Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Looking for aliens in all the wrong places

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 24 October 2006 - 01:21 PM

Image credit: NASA
Image credit: NASA
Science-fiction fans may fondly recall writer-physicist David Brin's "Uplift Saga," in which cranky old alien races reliant on super-powerful computers are outsmarted by crafty humans who count on cunning to survive.

Fun stuff, but also the sort of idea that may point to where real-life searches for aliens have gone wrong, suggest a pair of extraterrestrial-minded astronomers.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: USA Today

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    Unlimited

Unlimited

Truthseeker

• Banned
  • 7,597 posts

• Give me liberty or give me death.....

Posted 24 October 2006 - 01:27 PM

I believe the human ets dont want SETI to find them because they dont trust SETI's motives?... mellow.gif

God Bless America..

"one man with courage,makes a majority"..tj

#3    Bella-Angelique

Bella-Angelique

Caprica Six Cylon

• 7,174 posts

• There is more to learn

Posted 24 October 2006 - 02:05 PM

I think they have naturally put most of their thought into tech and have ignored culture and discounted its importance.

Posted Image

#4    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 14,989 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 24 October 2006 - 03:00 PM

Interesting speculation but assumes any alien technological development is similar to our own. For example if they used light for power instead of electricity then I don't think heat would be such a problem.

Still if we were to find evidence of alien technology, we might only recognise it as such if it was fairly similar to our own so the idea has some merit. I don't think Mr Shostak's comments on alien sociolgy are necessarily relevant if we are taking about a machine or near-machine civilisation.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#5    ilovejules25

ilovejules25

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 08:16 PM

We haven't heard anything back because they don't want us to hear anything, not yet anyway...

#6    evil_mika

evil_mika

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 93 posts

• dee to the third power

Posted 24 October 2006 - 08:36 PM

maybe they're just jerks and they don't wanna talk to us cuz we're not cool enough.  crying.gif

Posted Image
why yes, i do have a myspace...don't look at me like that!

#7    Shuriken

Shuriken

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

• Can't you see
    It all makes perfect sense...

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:15 PM

yeah, that must be it...

Jesus is cuming back and boy, is he mad!

#8    AnuKabal

AnuKabal

Spirit Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

• I don't know much about wear i'm from, but i know i strike fear everywhere i come

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:29 PM

or maybe they dont use radio, they might have not taken the same path as us, or not at that stage in developement.

I shed no tear, and i hear no scream.  If i'm in your dreams then your end is near

#9    sugardady11203

sugardady11203

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 01:59 AM

So why hasn't SETI, the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence, heard any alien radio signals yet.

Thats because aliens are not like us ,i wouldn't expect them to use radio signals  or land near the white house like the movies.They're aliens!, they'll  comunicate in ways that we wouldn't even expect. Expect the unexpected!

#10    ilovejules25

ilovejules25

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 02:47 AM

True, maybe they already are trying to contact us we just don't realize it yet.  Who knows, maybe a deja vu is some kind of alien telepathy hehe.

#11    Star_girl

Star_girl

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

• I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars. Og Mandino

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:38 AM

I worry about the whole concept of trying to find intelligent life. If there is any life out there they probably already know we exist and do not want to contact us yet. Should we not respect their decision on this?

Also am I the only one gets vivid "Borg" flash backs if anyone mentions Machine intelligence? Do we really want to be broadcasting we are here, come and get us...

Sorry for being so pessimistic. Maybe I've seen too many space movies/tv series. I can't think of one where every lives in harmony and where someone does not try to take over the universe hmm.gif

Posted Image
Sig by The Scorpion

#12    fangs

fangs

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 239 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:52 AM

Even if we did recieve a signal by the time we got it there is a good chance they no longer exist or in the least have given up on finding us and moved on to better things.
I think if we are going to find any other forms of inteligent life it will be from another dimension. I think our reality is layered like an onion, all we need to do is find a way to discover these layers .The comunication problem will be the easy part.(then again i'm crazy, so i might not believe that way tomarow wink2.gif  )

#13    Twin Peaks

Twin Peaks

an invisible dream

• 2,956 posts

• I have no idea where this will lead us. But I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.

Posted 05 November 2006 - 05:42 PM

I believe that there is an incredible secret being kept from Earth. In the milky way galaxy there could be a groups of planets in the hundreds or even thousands that are waiting for humans to achieve a certain level of technological and sociological sophitication before they say "Hey what's up?"

Until then we are the equivalent of baby's in a baby carrage. They look at us now as an adult looks upon an infant i believe.

Posted Image

#14    Cebrakon

Cebrakon

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

• The juice of memory rises. When it spills will be the time of reversal....Mighty shall be the roar, violent the rending, joyous the release.

Posted 07 November 2006 - 08:09 AM

So why hasn't SETI, the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence, heard any alien radio signals yet, ask the report authors? The question is best known as "Fermi's Paradox," first posed by physicist Enrico Fermi in 1950, when he asked, "Where are they?" Even a modestly sophisticated alien species could likely colonize every star in the galaxy within 10 million years, Fermi reasoned, based on technologies understood more than half-a-century ago. Ever since, Fermi and his successors have been asking why we haven't heard from any aliens yet.

IPB Image\ View: Full Article | Source: USA Today

devil.gif It seems grotesquely arrogant to assume that older humanoid species would behave like us.  Sure, if we found a planet like Earth, we would colonize it.  We are a nasty, brutish, brutal species, destroying our ecology and one another whenever we can.  Surely advanced species would not behave like us.  Species advanced enough for star-travel are undoubtedly spiritually advanced too.  I can't really define that term "spiritually advanced" but IMHO anthropologists are more spiritually advanced than missionaries, traders, diplomats, and especially conquistadors.  No doubt they operate under something like Star Trek's Prime Directive, each in their own way, and let Earth evolve in its own fashion.  This is the theme of my book UFOs, PSI, and Interstellar Travel.

~~~Cebrakon

"I think, my Kepler, we will laugh at the extraordinary stupidity of the multitude.  What do you say of the leading philosophers here (U of Padua) who have never consented to look at the planets, or moon, or telescope?"    Galileo ,19th August 1610

Star Travel by Psionics

#15    T. W.

T. W.

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 06:12 AM

thumbsup.gif

I believe that there is an incredible secret being kept from Earth. In the milky way galaxy there could be a groups of planets in the hundreds or even thousands that are waiting for humans to achieve a certain level of technological and sociological sophitication before they say "Hey what's up?"

Until then we are the equivalent of baby's in a baby carrage. They look at us now as an adult looks upon an infant i believe.

im with you on your theory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users