Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What Is The Christian View On The Dinosaur?

• Please log in to reply
628 replies to this topic

#556    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 24,639 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:07 AM

View PostArbitran, on 23 June 2012 - 09:52 AM, said:

Alright:
  • Guidelines as to sell your daughter as a sex-slave
  • Kill homosexuals (male; women aren't mentioned, of course)
  • Set your Jewish slaves free after seven years (unless you buy them a wife), but keep non-Jewish slaves forever
  • Don't wear mixed fabrics
  • Don't eat shellfish
  • Don't eat pork
  • Kill "witches"
  • If you get into a fight, and your wife interferes, and grabs the testicles of your opponent, cut your wife's hand off
  • Stone unruly children to death
  • Cure leprosy by slaughtering pigeons and splashing their blood about
  • Menstruating women are "unclean"
  • Pregnant women are "unclean"
  • Force a rape victim to marry her rapist
  • Don't work on Saturday (under pain of death by stoning)
These are a few that I find questionable...
Hi Arb,

I was going to start a new thread on this topic (Old Testament laws aren't quite on the topic of the dinosaur), but chances are this is the last time I'll be responding for three months.  I've got a program I'm involved with for work training, and it will mean I'm heading out in the middle of nowhere for three months (not sure if I'll have time to get on the net, or even what the internet facilities will be like).  So I'll respond to your post with my thoughts, but I just wanted you to know that I probably won't be replying any time in the next few months.  So with that said:

Guidelines as to sell your daughter as a sex-slave - I find the term "sex-slave" in this comment to be highly misleading.  In a society where arranged marriages are the norm the concept of "sex slavery" is illogical.  Last year I worked with a woman who came from a country where arranged marriages were still practised.  She met her husband only shortly before their marriage, and it was her family and her husband's family who arranged the marriage between them - she was quite happy with her situation in life because she grew up expecting it and not thinking in Western terms of Hollywood-ised love.  Can the system be abused so that one or the other partner is abuse (sexually/physically/emotionally/etc)?  Of course it can, but it was not the norm and certainly not the intention of the rules governing arranged marriages.  

The intentions of this set of rules was to outline a stable family unit which people could model their family on, thus providing stability for the tribe.  Since arranged marriages are not the norm in most parts of the world today (some still do, such as the person I referenced earlier) the ideal Christian family should include a mother and a father in lifelong union with the other, raising their children together.

Kill homosexuals (male; women aren't mentioned, of course) - Ah, the good ol' Leviticus 18 and 20 passages.  You are aware that the passage is not referring to homosexuals but actually referring to homosexual practises solely in the context of idol worship?  I dealt with this in THIS POST (link) a couple of years back, so I’ll let you have a look at that.

As for the intentions of this rule, it was in a society that thrived largely because of a united religious outlook.  Worship of other deities destabilised Israelite society, it is a recurring issue that often caused Israel to go astray.  In modern society, we are neither destabilised by alternative viewpoints, nor is our way of life endangered by different views, so Christians can take from this a reminder that God is the only God and that we should not pursue worship of other deities, but the actual punishment is no longer valid.

Which brings me to one other point of note – punishments and laws are not the same thing.  You’ll see this in a couple of other points – underlying laws remain the same, but the punishments do not.  In this case the law is “you shall have no other gods before Yahweh”.  The punishment is left up to God, who has set out consequences for not following this.

