Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Tuberculosis Helped Bring Down Mastodons

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    Roj47

Roj47

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

• If I believed the world was going to end in the next 10 years..... I would sell up and travel to see as much of it as I could.

Posted 29 September 2006 - 01:18 PM

tuberculosis pandemic among an ancient mammoth-like creature probably contributed to the great beasts' demise, a new study suggests.

Scientists examining mastodon skeletons found a type of bone damage in several of the animal's foot bones that is unique to sufferers of tuberculosis. The disease would have weakened and crippled the animals, making them more vulnerable to humans and climate change, two factors that scientists have long speculated were behind their extinction in North America.

Mastodons were ancient elephants that resembled mammoths, but were shorter and less hairy. Both species lived in North America and disappeared mysteriously, along with other large mammals, around the time of the last major Ice Age about 10,000 years ago.

http://www.livescience.com/animalworld/060...astodon_tb.html

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2    zillarancher

zillarancher

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 03:30 PM

tuberculosis pandemic among an ancient mammoth-like creature probably contributed to the great beasts' demise, a new study suggests.

Scientists examining mastodon skeletons found a type of bone damage in several of the animal's foot bones that is unique to sufferers of tuberculosis. The disease would have weakened and crippled the animals, making them more vulnerable to humans and climate change, two factors that scientists have long speculated were behind their extinction in North America.

Mastodons were ancient elephants that resembled mammoths, but were shorter and less hairy. Both species lived in North America and disappeared mysteriously, along with other large mammals, around the time of the last major Ice Age about 10,000 years ago.

http://www.livescience.com/animalworld/060...astodon_tb.html

Hmmm quite interesting! Good find!

#3    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,085 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 07:45 PM

Interesting find. thumbsup.gif

making them more vulnerable to humans and climate change, two factors that scientists have long speculated were behind their extinction in North America.

I think that nails it. It was a combination of different factors that led to their extinction.

Edited by Raptor X7, 29 September 2006 - 07:47 PM.

#4    the Shadamaun

the Shadamaun

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Location:A little hubward, and half a mile widdershins of Uberwald

• "My soul brings in a thousand several tongue, and every tongue a several tale, and each tale condemns me for a villain." --Richard III, Act V.iii

Posted 29 September 2006 - 07:54 PM

Figures. If we can eat it, wear it, chase it, or sneeze on it, we're gonna kill it.

Carpe Jugulum

Words dont control us... Not anymore

There are 2 kinds of people in the world: the kind that try to divide the world into 2 kinds of people, and the kind that dont.

If you cant hear me, its because I was speaking in parenthesis

#5    RollingThunder06

RollingThunder06

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

• Most people can hear; however, how many really listen?

Posted 30 September 2006 - 05:02 AM

That is amazing. It is also neat that professionals can detect these things and give firm answers.

Posted Image

#6    Gatofeo

Gatofeo

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

• "An ugly cat. Vast desert. Smoke and fire. Flying lead makes holes in parchment. The ugly cat is much amused." --- Gatodamus (1503-1566)

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:44 AM

Figures. If we can eat it, wear it, chase it, or sneeze on it, we're gonna kill it.

Well, if it's the ice age and you need to eat, you'll eat whatever you can. And food is scarce, remember.
Applying 21st century hindsight to the survival practices of early man is ludicrous. Early man struggled to survive from day one, and lived a short life of hardship, uncertainty, pain, discomfort and hard labor.
He filled his belly --- and those around hiim --- by any means possible. The idea of extinction probably never occurred to him, he only noticed that there were fewer and fewer of a particular species.
A few years ago, in Archaeology magazine, there was an interesting article. Researchers at a cliff dwelling in the southwest United States noticed a startling lack of edible vegetation for 30 miles in all directions from the dwelling.
Their conclusion: The dwellers had stripped the land. Thirty miles constituted the range that the dwellers could travel on foot and carry food back.
These were the much-vaunted Native Americans that stripped the land; people said to be in such harmony with their environment and nature.
People do what they must to survive.

My god! How that ghost makes me dread
My attempts to sleep at night, in my bed
All that moaning and groaning
Keep me awake until morning
Oh wait --- it's that couple next door, newly wed!

--- Copyright 2006 by Gatofeo

I support Rehabilitation through Reincarnation!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users