Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Lifting people with 2 fingers

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#61    Blueguardian

Blueguardian

Poltergeist

• 2,248 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 07:34 AM

iv never heard of this before today but iv thought about it before, eg like when im carrying the shopping using one hand, if i use two its a lot easier, but if i carry it at the bottom its easier again. i guess thats a very basic example.

Posted Image

(((Just My $00.2 cents)))

#62    shpiritz

shpiritz

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 03:13 AM

hello, I did this as well when I was a teenager.. I do want to however debunk the statement that this phenomenon was due to the equal strength of 6 people all simultaneously lifting a person up with 2 fingers because my group of friends at the time would all do a before and after.  And what I mean by a before and after is that inititally there was 1 person laying face up.. just like is mentioned here... but the 6 of us did not stand, we all knelt down 3 on each side of the guy/girl laying face up... We would right away do a before try by counting to 3 and all trying to lift the person.. It was impossible!  If I were to walk away right there and then I would have outright bet my house that it's just something that can't be done, ever!  However, I didn't walk away, thanfully, no I stayed around and then there was one friend who was familiar with this whole phenomenon and she would have all the lights put out, with the exception of a candle and then she said this prayer and while I can't remember it word for word, I'm pretty sure it had something to do with "if there are spirits in this room, please show your presense by helping up lift "jim" on the count of 3.... 1, 2, 3, and we all tried to lift "jim"... Wow!!  It was like magic, I swear we all had lifted up this heavy dead weight as high as our shoulders with little to no effort.. Once we did it and lowered the person we all just got up and ran the heck of out of the room spooked beyond words..

It was very cool.

#63    Sporkling

Sporkling

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:38 AM

Its done by hypnosis right?

#64    eight bits

eight bits

• 6,392 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 09:12 AM

Its done by hypnosis right?

No.

The human skeleton has only a few "degrees of freedom" in its movement, but it can bend and flex in more places than another single human being, who has enough strength to lift the weight, can support (and so immobilize) simultaneously.

The "fire fighter" solution, then, is the way to go for one-on-one. Allow the lifted body to "fold" at the waist, and hoist that with the lifter's shoulder in contact with the body, leaving the lifter's legs to supply much of the lift.

Six people, in contrast, distributed around the liftee, can easily support all of the large degrees of freedom. The total load is divided by six, of course, and the human hand is designed so that the fingers and wrists provide stiff co-ordinated resistance to forces against the joints' natural range of motion.

The feat is actually the flashy flipside of an obvious truth. A one-on-one wrestling match is a contest. A six-on-one match is no contest at all, and the result will be that the one is literally unable to move on the floor, having no degrees of freedom for movement left uncovered. Now think lift instead of hold, and cooperation instead of competition.

Up we go.

Posted Image

#65    Blacksabbath

Blacksabbath

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:18 PM

Seen it myself, but no chanting or turning is needed

#66    DfizzleShizzle

DfizzleShizzle

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:04 AM

I might try it, when theres like a big group of people around...

"A believer is a songless bird in a cage, a freethinker is an eagle parting the clouds with tireless wings." -Robert G. Ingersoll

"Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence." -Richard Dawkins

#67    gururoy

gururoy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:40 PM

sourpatchkid on Oct 7 2006, 08:53 PM, said:

My father-in-law taught us this trick, he says it was really popular in the 70's although i have never come across anyone else who has heard of it. Here is how he taught it to us:
five particpants
one sits in a chair (this is the subject)
four people who will perform the act stand in a circle
they place their hands on top of each other, in a circular fashion. (i.e. the first person places their right (or left) hand out, then the second person places their right hand on top if it, then the third persons right hand, then the fourth persons right hand, the the first person places their second hand on top- etc until all eight hand are on top of eachother.)
You hold your hands on top of eachother until they get warm (about 20 seconds) you can say "light as a feather, stiff as a board" for your own amusement if you wish.
The placing your hands together palm down, with your two pointer fingers extended, the four participants place their hands underneath the subjects stinky armpits and knee pits. you then proceed to effortlessly lift the person from the chair.
its fun.
and we also discussed the possible applications of such a (phenomena?) not really sure what to say about it. i would have thought it was a bunch of hooey, but it seems kinda real.

I did this trick numerous times when I was a kid exactly the way it was described, we manged to carry people about 10 feet before they got heavy or we lost our co-ordination. But it does work!

#68    Deminel

Deminel

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:20 AM

sourpatchkid on Oct 7 2006, 10:53 PM, said:

My father-in-law taught us this trick, he says it was really popular in the 70's although i have never come across anyone else who has heard of it. Here is how he taught it to us:
five particpants
one sits in a chair (this is the subject)
four people who will perform the act stand in a circle
they place their hands on top of each other, in a circular fashion. (i.e. the first person places their right (or left) hand out, then the second person places their right hand on top if it, then the third persons right hand, then the fourth persons right hand, the the first person places their second hand on top- etc until all eight hand are on top of eachother.)
You hold your hands on top of eachother until they get warm (about 20 seconds) you can say "light as a feather, stiff as a board" for your own amusement if you wish.
The placing your hands together palm down, with your two pointer fingers extended, the four participants place their hands underneath the subjects stinky armpits and knee pits. you then proceed to effortlessly lift the person from the chair.
its fun.
and we also discussed the possible applications of such a (phenomena?) not really sure what to say about it. i would have thought it was a bunch of hooey, but it seems kinda real.

i've tried that with some of my friends before we even picked up some really fat people like over 200 pounds lol , but we don't wait for 20 seconds when we pull our hands away from eachother, we make sure that our hands don't touch and if they don't touch it works , if they do touch it wont work original.gif

#69    steven 17

steven 17

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:14 PM

Zom on Oct 6 2006, 06:29 AM, said:

Ok, this was told to me by a friend who claims to have done it, never heard of it before so I thought I would toss this out there. She did this when she was a teenager and has since forgotten the exact procedure for pulling this off so, the basics of it are as follows...

