Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Grinning Man

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#16    cubsfan7

cubsfan7

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 184 posts

• =w= believe the weez =w=

Posted 11 October 2006 - 03:03 AM

no prob and as legendcop said theres really nice ppl here

Posted Image

#17    Tooth_and_Claw

Tooth_and_Claw

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

• I Got Asked To Change My Pofile Quote, As I Don't Have Another Quote. I'll Leave It Like This.

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:46 AM

welcome to UM sorry never heard of it though

#18    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

• ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 11 October 2006 - 04:00 PM

I did an image search on the grinning man and found this:

user posted image

I now have the serious creeps.

#19    licata1708

licata1708

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 04:57 PM

I think this is very old....here is what I found so far on the net (besides links back to this thread original.gif)

The Dark Man and other aspects

Nearly all of the early Verbonic settlements circulated stories of a being known as "The Dark Man" that lived in the primordial woods beyond the settlements' borders. Deeply religious and at the same time almost hysterically superstitious, clinging precariously to the edges of an unexplored and therefore terrifying land, it was only natural for people in those times to project their collective fears onto the unknown. For the predominantly fundamentalist sects that first colonized the Viscounty, these projections typically were embodiments of the concept of the Devil.

The Dark Man generally takes the form of a man, sometimes of large or even giant stature but more often no larger than a natural human. He is invariably dark-skinned, although rarely described as a Suel -- most often he is a Flan with jet-black skin, thus combining the refined, cunning intelligence of the Flaness with the base carnality of the Sueloise. He is regularly portrayed as the consort of witches. He has many names: The Dark Man, The Grinning Man, Old Scratch, Springheel Jack, The Evil One, etc., but always his formal appellation -- "Lucifer" or "Satan" -- is scrupulously avoided, a holdover from the tradition that to speak a demon's name is to attract his attention and perhaps even summon him.

More interesting to the folklorist are the names that harken further back than these simple superstitions, recalling a more pagan portrayal of the dark and unknown. These tales, which originate from the more reclusive colonies, often bring out the more animalistic, nature-worshipping aspect of the Dark Man. He is sometimes pictured as being covered with hair, or having hooves instead of feet, resembling Classical images of Pan. His names are more obscure: The Wicker (or Wicca) Man; The Black Goat With A Thousand Young. Therein lie tantalizing clues offering the enterprising folklorist still deeper glimpses into the collective unconscious. Source/Full Article

#20    GoddessKate

GoddessKate

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:02 PM

Wow, now this is very useful. It gets back beyond the latter-day sightings and gets to the root of things. I dunno how much I'm going to accept the parts that say 'associated with witches' as.... well, back then everything demonic and stuff was associated with witches. But this - as well as that carving - is very interesting.

The only trouble is, upon investigating, that that might be source material concerning a D&D game. Gah! Frustration.

That carving also put my hair up too, actually.

#21    chaoszerg

chaoszerg

Underpants Gnome

• 9,418 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:17 PM

well on friday i'm off to the book store and i'm going to buy that book i mentioned written by john keel and i'm going to read it and find out about the grinning man. That is of course if my book store has it.

#22    Legendcop13

Legendcop13

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 43 posts

• The Legend Guru

Posted 12 October 2006 - 01:48 AM

That Spring Heeled Jack guy doesn't sound like a very nice guy does he?!? Goddesskate, what makes you so interested in the legend? You know, how'd it get to catch up with you?

Edited by Legendcop13, 12 October 2006 - 01:50 AM.

~Cop13

#23    Beggars

Beggars

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

• "We dream of ways to break these iron bars."

Posted 12 October 2006 - 02:47 AM

i was told that my cousin seen a man that was tall,wearing like a cloak kinda thingy,he had a dark brimmed hat,or maybe it was a hood,anyways,and he took off the hat or pulled down the hood and he had no eyes,no nose,and he had a big smile on his face,he stared at her for a bit then kept on walking.she thought it was one of her friends playing a prank on her but found out that her friends were inside.i think i've seen him as ti has matched the description exactly but i got to scared and just ran away before he smiled at me.People call him the Man in Black or the Dark Man

#24    cubsfan7

cubsfan7

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 184 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 01:02 AM

lengendcop13 would u be very nice if u breathed fire and killed women

Posted Image

#25    Legendcop13

Legendcop13

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 43 posts

• The Legend Guru

Posted 13 October 2006 - 01:31 AM

Wll Cubsfan7, u do have  point there don't ya!!! tongue.gif  grin2.gif  rofl.gif

~Cop13

#26    cubsfan7

cubsfan7

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 184 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 01:40 AM

o i do have a point there c y else would a grunt b jumping up and down

Posted Image

#27    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

• ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 13 October 2006 - 03:43 PM

lengendcop13 would u be very nice if u breathed fire and killed women

huh.gif  No women killing, please.

#28    Halcon

Halcon

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 12:10 AM

Whilst I'm sure this is very serious, the first thing that came into my head was "V for Vendetta." Anyone else?

Seriously though. Grinning mask wearing black?

Springheeled Jack sounds like a good answer though.

#29    Vandor

Vandor

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:07 PM

Isnt the grinning man the giant 6 foot tall creature that tried to climb into someone's house? I read something about it in a book about North American unexplained creatures

#30    GoddessKate

GoddessKate

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:30 PM

LegendCop13, would it surprise you if I mentioned that I've seen something like this myself? I didn't say anything about it before but I had a particular sighting of this kind of thing myself. Dark sort of clothing, pale skin, frightening grin, waxy skin, dark eyes, frightening stillness. I also did some research (like on here about different legends) and met up with a guy who saw something similar when he was a kid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users