Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Grinning Man

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61    Agent Darkbootie

Agent Darkbootie

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:41 PM

View PostOldTimeRadio, on 16 October 2009 - 04:35 AM, said:

Some have suggested that "Indrid Cold" was not so much the creature's name but a statement of his condition or a description of where he originated...."In Dread Cold."

Boy, leave it to an alien to speak in purple prose.

The mental image of this guy kinda makes me think of Primus' "Devil Went Down to Georgia" video.

And here's a picture that'll sooth me to sleep every night til I die. http://rookery5.avia...a7_625x1000.jpg

#62    louisvilleseeker

louisvilleseeker

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:51 PM

found this on wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia....he_Grinning_Man

not sure if its the same, but i found it pretty quickly.

#63    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,264 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:28 AM

The Grinning man is/was allways connected to U.F.O sightings

#64    Zur En Arrh

Zur En Arrh

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 16 posts

• "So it goes..." Vonnegut

Posted 04 May 2010 - 01:39 AM

View PostHollyDolly, on 03 November 2008 - 02:10 PM, said:

Victor Hugo,who wrote The Hunchback of Notre Dame wrote a book called  The Man Who Laughs.It is about a man who as a child had the corners of his mouth slit by someone,and has this perpetual grin because of it. It was reprinted as a Classic Comic,and was a silent movie starring Conrad Veidt and Mary Philbin. I don't believe it has ever been remade.
I'll look at Wikepedia to see if they have something on it. And apparently this was something done by beggars to induce sympathy in passersby to give money to unfortunates.Apparently he based his book on a real pratice of the past.

Interesting info HollyDolly...especially the part about the child who had the corners of his mouth slit...reminds me incredibly of the Joker from DC Comics..could definitely be a connection there in the inspiration especially considering the very mysterious nature of the Joker: he is never affirmatively identified, much like the Grinning Man

So it goes...

#65    Mr.Thick

Mr.Thick

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:11 AM

I researched a little on this entity and ended up on Youtube. There is a really good short film on the Grinning Man. Here it is if anyone is interested.

#66    El Generico

El Generico

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 109 posts

• OLE!

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:01 AM

You mean the Disturbed guy logo? 'Cause I mean...he fits the description perfectly..
Posted Image

"I'm not superstitious...But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little stitious."
-Michael Scott

#67    Agent Darkbootie

Agent Darkbootie

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:16 PM

Zombie-Alien-Fabio Strikes Back.

#68    Antinomy

Antinomy

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 03:30 AM

I've heard of him as a kid, but the stories are kinda forgotten.

Edited by Fatalis, 21 May 2010 - 03:36 AM.

Posted Image

#69    shorttail1

shorttail1

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 12:41 AM

my uncle told me stories about the grinning man, said the guy wore a black hoodie and had big eyes and the hugest grin you'd ever seen, and some people say he's bald with no nose. my uncle said after a hurricane happened somewhere (i forgot where) but as people were leaving going over a bridge alot of people said they saw he grinning man a police officer went to talk to the guy but he just disappeared my uncle told me that the last reported sight was by a bunch of kids.   :D

#70    xXxSquidzxXx

xXxSquidzxXx

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:33 AM

Ah yes the Grinning Man. A truly frighting thing to come upon. The most famous accounts of it coming from the incident in New Jersey but for me, the interactions that people had with the Grinning Man "Indrid Cold" are far more interesting.

Indrid Cold is somehow related to the Mothman sightings at Point Pleasant, West Virginia in the 1960s. Mothman seems to not be a new species (Making it a bit of an uninteresting topic to some cryptozoologists), but something paranormal or from another world of some sort. Indrid Cold's first reported visit to Point Pleasant happened when a man was driving on a road at night to see a strange craft blocked his path and a 6 foot tall man stepped out of the car. The man was incredibly tan, had a huge grin, had slicked back hair, and was wearing a strange glistening green material. Idrid apparently spoke to the man telepathically and asked him some odd questions and told him his name was "Cold". Then the Cold stepped back into his craft and left.

After that several people had reported strange lights around their houses and appliances turning off and on unexpectedly. Many people had frighting dreams of the Indrid Cold at night. More specifically a family in rural Point Pleasant reported many lights appearing over their house every night, sometimes they were so close they could see it looked a bit like a diamond shaped aircraft. At times automobiles would stop for no apparent reason near the families house and the family reported cabinets opening then slamming in the night. The family would chain lock their front door at night and find it mysteriously opened in the morning. Members of the family would occasionally hear banging of metallic objects and a baby crying. The daughter had a frighting encounter with a being much like Indrid Cold, towering over her bed and grinning at her, she then screamed causing her parents to run in and the daughter claimed that there was a man in her room. The daughter refused to sleep alone after that.

The Grinning Man may be something paranormal or alien, it has been linked to disasters and some odd events. Ah the strange things in this world we have.

Edited by xXxSquidzxXx, 09 December 2010 - 02:18 AM.

#71    Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:14 AM

Grinning Man is one scary dude

#72    SoManyThings

SoManyThings

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 03:19 AM

i looked him up . they are talking about this on other forums too
http://www.profiling...inning_man.html
http://hoppingmice.b...inning-man.html
The more i read, the more freaked out i get

#73    TheGrinningMan

TheGrinningMan

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 06:43 PM

Hello I have done some research into the grinning man. From my studies it originated from a creepypasta.That is the most direct mention of the grinning man. Sorry not to be much help.

#74    Kaeto

Kaeto

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 57 posts

• "Ancient Chinese Sec--WAIT YOUR DAMN TURN."
    -Ashley

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:08 PM

I know this thread hasn't been posted on in a few months, but I found it too interesting not to share this;
This thread jogged a few memories. Not of encounters, but stories from my grandfather when I was young and in New Jersey. I remember him saying something about seeing a "man with a terrible grin." He passed away in 1997, but I'll see if any of my aunts or uncles can tell me anything next time I'm back home.

#75    Dracos Nightwolf

Dracos Nightwolf

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:46 AM

I don't know about anyone else here, but I always start grinning when I'm dressed in all black and want to be creepy... lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users