Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

“Gigantic black” UFO sighted over Minnesota

UM-Bot

Image credit: stockxpert
Image credit: stockxpert
Ken Korczak: A few years ago I thought I would try an interesting experiment. I took out a classified ad in several small-town newspapers across northern Minnesota. Here is what the ad said: “Have you seen a UFO, ghost, or anything you can’t explain? Please call me: xxx-xxxx. Confidentiality guaranteed.”I was expecting nothing, but my phone started ringing almost as soon as the ads hit the streets. The very first call was from an elderly gentleman whom I had known for years, and whom I would describe as an extremely Bible-oriented Christian conservative type -- a lifelong farmer, and a real no-nonsense, salt-of-the-earth kind of guy. His name is Bernard Hanson and before retirement he lived just out side the tiny town of Greenbush, Minnesota. Bernard had a strange tale to tell, and here is the article I wrote based on his experience:

It was peaceful, clear June evening in 1987. Bernard Hanson and his son Dexter were heading north from Minnesota Highway 11 on a dirt road three miles west of Greenbush when they saw a fantastic thing floating above a grove of trees. It was massive! It had the look of plastic, deep black in color. It was easily bigger than a barn and hovered serenely, about 30 feet above the tree tops over the farm of Bob Melby. Hanson and his son were surprised—and “a little scared.”“We just didn’t know what it was,” Bernard said. “It was cigar-haped and pure black, coal black. There were no markings on it. It was smooth all over. I would say it had the look of plastic. It was about 3/4 a mile from us. It was at least as big as my barn, if not bigger.”Bernard said he and Dexter sat in the pick-up and watched it for a long while. It was not a fleeting image or a streak across the sky. The object had the definite look of something solid—real enough to touch. “It was a clear June evening,” Bernard said. “There was not a cloud in the sky. The sun had just gone down, but you know the way it stays light in the summer. There was still plenty of daylight and we could see it clearly.”Even though they were somewhat frightened, Bernard and Dexter decided to get a bit closer. “We turned toward it on County Road 104, but when we moved, it moved,” Hanson said. “We followed it for a while, and then we turned north, and it turned north.” After following it for a couple of miles, Bernard said the object suddenly zoomed away. “It tilted upward and streaked away from us — it turned into a tiny black dot in just seconds and was gone. It flew upward at a 45-degree angle ...the rate of speed was tremendous... it was almost as if it just vaporized.”After the object left, the Hansons decided to stop in at the farm of Wayne Juhl’s and ask him if he saw the curious object, but Juhl said he saw nothing. Bernard knows he wasn’t “seeing things” because he and his son could not both have had the same hallucination. Also, he is certain it was not a conventional aircraft.

“A large balloon could never move that fast and go up at that angle,” he said. Then what was it? Bernard has no guess, and he is not ready to say that he saw a spaceship or a UFO. But he knows that what he and his son saw was something entirely unexplained. “I think we all have to admit that there are things in the world we don’t know about—there are a lot of mysteries. All I’m saying is that this was something I have never seen before, and I don’t know what it was.”He is not alone. The object Hanson described has a long history of being sighted not only in America and around the world, but especially here in the American Midwest. Cigar or zeppelin shaped “airships” were reported frequently in Minnesota and Iowa in the late 1800s, and some of the most curious and famous UFO cases involve crafts of similar description. In fact, Hanson’s description of both the shape and the way this object acted closely fit other such sightings. For example, in his book, Dimensions, computer scientist and former NASA consultant Jacques Vallee, writes: “Usually the airships flew very slowly and majestically...except in a few close-proximity cases when it was reported to depart “as a shot out of a gun.”That matches Hanson’s experience to the letter. Furthermore, huge cigar-shaped flying objects have been observed by thousands of people throughout history.

In the year 1211 A.D., for example, in the tiny Irish village of Cloera, the local residents were attending Mass in a church dedicated to St. Kinarus when such an object was sighted above the church. In the 1890s, airships sightings were common. Thousands of people saw them throughout the United States, even over large population centers, including Chicago, Minneapolis, Omaha, Sioux City, San Francisco, and many others. From the tiny 11th Century borough of Cloera, to modern-day Greenbuh, Minnesota, the mysterious giant airships are still making their appearances, perhaps looking down at human beings and wondering about our activities as much as we do their’s.

You can find more original Minnesota UFO sightings on my blog:http://www.ironghost.wordpress.com

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Teslasparkgap

• jagerthorn

• IronGhost

• JasonX1299

wow how intresting. I cant remember where i read it but in the 1800s before zepllins or whatever you call them where invented. People in a village in France saw air ships pass over head about fifty of them. They were all silent and all moved in the same direction (against the wind) when they were asked to draw or discribe what they saw, many drew what looked like our Air balloons today. They were all cigar shaped and black or grey in colour. It took around an hour for all of them to pass over head

Mass sightings are the best. I don't recall having read anything about the 1800's and cigar shape crafts. Maybe with that shape being common then it proves that whatever it is that are making and manning these unidentified ships had to learn and slowly process into the ship we see today.