Set your Jewish slaves free after seven years (unless you buy them a wife), but keep non-Jewish slaves forever – First, slavery no longer exists in most parts of the world, so the question of Jewish and non-Jewish slaves is not of consequence.  As to the intention of the law there are two ways to address it:
  • The law existed in the first place because Jews (at the time) were God’s chosen people.  They had a special relationship with God, thus had different treatment in certain matters
  • Non-Jewish slaves were usually a result of prisoners of war.  Jewish slaves, in contrast, were usually people who volunteered to serve a master.  Setting free a Jewish slave meant that the Jew would either take up as a slave with another master (or remain in service with their master as is), or they may have enough to support themselves.  Setting free a non-Jewish slave would lead to one of two possibilities:  either 1- if the tribe/nation still existed, the non-Jew would return to their people and once again begin to fight against Israel, or 2- If it no longer existed (destroyed by Israel or another nation) they would have no people to go back to and thus live out their lives as outcasts, which was a virtual death sentence since they had no way to support themselves.
Don't wear mixed fabrics – A rule made for the Israelites when they were first emerging as a nation from under the feet of larger superpowers.  They were setting up a national identity declaring "this is who we are and we are different than others".  Since the time of Jesus the separation between Jew and Gentile no longer exists.  Our intention should be to live a life that is different to non-Christians but this is reflected in our action and not our dress.

Don’t eat shellfish – Jesus addressed this issue in THIS PASSAGE (link).  The rule was originally a simple health law – in those days, it was hard to keep seafood fresh and it would spoil thus causing harm.  Even today keeping it fresh is hard and in the case of sickness many doctors will suggest right from kickoff to not eat shellfish (or any of the other foods listed in Leviticus 11).

The intention of the law was (firstly) a health law, but it also served as a reminder that when Israel sat down and ate their meals they would meditate on God's wishes.  Jesus gave this a fuller meaning so that whenever we even open our mouths we should meditate on God's wishes.

Don’t eat pork – see above concerning shellfish, same issue.

Kill "witches" – See homosexuality, focusing on the “don’t worship any God but Yahweh” section.

If you get into a fight, and your wife interferes, and grabs the testicles of your opponent, cut your wife's hand off – I’ll have to check the context of this, I’m not certain of the passage you are referring to, if you have one can you provide it (as I said though, I’ll be gone for three months so I probably won’t actually be able to respond, I’ll try though – maybe send a PM if you still actually care about my answer in October, lol).

Stone unruly children to death – As you can probably guess these type of questions turn up fairly often on this site.  I answered this question in another thread a while back and you can check the answer I gave HERE (link).  Also worth noting is that this is a punishment and not a law.  The law (“honour your mother and father”) is still just as valid today as ever.  

Cure leprosy by slaughtering pigeons and splashing their blood about – I’d have to check this further, do you have a passage you can reference?  As above, if you still care in October I’ll PM you :P

Menstruating women are "unclean" – This hails from a time when procreation and producing children was an absolute necessity (no children means a tribe dies out).  Thus having sex with a woman during her menstruation period was forbidden in order that sex would lead to children.  Unless a woman in Hebrew society must walk around with a sign saying "I am unclean right now" a person walking by won't even know she is menstruating.  Thus the comments on "touching" a menstruating woman are in the context of husband/wife relations and do not reflect a wider context.

Pregnant women are "unclean" – Does the Bible actually specify this?  It does say that a woman is unclean for a period of time after giving birth, but I can't recall the actual pregnancy being unclean. I could be wrong, so if I am let me know (though as already noted I'll have to get back to you much later about a response).

Force a rape victim to marry her rapist – see earlier comment on sex slavery arranged marriage, focus on the stability in terms of tribal unity.  It's hard for us in our society to understand, but people in these ancient societies were more interested in unity than the Rights of any one individual.  If a woman has her virginity stolen (even via rape) for tribal societies it was more important to keep the tribe united.

Don't work on Saturday (under pain of death by stoning) – The underlying law here is "Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy".  That has not changed.  But the way in which we understand the Sabbath is different than how the Israelites viewed it.  While many Christians labour under the mistaken impression that Sunday is the Sabbath, some Christians understand that originally it was Saturday but contextualise this in terms of Hebrews 4:1-11 (link).  In this passage, the author writes of a "Sabbath rest" that we strive to enter and even currently reside in.  For us, the Sabbath of the Jews was a foreshadowing of a much greater Rest period - instead of participating in a time of rest once a week we believe that we constantly participate in God's Sabbath rest, first in the present by having the Holy Spirit dwelling in our lives, and secondly in the future when we enter God's kingdom.

