Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Deism vs Christianity

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1    101

PA's Girl

• 4,992 posts

• One half of the perenially, perpetually, purpotratedly, proudly, perfectly, placidly, pleasantly, purposely, presently promised couple to be on UM.

Posted 04 October 2006 - 02:57 PM

Deism is a religious philosophy and movement that became prominent in England, France, and the United States in the 17th century. Deists typically reject supernatural events (prophecy, miracles) and divine revelation, along with holy books and revealed religions that assert the existence of such things. Instead, deists hold that correct religious beliefs must be founded on human reason and observed features of the natural world, and that these sources lead to belief in the existence of one God or supreme being.

Christianity is a monotheistic[1] religion centered on Jesus of Nazareth, and on his life and teachings as presented in the New Testament.[2] Christians believe Jesus to be the Messiah and God incarnate and thus refer to him as Jesus Christ. With an estimated 2.1 billion adherents in 2001, Christianity is the world's largest religion.[3] It is the predominant religion in the Americas, Europe, Oceania, and large parts of Africa. It is also growing rapidly in Asia, particularly in China and South Korea, and Northern Africa.[4]

Well we do have one thing in common with deists. We both believe in one God.

But what I don't understand how come a person couldn't believe in prophecy? This is what I don't understand. I mean a lot of the prophecys are fulfilled right

some by Jesus

So for instance the prophecy of Jesus dying becoming the human sacrifice so we would be saved.

1. God's salvation would reach the ends of the earth
Bible passage: Isaiah 49:6
Written: perhaps between 701-681 BC
Fulfilled: About 32 AD
   In Isaiah 49:6, the prophet speaks of a servant of God who would be a light to Gentiles (non-Jews) so that God's salvation could reach the ends of the earth. Christians believe that Jesus is the fulfillment of this promise. The followers of Jesus helped spread Christianity about 2000 years ago. Christianity is unique in that it is among the first evangelical religions in history, and the first to be taken to people all over the world. Christians believe that salvation, forgiveness of sins and eternal life in heaven are available to anyone who accepts Jesus Christ as their savior: "That if you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved." - Romans 10:9-10 (NIV translation).

Posted Image

Just remember, you can do anything (that is physically possible) that you set your mind to.  All you have to do is believe in yourself.- Mako

#2    Bella-Angelique

Bella-Angelique

Caprica Six Cylon

• 7,174 posts

• There is more to learn

Posted 04 October 2006 - 03:02 PM

Christians believe Jesus to be the Messiah and God incarnate

Only Catholic and protesting Catholic denominations (Protestants) believe Jesus is God incarnate.
Other Christians do not.

Posted Image

#3    ShaunZero

ShaunZero

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,339 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 03:06 PM

In my opinion the word "Deist" or "Deism" can be used as a more broad term. I personally believe the universe had a creator. Maybe even more than one. I simply believe in Intelligent Design(Don't take this out of context). I believe the creator(s) created the universe, and let the natural laws take over and take it's course. The Creator does not interfere in my opinion. At least I have no reason to say he(/she/it) does.

In my opinion it is VERY different from Christianity. With Christianity, you believe many things even when the logic does not make sense and it seems obvious that the stories are not true. You must take it all on 100% faith. Deism may appear this way at first, but it's not the same at all. You CAN come to the conclusion of a great designer using some logic and reason. For if you could not, there would be no Deism at all. That is the basis of Deism; Reason and logic should be the reason for belief in a God. That is Deism in a nutshell. No religious books, no rules/laws, nothing.. It's the same as Atheism except one difference.

Like the great Mako(lol) said: A creator is just as mathematically possible as a self creating universe.  

It is very similar to Atheism. Atheists believe the universe has no creator, and Deists do. That's basically the only difference. That is where Deism differs from Atheism, and agrees with Christianity.

Mako, if I got anything wrong, help me out here. This is how I view Deism. =P  rofl.gif

In my opinion NO prophecies have been fulfilled. In every era, there have been people claiming that these prophecies are coming true. If they are, what happened? I missed the end of the world? What the hell? Are we in hell right now?

Edited by Zero of Deism, 05 October 2006 - 05:36 AM.

"What if there were no hypothetical questions?" ~ George Carlin
Are you a cynic?

#4    Sthenno

Sthenno

Poltergeist

• 2,167 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 03:08 PM

Deists donít believe in holy books that try to convince them of prophecy, so something the bible says isnít going to be evidence to them.

#5    101

PA's Girl

• 4,992 posts

• One half of the perenially, perpetually, purpotratedly, proudly, perfectly, placidly, pleasantly, purposely, presently promised couple to be on UM.