1 person will lay on the floor face up.
6 other people will stand around this person
each standing person will turn around a number of time and chant a certain phrase
then each person will bend down, and using only the index/middle fingers from each hand,
will lift this person as though they were almost weightless.

has anyone heard of such a thing?  mellow.gif

done this back in school you get a person to sit on ground with there legs bent towards there body and there head bent down and  you rub there head and back and then 2 people stand on each side and each person puts one finger under that pesons armpit and one under his leg under the knee and the other person dose the same then yous both lift that person up with 2 fingers each

knowledge is power if ya lern it right and use it wisely

#70    mr freester

mr freester

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:40 PM

I didn't read through all responses, but I read through a lot and haven't seen this thought yet. To me this seems to work on the same principle as the party trick where someone tries to lift their arms while another holds them down for 30 seconds. Then after the 30 seconds the subjects arms seem to float into the air effortlessly, just because their body got used to trying to push them up for 30 seconds.

So putting your hands over the subjects head for a period of time, or holding them over your head for a period of time would naturally make it feel like the person is lighter afterward than attempting to lift them without that, just because you're used to holding your arms up and that's where they want to go.

I heard the trick as follows:

1. Subject sits in chair
2. 4 people try to lift that person by placing 2 fingers in knee and arm pits.
3. The 4 people then put their hands face down alternating above the head of the subject one at a time, without touching their head or eachothers hands. (For the party trick it's suggested that this causes some kind of effect on Ions so that the subject is 'charging up' by releasing more ions, or less, or whatever makes more sense to you.)
4. The 4 people remove their hands in the same order they put them up and go to lift the person before the 'charge' wears off.
5. The subject appears to be much lighter than the first attempt

#71    SublimeGirl14

SublimeGirl14

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

• Go Hard or go home!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

Well my friend has told me about this too and we did it and it worked. What we did is have four people stand around a person who is sitting down. Then we put our hands on there head from 1-4 person then you put your other hand on there head. Then you press down a little and you all lift your hands off the persons head. Then the 4 people using there index fingers from each had will put them under the armpits/ back of the knees. And you can lift them up I've done it with the biggest of people at my school and it works. Its actually pretty cool you should try it.

Edited by SublimeGirl14, 03 February 2013 - 04:32 PM.

#72    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,383 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:51 AM

View PostSublimeGirl14, on 03 February 2013 - 04:32 PM, said:

Well my friend has told me about this too and we did it and it worked. What we did is have four people stand around a person who is sitting down. Then we put our hands on there head from 1-4 person then you put your other hand on there head. Then you press down a little and you all lift your hands off the persons head. Then the 4 people using there index fingers from each had will put them under the armpits/ back of the knees. And you can lift them up I've done it with the biggest of people at my school and it works. Its actually pretty cool you should try it.

That's how we did it in the way back machine. We all just thought it was cool & amazing, never tried to make it into hocus pocus. I guess we lacked imagination.

#73    verclear

verclear

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:13 AM

I did this in college awhile back with 4 people with a 200lb guy on a large wooden chair. If we didn't put our hands above each others' first, there was NO WAY we could lift him, because we tried it ourselves to see. We actually were all creeped out by that fact, because we attempted it several times, alternating placing our hands above his head and then not, and trying to lift him. We had no problem with the 4 of us lifting him up with one index finger EACH when we stacked our hands above his head,alternating them, and chanting, "light as a feather, stiff as a board". When we didn't, we couldn't get the chair to budge. Definitely something was going on, and we never could figure it out.

#74    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 3,337 posts

• WARNING!REALITY ADVISORY!
    Posts by this user may contain
    statements that may offend
    publishers of pics/clips of
    supposed UFO/alien sightings.

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:01 AM

:sleepy:

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#75    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,116 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:17 AM

View PostSublimeGirl14, on 03 February 2013 - 04:32 PM, said:

I recall doing it this way with friends back in the day.  Can't remember the details, but it was like this in because the person lifted was sitting on a chair and lifted via under the armpits and knees, not lying doing like the OP.

It was during a session that also involved table turning. A friend had seen a TV show demonstrating these weird things and decided to have a paranormal night recreating all sorts of weird stuff.

Seemed weird and freaky at the time but my subsequent reading into table turning convinced me that was nothing paranormal and I'd like to recreate the person lifting thing to see what's really going on.

I recall it was quite impressive to us as a group at the time.  I'd forgotten it until it popped back into my mind upon reading this thread.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users