Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Superstitions

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#61    man_in_mudboots

man_in_mudboots

title?

• 2,425 posts

• whither goest thou, young rogue?

Posted 18 February 2004 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE (man_in_mudboots @ Feb 6 2004, 09:23 PM)
QUOTE (Aslan @ Feb 6 2004, 09:17 PM)
...it comes from bloody mary, an evil queen of england, called "bloody" because of her fondness of torturing peasants.
  I can't let that pass. There was nothing particularly 'evil' about Mary Tudor given the context and circumstances of the times. And she certainly didn't have any particular fondness for 'torturing peasants'.

neither was she  chased by a deamon, aslan. by no means is this a historical account. it is, after all, a suprestition. duh.  

#62    Aslan

Aslan

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

• Scariest Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 18 February 2004 - 03:02 PM

Well done, Manboots.

It took you a mere 12 days to cook up with that witty throwback. I am indeed humbled.

dontgetit.gif  

#63    Celumnaz

Celumnaz

Telekinetic

• 7,039 posts

• I don't know what I don't know.

Posted 18 February 2004 - 03:23 PM

Does it go:

Tall Tale
turns into
Urban Legend
turns into
Superstition
?

#64    man_in_mudboots

man_in_mudboots

title?

• 2,425 posts

• whither goest thou, young rogue?

Posted 19 February 2004 - 12:07 AM

QUOTE (Aslan @ Feb 18 2004, 02:02 PM)
Well done, Mudboots.  It took you a mere 12 days to cook up with that witty throwback. I am indeed humbled.

yeah, like i always say, your burned me now, but come back a week from now, and ill have a stinging retort. youll be burnt then, i promise!  

#65    tigger

tigger

Poltergeist

• 2,367 posts

• keeper of a greater magic... THE SCHWARTZ!

Posted 25 February 2004 - 08:32 AM

my bf tells me off cos i am too superstitious

black cat crossing path= good luck
doubles back the way it came= bad luck

knock on wood twice to get the demons attention, three times calls it.

hold breath past a cemetary, plus touch the roof of the car/vehicle you are in

don't cross under a path of a ladder

dont buy knives for a gift for a person (cutting the ties of friendship)

throwing a pinch of salt over shoulder if some has been spilt

dont open and close scissors unless actually cutting with them

weddings the person who buys the first thing for the house will handle all monies

the new bride must enter her home by the main door, and must not trip or fall - hence the custom of carrying the bride over the threshold.

never take a broom along when you move. throw it out and buy a new one.

if your hand foot is itchy someome who loves you is thinking about you, if your right hand is itchy, money is coming your way

if a cat is looking out a window, it means rain is coming (also if it washes behind its ears)

badluck to have a peacock feather in your house

it's bad luck to open an umbrella inside the house, especially if you put it over your head.

a bride's veil protects her from evil spirits who are jealous of happy people., but it is also the reason why their are bridesmaids, so the evil spirits are confused as to who is the bride

All windows should be opened at the moment of death so that the soul can leave, but especially in the room the death occured

i don't particularly believe in the seven years bad luck, with the breaking of a mirror tho, seven is universally pretty much a lucky number

'What do you do if you step on a mine, Captain?'
'Well, the usual procedure is to leap 200 feet in the air and spread yourself over a wide area…'

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!

#66    TheNeutralBuddhist

TheNeutralBuddhist

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 02:23 AM

A SuperStition- God- a : a belief or practice resulting from ignorance, fear of the unknown, trust in magic or chance, or a false conception of causation. 2 : a notion maintained despite evidence to the contrary

#67    Xenojjin

Xenojjin

Absurdity

• 2,753 posts

• Life is not meaningful, therefore it is.

Posted 10 March 2004 - 04:38 AM

do you really want to turn this into a religious debate ? huh.gif  God is something that is simply unproven , and their are quite a few university graduates who believe in him . I found your post somewhat arrogant .  

In the way, the supernatural is what's behind the curtain. Normally, you only need to see what's happening in stage. That's how reality works. If you don't know then it's for the best. Actually, learning about the supernatural only increases the number of things you don't know.

Posted Image

#68    TheNeutralBuddhist

TheNeutralBuddhist

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 11:39 PM

do you really want to turn this into a religious debate ?

A debate, there is nothing to debate about; besides they prove fruitless anyway.  Sounds like you want a debate but then, you just told me its something that cant be proven, so whats to debate about? Your going to try to prove he exist when you just told me there is no evidence for it, and it cant be proven? You just agreed that there is no room for a debate. If there was a debate it would be fruitless,useless, and unbenefitiant.

God is something that is simply unproven

Now your inferring that he or it does exist, but is just unproven.
But, it seems to fit the definition to me...A superstition, 2 : a notion maintained despite evidence to the contrary.

and their are quite a few university graduates who believe in him

It seems as if your speaking in terms that if the majority believe it, it must be true.

I found your post somewhat arrogant .

(Yea, I figured that laughing face would stimulate someone)
Basically, Im just making a post. It asked whats your favorite superstitions, and I answered.

Edited by TheNeutralBuddhist, 11 March 2004 - 01:51 AM.

#69    HumberWitch

HumberWitch

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 03:06 PM

Where I was brought up, (British East Midlands), we said;

One for Sorrow,
Two's for Mirth,
Three's a Wedding,
Fourth's a Birth,
Five is Silver,
Six is Gold,
Seven's a Secret,
Never to be told,
Eight's a Wish,
Nine a Kiss,
& Ten the Bird you must not Miss,
For ten's the bird to grant the Wish.

The boy/girl version was so changed to fit the title pictures of the 70's kids' programme of the same name.

Live simply that others may simply live.
Fighting for peace is like copulating for virginity!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users