compliments. I wasn't expecting them since it was my first go at photoshopping...I really appreciate them though! :blush:

I definitely agree with you Strider. I went back and altered my photo adding in that it was fake. I hope it will be adequate enough.

I'm really looking forward to seeing some more! So, everyone start getting to work. Even if you aren't handy using photoshop just give it a try. It is really fun!

I might go ahead and make another myself if no one minds me entering in multiple times. I want to experiment and see what I can do.

Anyone else up for it? ;)

Yeah, I'm cool with the fake photos as long as it is seriously clear and embedded in the photo masking that it's a fake picture. The last thing we all need to do is sit and create a bunch of really convincing fakes.

There are enough fakes passed as real on the internet as it is.

Nicely done LL, I would reduce the contrast/brightness of the ghost itself. The figure is a little too stark, which reduces the "realism" of the photo. But as I said, very good.

--Wookie

OK, seems like a fun topic - here is my first attempt - took bout 15 mins

LMFAO - Cute :tu:

OK, seems like a fun topic - here is my first attempt - took bout 15 mins

That would explain why it looks like an ostritch.

[attachmentid=28371]

Very cool Lorelei! I'm glad some people saw this as just a bit of fun. I'm a strong beliver in the paranormal and ghosts, and agree that more "Fake" photos aren't needed; but this wan't for any submission to a professional group to claim it as real. In truth, since the first post I got on this topic was negative, I didn't think to check back immediatly. I did and i'm surprised how many like the idea. :tu:

Here's a bit more clarification for rules:

~ As I had originally stated, these pictures must be original. (No posting a previously made photo by someone else as your own material)

~ I will allow only 2 submissions per person. This will limit the amount of pictures on this topic and allow the judge to select evenly.

~ You can use any form of digital manipulation tool in your creation. (Photoshop, Adobe, ect...) I liked the idea of writing "Fake" or embedding it in the photo. It clarifies that it is indeed fake, and could prevent it for being passed as real.

~ If you are using other photos by someone other than yourself, try and find free photos or try and obtain permission to use copyrighted works if you need to use any. You can credit source material, although it's not nessisary.

~ All submissions are copyrighted to their creators. Please do not distribute, display, or use these pictures anywhere else other than this thread, unless approved by their creator(s).

~ Try and have fun with what you make! :rofl: They don't have to be masterpieces of artwork.

~ Since I created the thread, I don't want to be the judge on the submissions. I'm hoping for a good amount of pics before someone may step in as a judge for the contest. I was looking for a modearator as judge, or someone who will be unbiased in their criticism.

When I get a fair amound of pics in, i'll tell the majority to elect a judge I think.

I hope that we can get some good pics on here and see some real creativity in these submissions. Thanks all for not being so judgemental, and seeing this as just a fun game! :tu:

Edited by TwilightSilver

Ok here is my first submission, made in 2 minutes tops. :

[attachmentid=28414]

Ok added text to show it's fake!

It's too obvious it's fake though, maybe because i used a 1800th century photograph of a boy. It makes the ghost a bit too white.

I'm working on a better second pic.

post-30389-1158749223.gif

Edited by Ykaedhi Aewee