That said, there is wisdom in setting aside a "rest day" in our weekly schedule, otherwise we may be susceptible to burnout or other fatigue related problems, but most Christians don't feel it necessary that we do so.

Finally, on the point of "under pain of death by stoning" I once again remind you of the difference between a law and a punishment.  The law ("Remember the Sabbath") still remains true.  The punishment (death) no longer is relevant in a society that is not striving for tribal unity (a necessity back in ancient times, but today in a global community totally unnecessary).  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, Arb, I hope you have plenty of food for thought here.  I know you won't agree with it, but I hope you can at least see my side of things on at least some of the points.  Enjoy, feel free to respond if you wish, I'll be interested to see what may or may not come of this.  But as noted, I won't be replying until probably October (and by then this thread and the point/s will be dead and I'll probably send you a PM, if you are still interested).

~ Regards, PA

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#557    Arbitran

Arbitran

Post-Singularitan Hyperturing Synthetic Intelligence

• 2,767 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:35 AM

You are correct in saying that I disagree with these precepts, but it is note-worthy that I no indeed see your side now, at the very least. Certainly food-for-thought, as you say.

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#558    woopypooky

woopypooky

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:41 AM

i guess even Pope also cant answer this topic

#559    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:41 AM

Bible mentions dinosaurs, leviathan and behemoth.

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#560    Yamato

Yamato

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,949 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:03 PM

I'm not sure that punishments are always distinct from laws.  In my state we have the death penalty and that is a law.  If punishment keeps showing up as a theme in ancient society it just shows the punitive nature of ancient society.  Maybe that's not a very good reason for religious disbelief, or for some maybe it is.   I think some people use the Bible's utility as a science textbook the way other people use ancient laws (punishments) they don't agree with as a slippery slope to deny the whole ball of wax.

Ironically, in other countries like China today they have the death penalty for victimless non-violent crimes --Christianity has nothing to do with it-- and Buddhism has nothing to do with stopping it.  People who identify themselves as Buddhists might want to take this fact into account while they're poo-pooing Christianity for long-obsolescent OT laws/punishments in existence thousands of years ago.   One might say that Buddhism doesn't instruct anyone to kill anyone in the execution of their laws but neither does modern-day Christianity, so that self-assured convenience that says "my opinions are best" drones ever on.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#561    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 24,639 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:40 PM

View PostArbitran, on 24 June 2012 - 10:35 AM, said:

You are correct in saying that I disagree with these precepts, but it is note-worthy that I no indeed see your side now, at the very least. Certainly food-for-thought, as you say.
I'm glad that even if we disagree that you can see my side of things and even entertain the possibility.  Some I have conversed with over time have not been able to do that.  And believe it or not, I can see your side of things also, even if I stringently disagree with it.

I'm headed to bed, and in six hours I'm heading off to my new and hopefully temporary life away from UM.  See you in October.

So long, and thanks for all the fish (if you're a Hitch-hiker's fan, you'll get my meaning and incidentally my username).  Chow :devil:

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#562    Arbitran

Arbitran

• 2,767 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:44 PM

View PostEver Learning, on 24 June 2012 - 10:41 AM, said:

Bible mentions dinosaurs, leviathan and behemoth.

Again, those are mythical. (Behemot could have been a distorted hearsay account of an elephant)

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#563    Arbitran

Arbitran

• 2,767 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:47 PM

View PostParanoid Android, on 24 June 2012 - 03:40 PM, said:

I'm glad that even if we disagree that you can see my side of things and even entertain the possibility.  Some I have conversed with over time have not been able to do that.  And believe it or not, I can see your side of things also, even if I stringently disagree with it.

