Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What Is The Christian View On The Dinosaur?

• Please log in to reply
628 replies to this topic

#1    Cadetak

Cadetak

Defender of the Universe

• 6,371 posts

• Sometimes It's Darkest Just Before Dawn

Posted 11 October 2006 - 04:18 AM

The existence of dinosaurs in the earths history contradicts the events in the bible. In the Genisis stories God created earth with modern day animals.

I'm looking for the "oficial" christian explanation on this. I didn't post this in the Skeptic forum because I'm trying to start that debate...just an answer if there is one and if there is not maybe a debate between christians(or bible historians).

Between Red Team and Blue Team I stand colorblind

Posted Image

"The opposite of the religious fanatic is not the fanatical atheist but the gentle cynic who cares not whether there is a god or not."-Eric Hoffer

#2    SwampGator

SwampGator

Skeptical Skeptic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

• It seems common sense is not that common.

Posted 11 October 2006 - 04:21 AM

You won't get a debate with christians or bible historians.
They will avoid this thread like the plague.

"The ones who look so far outside the box they lose the box completely = Blind Believer"   Chaoszerg

#3    Cadetak

Cadetak

Defender of the Universe

• 6,371 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 04:28 AM

So am I to assume there isn't a real explanation? I can't believe a pope or someone hasn't answered this. Dinosaurs are basically 99.9% proven to have existed. Some one some where had to have had an explanation.

I mean it takes hours for star wars fanboys to fix story problems within the movies.

Posted Image

"The opposite of the religious fanatic is not the fanatical atheist but the gentle cynic who cares not whether there is a god or not."-Eric Hoffer

#4    Avinash_Tyagi

Avinash_Tyagi

Government Agent

• 3,871 posts

• Searching For Answers

Posted 11 October 2006 - 04:48 AM

So am I to assume there isn't a real explanation? I can't believe a pope or someone hasn't answered this. Dinosaurs are basically 99.9% proven to have existed. Some one some where had to have had an explanation.

I mean it takes hours for star wars fanboys to fix story problems within the movies.

I've heard some say that christians believe the fossil evidence to be faked (I know it sounds crazy to me too rolleyes.gif  rofl.gif )

Spider-pig, Spider-pig, does whatever a Spider-pig does   Homer Simpson

Everyday the cafe's and and outdoor markets of the middle east explode in anticipation! -Aasif Mandvi

Vir!  Intelligence has no place in politics! Londo Mollari

WWBD: What Would Belldandy Do?

When Christians attack!:

#5    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,938 posts

• Paranoid Android... One Mippippi, two Mippippi, three Mippipi....

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:57 AM

Could you please explain what it is about the dinosaurs that contradict the Bible?  Is it just the Genesis 1 account of the earth being created in seven days, or is there more to it than that?  When you respond, I'll give a more in-depth response thumbsup.gif  

Cheers, PA

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#6    Cadetak

Cadetak

Defender of the Universe

• 6,371 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:06 AM

Well in the bible God created Man first with all other modern day animals like bears, dogs, etc. He didn't make dinosaurs, kill them off, and then make man...he made man first. Get what I mean?

Posted Image

#7    Avinash_Tyagi

Avinash_Tyagi

Government Agent

• 3,871 posts

• Searching For Answers

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:09 AM

Well in the bible God created Man first with all other modern day animals like bears, dogs, etc. He didn't make dinosaurs, kill them off, and then make man...he made man first. Get what I mean?

Well you gotta have food for the dinosaurs rofl.gif

Spider-pig, Spider-pig, does whatever a Spider-pig does   Homer Simpson

Everyday the cafe's and and outdoor markets of the middle east explode in anticipation! -Aasif Mandvi

Vir!  Intelligence has no place in politics! Londo Mollari

WWBD: What Would Belldandy Do?

When Christians attack!:

#8    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,938 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:26 AM

Umm, just for reference could you point me to a single Bible-verse where humans are created before animals?

Edited by Paranoid Android, 11 October 2006 - 06:29 AM.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#9    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

• As darkness falls, night unfolds ebony wings to wrap the world in it's dark embrace.

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:40 AM

Umm, just for reference could you point me to a single Bible-verse where humans are created before animals?

Asking more questions to answer a question isn't giving an answer. wink2.gif

The bible doesn't mention dinosaurs anywhere, nor does it explain why they were there. You can't tell me that they didn't know about it because well... Dinosaurs were everywhere on earth with many many many different kinds.

Something tells me that the people creating a religion and writing a book to follow didn't know about them.  innocent.gif

You can't tell me either that off-beat words that translate into different meanings = dinosaurs either. There are many other reptiles that are not dinosaurs. original.gif

Even more so Noah was suppose to collect two of every kind of animal... Which by today's standards is impossible no matter which way you cut it.

