Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Haunted campuses

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16    MattB

MattB

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:06 AM

I went to college at University of North Texas and also Hardin-Simmons in Texas and both had haunted dorm buildings as well as a haunted stage and auditorium at Hardin-Simmons.

#17    ScarletRibbon

ScarletRibbon

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:20 AM

I was sleeping over in a friends room in a really, really old halls of residence here in England last night. It's over 100 years old and when we did a ouiji board that night, we had no problem talking to spirits, one of which claimed to live in the halls about 20 years ago.
I don't know if this counts but there are definitely ghosts floating around that place.

#18    slowfade

slowfade

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 210 posts

• "It's just a ride" - Bill Hicks

Posted 25 October 2010 - 03:40 PM

I went to a college in the south of England which was founded in the mid 19th century, and there were loads of stories of ghosts - particularly in one of the halls of residence (now demolished), which was alleged to be suicide central and haunted by the spirits of generations of students. Most of these tales were made up to scare gullible freshers though!

In the grounds of the main building is a statue of Queen Victoria, and it is still said that every New Year's Eve the statue comes to life and wanders round the campus. Lovely story, but I never met anyone who claimed to have seen her....  :)

"The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference
The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference
The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference
And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference"
- Eli Wiesel

#19    Mike D boy

Mike D boy

...from the Desert...

• 2,401 posts

• he's Native and Indio-geneous to the Americas.

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:19 AM

Not only college campuses, how about my story about a Jr. High school campus is where a ghost sighting happened before the school was built. It happened 30 years ago from one of Mom's friends (her husband died 7 yrs. ago of a heart attack). I called in the Art Bell radio show to report this too.

In the middle of the night, they are driving on a rural road (now the area has lots of homes and a school) when out of a date palm grove came a faint apparition of what looked like a young male ran fast across the road. The car put on its breaks and pulled over, but they turn around and the man "vanished" into thin air.  

They called the police dept. to file a report, where my Mom worked at the time and she learned a similar incident took place in the 1960s, but a young male was fatally injured. The neighbors saw the same ghostly figure (his description) over & over, and she came to believe this is his ghost trapped in suspension.

Today, the date palm grove is gone and became a school facility as of 18 years ago. His ghost sightings didn't happen again, like he decided to ''run'' somewhere else.  :hmm:

:innocent: The Truth is Out There - the X Files. :alien:

#20    Reelybored

Reelybored

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:35 PM

I actually live on a college campus (University at New Paltz) here in NY. I'm not a student as I completed my undergrad studies about 8 years ago, but my wife is employed by the University and all living expenses are accommodated (Woot!) Sure, living here makes me feel old, but not having to pay for rent... priceless!

Anyway, as anyone who has attended a university knows that for the holidays everyone goes home and the campus is almost completely isolated. My place of residence is no exception. It's like living in a 3-story apartment building by yourself. Of course, we just happened to be snowed in. Having nothing to do, I pretty much "forced" my wife into making a short film (no, not that kind) as I was really bored. After constantly nagging her, she caved and agreed to be the "star" of this short film. The premise of the film was simple: A young co-ed is stranded and isolated on a college campus after a heavy snow storm snow storm and strange things start to happen.

Little did we know at the time that "strange things" will actually be happening for real. Shortly after shooting we started to hear some noises from upstairs that sounded like heavy footsteps and furniture moving. We immediately stopped what we were doing and looked up towards the ceiling (we live on first floor). I looked at my wife and she had a look of both worry and anger as she well knew that no one else is supposed to be in the building. We stood in silence for a brief moment, listening and waiting for the noise again. Nothing happened.

We went back to filming and again, we herd what sounded like heavy footsteps and the sound of heavy furniture being dragged across the floor. Again, we looked up to the ceiling. At this point, my wife started to get a little creeped out. We halted "production" and went outside to walk the perimeter of the building to see if there any lights on. All windows were closed and all lights off as was standard protocol when vacating the building. As we approached the front of the building where our windows to the apartment is located, we noticed a pair of footprints that lead from our window and into the path we now stood on. Ok, weird. It was a little creepy although I did not attribute it to being anything paranormal. It could have been there before and we just never noticed it. Still, my wife was starting to freak out a bit.

We went back inside the building and despite of wife's refusal to do so, did a thorough search of the interior. Nothing was amiss. We returned to out apartment and well, I had a film to finish! Unfortunately for my wife, some of the shots I required involved being in the hallway. I got her to do it, quickly at that and usually in one take. After we finished, we returned to our apartment and locked the door behind us. My wife was at the brink of calling campus police but told her to leave it off until we heard something again. Needless to say, we did not.

I have to admit that I was a little creeped out but had to be macho for my wife's sake. I asked if there are any stories or anything linked to the building. She didnt know of any but did point out that there may been a suicide or two over the years. At this, my imagination took over and told that it may have been the spirit of a depressed co-ed dragging furniture across the room so that he/she may position him/herself to hang herself! She was not amused. What was it? I have no idea but I won't be jumping to any conclusions. Still, pretty cool story to tell friends when they come over and the campus is isolated :)

Jona

Reelybored Horror

Shorts!

Twitter - @ReelyBored

#21    showe

showe

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:05 PM

View Postsixxx, on 12 September 2007 - 08:20 PM, said:

<b>Humber college in Toronto down at the Kipling/Lakeshore area is said to be haunted as it was a psychiatric ward at one point.</b>

View Postglorybebe, on 12 September 2007 - 08:46 PM, said:

any more info on that?

My Sister in law was in residence there. She had a number of experiences mostly hearing sounds and what not. They have tunnels underneath to get from the dorms to the classes and she would refuse going in them at night as she continually heard things, chatter, footsteps etc. when there was no one else around.

The campus was a psychiatric asylum built sometime in the 1880's and I believe converted in the 70's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users