To anyone who is curious about such things, it is an interesting story. At least, the fact that here was what is for the most part, a typical ufo that seems to display technological characteristics. It has apparent solidity, intelligent control, no lifting surfaces, silently hovering.

And yet, it appered black. There are similar reports that involve ionization.

Do these objects select the levels of ionization they can produce or suppress?

I ask this because I witnessed a similar object, only it was was glowing red. No other color was discernable.

In our case, two witnessses in farm country. And, at night (or in their case, evening). The one we saw seemed oblong, in any event. I drove away after seeing it circle the truck.

Here is what we had here in the 1800s.

----------------------------------------------------------

The Great UFO Scare of 1896

By Phil Reader

No, the date in the title is not a misprint. At the time of the incident in queston, Wilbur and Orville Wright were still repairing bicycles in their little shop near Dayton, Ohio. Charles Lindbergh's parents were still dating and John Glenn's grandparents were farming in the Midwest. It was back in a day when men were rarely little and never green.

The story began slowly, hovering almost unnoticed in the back pages of the local papers. Sailors in the dives of San Francisco's infamous Barbary Coast began to talk about glowing spheres and saucer-like machines that they had seen rising out of the waters of the Sea of Japan or the China Sea, hovering and thence flying off. Saloon keepers and patrons of these dives were not at all surprised, "considering the quantity and quality of whiskey being passed across the bars," according to the San Francisco Call.

Though the Wright brothers' historic flight at Kitty Hawk was still seven years in the future, by 1896 public imagination was already receptive to the prospect of flight by powered aircraft. Jules Verne had written of ships of the air, just as he had submarines and sending men to the moon. German engineer Otto Lilienthal, whose work inspired the two brothers from Dayton, had already successfully flown in a hang glider. And Samuel P. Langley, third Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution, had recently managed to get his Aerodrome No. 5, an unpiloted, engine-driven, heavier-than-air craft, airborne. source

Did you see light at the ends on top as well?

There was a super zeppelin project in Germany, even mentioned

in news reels of the time.

Here is what we had here in the 1800s.

----------------------------------------------------------

The Great UFO Scare of 1896

By Phil Reader

No, the date in the title is not a misprint. At the time of the incident in queston, Wilbur and Orville Wright were still repairing bicycles in their little shop near Dayton, Ohio. Charles Lindbergh's parents were still dating and John Glenn's grandparents were farming in the Midwest. It was back in a day when men were rarely little and never green.

The story began slowly, hovering almost unnoticed in the back pages of the local papers. Sailors in the dives of San Francisco's infamous Barbary Coast began to talk about glowing spheres and saucer-like machines that they had seen rising out of the waters of the Sea of Japan or the China Sea, hovering and thence flying off. Saloon keepers and patrons of these dives were not at all surprised, "considering the quantity and quality of whiskey being passed across the bars," according to the San Francisco Call.

Though the Wright brothers' historic flight at Kitty Hawk was still seven years in the future, by 1896 public imagination was already receptive to the prospect of flight by powered aircraft. Jules Verne had written of ships of the air, just as he had submarines and sending men to the moon. German engineer Otto Lilienthal, whose work inspired the two brothers from Dayton, had already successfully flown in a hang glider. And Samuel P. Langley, third Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution, had recently managed to get his Aerodrome No. 5, an unpiloted, engine-driven, heavier-than-air craft, airborne. source

Pre 1900 ufos might have been possible.

It is old technology just new people in it.

If going by Tesla which would be before 1900, he might have known how easy it was.

Some thing flat might have been levitated by sparks or lightning since the begining

of time.

What I think is being used now started in WWII Germany and from at least 1900 due

to seeing what Tesla was discovering.

what great about this story is the guy, a reasonable source who is described as reliable and believeable as can be and not just one but at least two witnesses

• 2 weeks later...

That's really interesting and descriptive. I enjoy reading sightings as truthful as this one may seem. It's very unique in it's own way...I've lived in Minnesota my whole life, and suprisingly there isn't a whole lot of UFO sightings; so to read about one like this is quite fascinating.

• 1 year later...
“Have you seen a UFO, ghost, or anything you can’t explain? Please call me: ***-***x. Confidentiality guaranteed.”

So much for confidentiality :tu:

So much for confidentiality :tu:

My friend, think before you post.

I always promise confidentiality to my sources -- unless they tell me it's okay to use their name. In this case, Mr. Hanson was more than happy to go on record.

Does that clear it up for you?