I'm headed to bed, and in six hours I'm heading off to my new and hopefully temporary life away from UM.  See you in October.

So long, and thanks for all the fish (if you're a Hitch-hiker's fan, you'll get my meaning and incidentally my username).  Chow :devil:

Indeed. I wish you luck, by the way, in your new venture.

#564    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:52 PM

View PostArbitran, on 24 June 2012 - 02:23 AM, said:

Behemot and Livyathan were not dinosaurs; they were mythical animals.

Correct indeed they were  just mythical  creatures  invents ...Not real live  animals  or even close to a dinosaur.. And to show anyone else interested as to what these things once were...info below

BehemothPosted Image

The Behemoth is a huge and hairy creature that has super strength. It has very big claws and sharp teeth.

It was a creature in the Heroes Might and Magic series.

Posted Image
Element/sin : demon of lust and gluttony

Shape : elephant or hippopotamus, a cat

Rank : a headwaiter, or the caretaker of wine cellars of Hell

Origin : Egyptian deity Taueret.

Myths : One of the first monster created by God to guard the Earth

Magic : "his strength is in his loins, and his force is in the navel of his belly"

Association : Leviathan

Source : Book of Job, Enoch, Apocalypse, Jean Wier’s Pseudomonarchia Daemonum, Boulgakov, Blake ...
http://www.mythicalc...m/page/Behemoth

Conclusion is - it doesn't sound like a real dinosaur to me..Just an invented made up scarey monster  invented by mankind.. Most likely to share in old ancient folk tales ... But not what we can class as an actual dinosaur .. !!

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#565    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:55 PM

View PostParanoid Android, on 17 June 2012 - 06:04 PM, said:

As was mentioned by libstaK, chances are that most people in this thread will no longer be here (including my dear late friend cadetak, RIP). In the end, a fresh start sounds like a great idea, so that new members can participate in these threads.

I have to agree with you PA  ..In  memory of our friend   * the OP starter of this fine thread   -> Cadetak ..It is good to keep something from him  going strong again...May he RIP  ...Lets hope his thread  goes strong...We will not forget him.....We  salute you Cadetak..Hope you are smiling on us all..

View Postjbondo, on 23 June 2012 - 03:58 PM, said:

The OP asked a question, but it would seem that the question was just an agenda to bait Christians into another killing field. I would certainly hope that's not what was intended.

You may not have known  but - The OP starter  passed away some time ago.. We,  that knew him. all deeply miss and respect him.. Seeing this old thread again  makes many of us smile and glad to see something of his  going strong...  I assure  you  despite what you wish to complain in ref to his OP.. he was not in any way looking to bait anyone.. The thread indeed is a good one and hopefully continue that way....Now you may not have known..but now  you do..

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 24 June 2012 - 08:29 PM.

#566    Arbitran

Arbitran

• 2,767 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:59 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 24 June 2012 - 07:52 PM, said:

Correct indeed they were  just mythical  creatures  invents ...Not real live  animals  or even close to a dinosaur.. And to show anyone else interested as to what these things once were...info below

BehemothPosted Image

The Behemoth is a huge and hairy creature that has super strength. It has very big claws and sharp teeth.

It was a creature in the Heroes Might and Magic series.

Posted Image
Element/sin : demon of lust and gluttony

Shape : elephant or hippopotamus, a cat

Rank : a headwaiter, or the caretaker of wine cellars of Hell

Origin : Egyptian deity Taueret.

Myths : One of the first monster created by God to guard the Earth

Magic : "his strength is in his loins, and his force is in the navel of his belly"

Association : Leviathan

Source : Book of Job, Enoch, Apocalypse, Jean Wier’s Pseudomonarchia Daemonum, Boulgakov, Blake ...
http://www.mythicalc...m/page/Behemoth

Conclusion is - it doesn't sound like a real dinosaur to me..Just an invented made up scarey monster  invented by mankind.. Most likely to share in old ancient folk tales ... But not what we can class as an actual dinosaur .. !!