Posted 04 October 2006 - 03:13 PM

Hmmm awesome. But with logic how does one say oh Jesus wasn't real- oh duh I forgot Mako says that the NEw Test is all wrong with historical data. But is it easier to say that Isaiah was right with there historic data about the savior coming- or no.  hmm.gif

Posted Image

Just remember, you can do anything (that is physically possible) that you set your mind to.  All you have to do is believe in yourself.- Mako

#6    GIDEON MAGE

GIDEON MAGE

MASTER PSYCHIC

• 3,813 posts

• I ONLY BELIEVE WHAT I PERCEIVE WITH MY OWN PSYCHIC POWERS, OR MAKES LOGICAL SENSE. SHOW ME SOMETHING THAT WORKS AND I'LL AGREE.

Posted 04 October 2006 - 03:36 PM

Hmmm awesome. But with logic how does one say oh Jesus wasn't real- oh duh I forgot Mako says that the NEw Test is all wrong with historical data. But is it easier to say that Isaiah was right with there historic data about the savior coming- or no.  hmm.gif

Actually, Isaiah clearly identifies the Suffering Servant, over and over again,  as the Jewish People themselves.  Read the whole chapter.  He says things like, "Jacob, my servant, Israel whom I have called."  Isaiah was vey explicit.

GIDEON MAGE

Is a shameless act of self-promotion vain, or merely a good, practiical idea? Click here to find out!
http://www.examiner....ew-Age-Examiner

#7    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 24,002 posts

• "...it isn't the accuracy that holds us, but the meaning" (eight bits).

Posted 04 October 2006 - 05:32 PM

This is a definition of Diesm i am fond of ...Deism is natural response, an intuitive knowing , a deep awareness that is at the cellular level... thumbsup.gif

#8    Mr. President

Mr. President

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 05:34 PM

Only Catholic and protesting Catholic denominations (Protestants) believe Jesus is God incarnate.
Other Christians do not.

If they don't believe it then do not call them Christians because then they are not.

#9    ShaunZero

ShaunZero

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,339 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 05:36 PM

According to the bible, Jesus is NOT God. A trinitarian God is a pagan doctrine.

Edited by Zero of Deism, 04 October 2006 - 05:37 PM.

"What if there were no hypothetical questions?" ~ George Carlin
Are you a cynic?

#10    mako

mako

Poltergeist

• 2,770 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 05:38 PM

Well, Zero of Deism, Gideon Mage and Sympa Sheri beat me to it...Yes, Zero has pretty well covered it all...there are those Deists that look at the Creator as very similar to Jehovah and then there are those who don't...I sit in the middle...Gid is right about Isiah not being a prophecy (just read chapters 47, 48 amd 49 and it becomes quite clear that the servant can't be anyone other that the Israelite peoples themselve).  Then since most Christians hold Jesus to be God, then how can Jesus (God) be the servant of Jehovah (God)?  Not logically... yes.gif

Our earth is degenerate in these latter days.  There are signs that the world is speedily coming to an end.  Bribery and corruption are common,   Children no longer obey their parents.  Every man wants to write a book, and the end of the world evidently is approaching.
                    Assyrian tablet circa 2800 BCE

#11    zandore

zandore

EX-Christian

• 9,640 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:08 PM

Other Christians do not.

PSST Bella......Christian means "like Christ" as in Jesus Christ thumbsup.gif

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy,
education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary.
Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear
of punishment and hope of reward after death."

Albert Einstein

Survey Says....

#12    Mr. President

Mr. President

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:26 PM

According to the bible, Jesus is NOT God. A trinitarian God is a pagan doctrine.

In reffering to the Christ please do not tell us what the Satanic Bible may say. As for the real Bible it clearly states that Christ is God. "I am in the Father and He is in Me."<<Jesus said those words.

#13    zandore

zandore

EX-Christian

• 9,640 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:30 PM

In reffering to the Christ please do not tell us what the Satanic Bible may say. As for the real Bible it clearly states that Christ is God. "I am in the Father and He is in Me."<<Jesus said those words.

The word trinity/triune is not mentioned in the Bible.....

Albert Einstein

Survey Says....

#14    Mr. President

Mr. President

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:34 PM

The word trinity/triune is not mentioned in the Bible.....

It doesn't have to be there are many verses in the bible that there in fact three parts of God (for lack of a better word) and that though there are three parts he is one God, it is not a Pagan doctrine.

#15    zandore

zandore

EX-Christian

• 9,640 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:41 PM

It doesn't have to be there are many verses in the bible that there in fact three parts of God (for lack of a better word) and that though there are three parts he is one God, it is not a Pagan doctrine.

So it is just an assumption then......maybe god did not find out about the trinity till the 4th century.

BTW: Where did I say it was a "Pagan doctrine"?  no.gif

Albert Einstein

Survey Says....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users