Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghost Stories Haunt the White House

Nxt2Hvn

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The White House at night is a dark and spooky place, haunted, according to legend, by ghosts of dead presidents and a former British soldier.

"It is a big old house, and when the lights are out it is dark and quiet and any movement at all catches your attention," longtime White House chief usher Gary Walters said on Friday during a Halloween chat session on the White House Web site http://www.whitehouse.gov.

President Bush (news - web sites), who was spending Halloween at his Texas ranch, has never reported seeing a ghost, Walters said. But recent presidents have felt the presence of their predecessors, he said.

"The presidents that I have worked for have all indicated a feeling of the previous occupants of the White House and have all talked about drawing strength from the fact that the previous presidents have lived here," he said.

The spookiest area of the White House is probably the president's living area, Walters said. "Every sound resounds through the halls."

He declined to discuss any measures to protect the president from a malevolent ghost.

"I refer you to the Secret Service (news - web sites) information officer, as I'm not aware of the specifics in the security area," he said.

The White House has long had a reputation for being haunted -- most famously by the ghost of former President Abraham Lincoln.

Lincoln's wife, Mary, reportedly heard the ghost of Andrew Jackson "swearing up a storm," Walters said.

Other stories of the supernatural related by Walters included a seance by Mary Lincoln to recall the spirit of their dead son, Willie.

When the wife of President Woodrow Wilson wanted to dig up the rose garden, legend has it that the spirit of former first lady Dolley Madison appeared and warned them not to disturb her garden, Walters said.

"There is a story of a British soldier who died on the White House grounds ... in 1814 when the White House was burned by the British," Walters said. "It is said that some people have seen a British soldier with a torch in his hand, although I have no personal knowledge of this story."

Walters said several staff members have had eerie experiences and he described one he shared with three police officers.

"I was standing at the state floor of the White House. ... The police officers and I felt a cool rush of air pass between us and then two doors that stand open closed by themselves. I have never seen these doors move before without somebody specifically closing them by hand. It was quite remarkable."

Related Links:

whitehouse.gov

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pappagooch

• Nxt2Hvn

• Cufflink

• algernon the 3rd

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, thats correct algenon... It was a front page topic... Home page news

This is an interesting topic most definitly. I have been reading about the white house haunts since I could read as a kid!!! Of course ole Abe can't seem to leave the White House. With all the activity surrounding the White House, it definitly makes sense that the place has many strange occurrences !!! There has definitly been a lot of energy discharged over the years!!!

Yes, thats correct algenon... It was a front page topic... Home page news

I wasn't aware that this had been posted before.... Since I only just found this wonderful site a week ago!!!

blink.gif Do I still get to keep my "Remote Viewer" status... since this was my 150th post? blink.gif

Please.... I'lll make it up ... I promise!!! huh.gif

LOL, it's all good! tongue.gif We all do the same thing time to time laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif ... Especially when it comes to wonderful topics such as this....

With the poor man cut down in his prime, maybe Lincoln felt his work at the White House was unfinished. Perhaps that's why he's still hanging around?

and there was me thinking I'd had some sort of Psychic experience sad.gif

I forgive you original.gif

Good topic though, wonder if there are any ghosts wandering around No. 10 here in the UK.

With the poor man cut down in his prime, maybe Lincoln felt his work at the White House was unfinished. Perhaps that's why he's still hanging around?

I have also read somewhere that Lincoln dreamed about his own death... I can't remember where... I will try to research... Have you heard about this?

Or maybe they're just there to scare Mr. Bush out of the White House? tongue.gifgrin2.gif

I have also read somewhere that Lincoln dreamed about his own death... I can't remember where... I will try to research... Have you heard about this?

Now you mention it, it does ring a bell...and he woudn't be the first, either.

Now you mention it, it does ring a bell...and he woudn't be the first, either.

Here I Found it... This is suppose to be in Lincoln's Own Words....

Abe Lincoln's Premonition of his own Death

"About ten days ago, I retired very late. I had been up waiting for important dispatches from the front. I could not have been long in bed when I fell into a slumber, for I was weary. I soon began to dream. There seemed to be a death-like stillness about me. Then I heard subdued sobs, as if a number of people were weeping. I thought I left my bed and wandered downstairs. There the silence was broken by the same pitiful sobbing, but the mourners were invisible. I went from room to room; no living person was in sight, but the same mournful sounds of distress met me as I passed along. I saw light in all the rooms; every object was familiar to me; but where were all the people who were grieving as if their hearts would break? I was puzzled and alarmed. What could be the meaning of all this? Determined to find the cause of a state of things so mysterious and so shocking, I kept on until I arrived at the East Room, which I entered. There I met with a sickening surprise. Before me was a catafalque, on which rested a corpse wrapped in funeral vestments. Around it were stationed soldiers who were acting as guards; and there was a throng of people, gazing mournfully upon the corpse, whose face was covered, others weeping pitifully. 'Who is dead in the White House?' I demanded of one of the soldiers, 'The President,' was his answer; 'he was killed by an assassin.' Then came a loud burst of grief from the crowd, which woke me from my dream. I slept no more that night; and although it was only a dream, I have been strangely annoyed by it ever since."

Or maybe they're just there to scare Mr. Bush out of the White House? tongue.gifgrin2.gif

tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gifthumbsup.gif Thats too funny! With the bill he just signed banning "partial bith abortions", I hope they haunt his dreams every night!!! I think metallica says it quite nicely in their song "Eye of the Beholder":

"Independence limited

Freedom of choice

Choice is mad for you my friend

Freedom of speech

Speech is words that they will bend

Freedom with their exception"

Whoops, maybe political statements aren't so good whistling2.gif

Creepy. blink.gif

I wonder, if his premonition had been more specific, warning of his place of assassination, perhaps, would he have listened to the warning?

I went from room to room; no living person was in sight, but the same mournful sounds of distress met me as I passed along. I saw light in all the rooms; every object was familiar to me; but where were all the people who were grieving as if their hearts would break? I was puzzled and alarmed. What could be the meaning of all this? Determined to find the cause of a state of things so mysterious and so shocking, I kept on until I arrived at the East Room, which I entered.

I heard about that before... Thanks for the info! Actually, isn't it strange that the above statement slightly coincides with his supposed "haunting"?

I heard about that before... Thanks for the info! Actually, isn't it strange that the above statement slightly coincides with his supposed "haunting"?

Yes.. I agree...

It's almost like his haunting is what he experienced in his dream.... I hadn't thought of that... thanks for the insight!

maybe because the dream was so distressing to Lincoln, he released a tremendous amount of energy stressing over it, therefore causing that energy to linger in the atmosphere at the white house...