Here's a laid out view of Christians on the dinosaurs... Remember what you've learned in school when reading this... wink2.gif Link

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

"Passion, peace. Strength, knowledge. Power, serenity. Victory, harmony. Freedom, the Force." ~Ashara Zavros

#10    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,938 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:49 AM

Wait a sec, I think I just answered slightly different to the point you intended blush.gif tongue.gif

To give you my fuller response then, From a purely textual point of view, leaving aside the literal days idea, the Bible only says (concerning animals/humans) that animals were created first and only at the end were humans created.  If you take a day of creation as literally a 24-hour period, then perhaps you'd have a point, but there is plenty of textual basis to suggest that the "day" refers to a long period of time - thousands, or even millions of years.

I guess I should point out here that I don't know what the "official church doctrine" is on this matter.  Quite frankly, I've never cared enough to ask.  I had my own answers from the study I've done and it's made perfect sense to me.  I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of churches followed a similar rationale than the one I suggested above.

Though my personal study has led me to the conclusion that Genesis is not in fact an account of how the earth was created.  THe linguistic structure is very reminiscent of poetry.  I take the text not as an account of how things came to be, but an an account of the one behind it all (God).

Regardless of whether it's literally seven days, or whether it's just a large period of time, or whether it's a poetic rendition, when I read it, I get the same core message - God was the cause.  

Hope that helps thumbsup.gif

Regards, PA

Posted Image

#11    jagerthorn

jagerthorn

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 345 posts

• A product of the demented imagination of a lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate who has found a way to live out where the real winds blow.

Posted 11 October 2006 - 01:34 PM

That's a very good question, but just to point out - not everyone of us Christians believe that evolution and the dinosaurs are abruptly a misconception, or something not of our peaceful world rolleyes.gif...

To tell you my view point, the seven days of creation talked about in Genesis, was WAY more than seven days (obviously, there is no other possible scientific way). In fact, it was an abbreviation, for many MORE days. A extended thread of evolution, when he put the smallest cell on the planet to evolve into the mightiest of dinosaurs, and into animals, and thus into man. A long stretch of creation, if I may say so. Genesis is filled with all sorts of hidden secrets wink2.gif.

--clickie clickie--
I'm feelin' like a monster truck at the botanical garden.

#12    Bella-Angelique

Bella-Angelique

Caprica Six Cylon

• 7,174 posts

• There is more to learn

Posted 11 October 2006 - 01:45 PM

There is no spontaneous creation in Genesis. It is all written as evolving in stages. Man as the most evolved animal is listed as last.

Believe it or not, somehow ancient man was able to figure out that he was smarter than a fish or a rabbit. As hard as this is to believe it is absolutely true.

Posted Image

#13    ohio tsunami

ohio tsunami

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 01:57 PM

='__Kratos__' date='Oct 11 2006, 02:40 AM' post='1385351']
Here's a laid out view of Christians on the dinosaurs... Remember what you've learned in school when reading this... wink2.gif Link

I'm not disrespecting or bashing Christians, but how they explain the Dinosaurs is absurd.  They claim that evolution scientists have no proof of the age of bones they dug up.  Where is thier proof that science is wrong?  Not the Bible, but solid proof.  I've never heard the theory that Noah didn't have room for the dinosaurs, that's why they died.  Come on, they gotta do better than that.  The Earth is only 6000 years old?  Again, how did they come up with that number.  It says that passages in the Bible are the key to finding the age of the Earth and Heavens, which ones?  How can anyone look at Genesis and read deep enough to figure out the story of the Dinosaurs when it says nothing about them?

#14    hetrodoxly

hetrodoxly

Alien Abducter

• 4,955 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 03:50 PM

Many christians don't take the bible literally, and can happily live with evolution and dinosaur's I'm going to tell my very old dinosaur joke "what do you call a short-sighted dinosaur? A doyouthinkhesaurus" grin2.gif

Edited by hetrodoxly, 11 October 2006 - 03:51 PM.

Thank god i'm an athiest.

Veni, vidi, Vertigo, i came i saw i couldn't get down.
Hetrodoxly.

#15    odas

odas

Poltergeist

• 2,758 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 04:34 PM

I have to take sides with Paranoid A.

The Bible does not claim anywhere that God created the Man first.

In fact, if we read Genesis, we will see that god createt the Human not once but twice.
Adam is not the first Human created, but the first with a soul.

Further more, translating into todays science to create something in one, two or six days is quiet posible if we go by light years e.g. Quran about Gabriel: for him one day is for us 50000 years, or 500000.

Speed of the light. Unknown back then, or?

So does the Bible denies the exsitence of dinosaurs? No.
Does the bible confirms the existence of dinosaurs? Indirectly by mentioning animals in the see and land and skys.
At the end, dinosaurs were animals too, or?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users