That, and a very notable fact that no Christian wants to deal with: the literal interpretation of Job 40:17:

"His phallus stiffens like a cedar; the sinews of his testicles are tightly together."

Sounds a bit less like the "tail like a cedar" bull**** these people are vomiting up...

#567    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:28 PM

View PostArbitran, on 24 June 2012 - 07:59 PM, said:

That, and a very notable fact that no Christian wants to deal with: the literal interpretation of Job 40:17:

"His phallus stiffens like a cedar; the sinews of his testicles are tightly together."

Sounds a bit less like the "tail like a cedar" bull**** these people are vomiting up...

I see these creatures as nothing more than made up inventions  told as tall tales  like you would do around a camp fire...   The  TV show  Supernatural  based  a season about the Leviathan  ..They took it and used it to make a good story line for their show...Considering the show itself is based on all mythical monsters, demons and some angels.. it gives good ratings ..   It is supposed to be that - God invented these creatures   and sent then to purgatory because they got out of control ...Lucifer himself could not defeat them because he is an angel.. ( well fallen angel )  lol.. All tall tales but hey it makes money...I love the show ..

We have evidence of the actual dinosaurs.. but nothing of the made up creatures  some like to mention..

#568    Arbitran

Arbitran

• 2,767 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:39 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 24 June 2012 - 08:28 PM, said:

I see these creatures as nothing more than made up inventions  told as tall tales  like you would do around a camp fire...   The  TV show  Supernatural  based  a season about the Leviathan  ..They took it and used it to make a good story line for their show...Considering the show itself is based on all mythical monsters, demons and some angels.. it gives good ratings ..   It is supposed to be that - God invented these creatures   and sent then to purgatory because they got out of control ...Lucifer himself could not defeat them because he is an angel.. ( well fallen angel )  lol.. All tall tales but hey it makes money...I love the show ..

We have evidence of the actual dinosaurs.. but nothing of the made up creatures  some like to mention..

Indeed. Of course, I invariably have to mention to Christians that the story of Lucifer was invented almost entirely by John Milton for Paradise Lost in the 18th Century; the Bible doesn't say a word about any of that.

It seems Christians nowadays have a tendency to confuse Milton and C.S. Lewis for the Bible; but then, it isn't hard, considering so many of them have only read perhaps 10% of the actual Bible.

#569    Yamato

Yamato

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,949 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:15 PM

View PostArbitran, on 24 June 2012 - 08:39 PM, said:

Indeed. Of course, I invariably have to mention to Christians that the story of Lucifer was invented almost entirely by John Milton for Paradise Lost in the 18th Century; the Bible doesn't say a word about any of that.

It seems Christians nowadays have a tendency to confuse Milton and C.S. Lewis for the Bible; but then, it isn't hard, considering so many of them have only read perhaps 10% of the actual Bible.
If this topic wasn't meant to bait Christians that's what you're doing here anyway.   Not exactly respecting the memory of the dearly departed or his true intention for this discussion, right?

No you don't have to remind me if something didn't come out of the Bible, or think you're qualified to assign me my beliefs as a Christian to be limited to things that are only in the Bible.   :td:

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#570    Arbitran

Arbitran

• 2,767 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:18 PM

View PostYamato, on 24 June 2012 - 09:15 PM, said:

If this topic wasn't meant to bait Christians that's what you're doing here anyway.   Not exactly respecting the memory of the dearly departed or his true intention for this discussion, right?

No you don't have to remind me if something didn't come out of the Bible, or think you're qualified to assign me my beliefs as a Christian to be limited to things that are only in the Bible.   :td:

I merely noted that I find it interesting that most Christians would like to have their beliefs be Bible-based, and many modern Christians who haven't studied have a notable proclivity towards imagining that things like Paradise Lost and C.S. Lewis' books are part of the Bible's text. That was all I said. I apologize if you read into it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users