Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

the "MySTerY SpOT "

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1    Abecrombie

Abecrombie

I kid ,... Hey Vincent Price smoke a cigar !

• 2,395 posts

• " Barky Von Snauzer ! ,..Barky Von Snauzer !
    Barky Von ....For ..Me ..To ..PooP ..On ! "

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:28 AM

In California , Sant Cruz , a city by the coast is just about a hour away from cities like Sant Clara , Campbell and Los Gatos. It has been known for a long time of a place in the mountains of Santa Cruz , inside a cave of a mystery spot that when a person stands in a specific location inside this cave , they are weightless like in space.

cool huh ? thumbsup.gif

Posted ImageZombiedog

#2    Shaftsbury

Shaftsbury

Transitional Fossil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 04:50 PM

Can you provide a link?

The only thing I can find in California that has anything do do with weightlessness and caves is the Magic Mountain coaster ride.   huh.gif

Edited by Shaftsbury, 31 October 2006 - 04:51 PM.

"He hath need of his wits who wanders wide,
aught simple will serve at home;
but a gazing-stock is the fool who sits
mid the wise, and nothing knows."

from the Elder or Poetic Edda

The Isles of Aledeon - Roleplay World

#3    Homerduff

Homerduff

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 10:59 AM

It reminds me of a picture I have seen sometime, of a man just floating in the air (some sort of tourist guy) above some rocks..

But wouldn't this be more populair if it really would be like this ?

#4    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,338 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 04 November 2006 - 11:55 AM

Have found this link about a sort of gravitational illusion that includes the site mentioned. Doesn't mention anyone floating in the air or weightlessness so I'll keep searching.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#5    donrobison

donrobison

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 12:25 AM

I've been there it sux.  there is no cave. its a shed on a hillside slope.  I think you can already imagine the disorientation experienced inside. Im afraid disorientation is all that you will find there.

#6    Lord Umbarger

Lord Umbarger

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,553 posts

• The propeller isn't there to move the plane through the air. It's there to keep the pilot cool. See how much he sweats when it stops running? (!)

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:31 AM

Wouldn't this be better suited to the urban legends forum? Oh-wel, I'll bite.

its a shed on a hillside slope.

I've seen this place on tv. I've always wanted to go there but havene't yet. There is also a place out there called "The Devils Playground" where the rocks supposedly roll around by themselves.

To most people the sky is the limit, to those who fly, the sky is home.
If you don't have brains, you'd better have money!
The FAAs new motto,  "WE'RE not happy until YOU'RE not happy!"
http://www.facebook.com/ThePIRGpage

#7    Abecrombie

Abecrombie

• 2,395 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:22 AM

here the link, my mistake its in the forest
yes.gif

http://www.mysteryspot.com/

http://www.mysteryspot.com/articles.html

Abecrombie's weightless brain.lol

Edited by Abecrombie, 14 November 2006 - 11:37 AM.

Posted ImageZombiedog

#8    Mike Mitrosky

Mike Mitrosky

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 12:38 PM

here the link, my mistake its in the forest
yes.gif

http://www.mysteryspot.com/

http://www.mysteryspot.com/articles.html

Abecrombie's weightless brain.lol

Yeah I ve been there too, Actually there are quite a few gravityt anomalies like this throughout the country.  There's definitely something abnormal going on there.  The cabin on its side, on the side of a hill is definitely there to disorient people but there is still something unexplained there. I got dizzy as soon as passed a certain spot going up the hill. It was definitely worth the $5 or whatever it was for admission.

One of the unexplained phenomena going on there is peoples' height will appear to change based on certain points they walk to, and it happens right in front of your eyes.
You should go there and see for yourself, if youre going to be passing through Santa Cruz

#9    Pax Unum

Pax Unum

< 420 Conspirator >

• 18,738 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

Posted 14 November 2006 - 04:12 PM

I've been to several of these mystery spot/fun houses, and I've visited about 6 gravity roads... they are just fascinating optical illusions  grin2.gif

BTW, this should probably be in urban legends section...

#10    angrycrustacean

angrycrustacean

pǝʇsıʍʇ

• 3,024 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:51 AM

Yeah I ve been there too, Actually there are quite a few gravityt anomalies like this throughout the country.  There's definitely something abnormal going on there.  The cabin on its side, on the side of a hill is definitely there to disorient people but there is still something unexplained there. I got dizzy as soon as passed a certain spot going up the hill. It was definitely worth the $5 or whatever it was for admission.

I've been there as well; I'd have to agree with the earlier poster, it's just built cleverly on a hill. It's not hard to figure out if you closely examine it.

Edited by angrycrustacean, 15 November 2006 - 12:52 AM.

Posted Image

#11    Mike Mitrosky

Mike Mitrosky

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 01:16 AM

I've been there as well; I'd have to agree with the earlier poster, it's just built cleverly on a hill. It's not hard to figure out if you closely examine it.

I examined it pretty closely.  If they were going to fake stuff I dont know how they would fake the pecuilar spiral shape the bark on certain trees around the spot have.. Its odd. And Im not sure how they would be able to change the relative appearance in height between various peoples

#12    Pax Unum

Pax Unum

< 420 Conspirator >

• 18,738 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

Posted 15 November 2006 - 02:19 AM

And Im not sure how they would be able to change the relative appearance in height between various peoples

The Mystery Spot is a gravity hill type of optical illusion. The phenomena that visitors to the attraction may experience result from the effects of forced perspective, optical adaptation, and certain optical illusions in combination with the steep gradient of the site. That is, the situation inside a Mystery Spot is arranged in some way so that the visitors don't feel that the site's gradient is actually steep (the site is actually tilted, that is), despite the fact that it is. Some of the effects are identical to those in an Ames Room.

As visitors travel through the site, they habituate to this gradient. The effects of this adaptation are then exploited, especially within closed structures, so that visitors may feel as though gravity does not operate as it should in the Mystery Spot.

LINK-> Mystery Spot

#13    Abecrombie

Abecrombie

• 2,395 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 06:56 AM

I wanted to correct my first post in this thread, and will re-word my statement.
This mystery spot seems to defy the laws of gravity , not wieghtlessness like in space.
Ive never been there but , Im not a physic major either so naturally defying the laws of gravity to me was weightlessness. simple mistake on my part.

Nevertheless, I dont think this thread should be under Urban Legends since it is a actual place and not a theory that is supposed to be a hearsay story. It is a actual landmark where mysterious things seem to be going on.

Posted ImageZombiedog

#14    Lord Umbarger

Lord Umbarger

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,553 posts

• The propeller isn't there to move the plane through the air. It's there to keep the pilot cool. See how much he sweats when it stops running? (!)

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:56 AM

If they were going to fake stuff I dont know how they would fake the pecuilar spiral shape the bark on certain trees around the spot have

Fake tree bark?

Im not sure how they would be able to change the relative appearance in height between various peoples

Opticle illusion. Ever see that thing with the two lines on a grid and you have to figure out which one is longer then when you measure them they turn out ot be the same length? It's that kind of thing. The way that the floor is shaped and the distance from the viewer gives you the impression that they are shrinking and growing.

To most people the sky is the limit, to those who fly, the sky is home.
If you don't have brains, you'd better have money!
The FAAs new motto,  "WE'RE not happy until YOU'RE not happy!"
http://www.facebook.com/ThePIRGpage

#15    Abecrombie

Abecrombie

• 2,395 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 05:45 AM

Here are some pics from their website

linked-image

linked-image

It looks like a gravity thing to me
Abecrombie thumbsup.gif

Posted ImageZombiedog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users