Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Cloning

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Poll: Is cloning wrong? (44 member(s) have cast votes)

Is cloning wrong?

1. Yes (23 votes [52.27%])

Percentage of vote: 52.27%

2. (8 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

3. No (13 votes [29.55%])

Percentage of vote: 29.55%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1    Battlestar Scralatchtica

Battlestar Scralatchtica

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 195 posts

• So Epic

Posted 08 November 2003 - 05:57 PM

Its wrong!!!  tongue.gif  

FACT: Twilight is for preteens and fat goth chicks that shop at Hot Topic

#2    Mentalcase

Mentalcase

Space Cadet

• 5,369 posts

• Most Thugish Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 08 November 2003 - 05:59 PM

Its wrong!!! tongue.gif

Why do you think it is wrong?  

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/  <~Ancient Aliens DEBUNKED!
I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence ~Richard Feynman http://www.myspace.com/7leafclover

#3    TheLight

TheLight

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 08 November 2003 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (Battlestar Scralatchtica @ Nov 8 2003, 04:57 PM)
Its wrong!!!  tongue.gif

Why would a technology be wrong ? It's just a technology, that's the use we make of a technology that really matters. It's like saying nuclear reactions are wrong, you can produce electricity out of it but also make weapons.
In my opinion every progress in technology is good and most of the time is the use made by the military that is wrong.

TheLight

#4    gonzowalker

gonzowalker

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

• Many things in this life
    Are not what they appear
    Yeah, I look like a hare
    But if you stop and you stare
    I'm related to a deer

Posted 08 November 2003 - 10:05 PM

Cloning isn't just any technology, It's playing with life. I can see it's medical benefits....new body parts, and organs. I just think that creating new life only to give it's organs to the "original" is wrong. That's all I really know about the subject, and there may be other uses for cloning. I guess it would be fitting to bring back a species whose extinction was caused by man.

People are just getting too desperate to live longer. If it comes to using a cloned part so that I can live....forget it thumbdown.gif  

It's hard to kiss the lips at night That chew your *** out all day long. - The Notorious Cherry Bombs

#5    snuffypuffer

snuffypuffer

Dandy Fop

• 11,038 posts

• Let's get happy!

Posted 08 November 2003 - 10:24 PM

I think the idea of cloning humans to serve as organ donors for other humans is very, very wrong.  However, growing a kidney or a liver in a petri dish for someone who desperately needs it is not.  As long as your only growing the specific organ.  Am I making sense here?

Nothing to see here.

#6    gonzowalker

gonzowalker

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

• Many things in this life
    Are not what they appear
    Yeah, I look like a hare
    But if you stop and you stare
    I'm related to a deer

Posted 08 November 2003 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE (snuffypuffer @ Nov 8 2003, 09:24 PM)
As long as your only growing the specific organ.

They can do that?  Maybe Gonzo needs to watch the news more often blink.gif

It's hard to kiss the lips at night That chew your *** out all day long. - The Notorious Cherry Bombs

#7    JustAnIllusion

JustAnIllusion

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 12:08 AM

I think cloning is wrong myself. It would take away all value of human life. Just like there might be a way to decide if your child is a boy or a girl, what color eyes it has, what color hair, and so on. That's just rediculous. When it comes to human life, technology shouldn't get in the way. Except for when it comes to saving someone, but if you are trying to make people immortal - no. Haven't you ever seen the movie "The Sixth Day". Cloning just seems to me to be trouble in the making.  

#8    TheLight

TheLight

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 12:42 AM

I think that most of the people made a mistake, you have to separate a technology and its applications. And what you're all judging are the applications of the technology, not the technology itself.
I mean there are far more reasons to be worried about genetically enhanced crops but people feel less treatened because it modifies plants rather than animals. What a mistake...
Human cloning can be very useful, one could clone body parts only not the full person. Well I'd like to be fully cloned so that my clone can go to work in my place while I keep making music on my computer wink2.gif
It could be also very interesting to genetically alter human beings to increase the brain capability for example, just a shortcut for evolution... And again it would probably be less dangerous that genetically modifying crops and growing them in the open as it is already done nowadays in USA. The problem with plants is that they reproduce by the mean of pollen (dragged by the wind) and can disseminate without control. One application if DNA modified seeds is to make crops that are sterile, e.g. the seeds they produce won't grow. The goal ? To sell them to people of the 3rd world, they can grow them once only but they can't grow it twice and thus get independants and self-sufficient. They have to go back to the big american corporation and buy the seeds again for the next season... Besides any moral aspects (or should I say immoral aspects), the real problem is that these crops pollens might contact non genetically modified crops and induce sterility into them, and that could put the whole earth biosystem at risk.
So people it's about time to wake up and open your eyes !

TheLight

#9    moe eubleck

moe eubleck

No need to thank us

• 7,001 posts

• may the horse of Caligula drop one in your senate building.

Posted 09 November 2003 - 12:51 AM

i think its fine if they clone me. What if i die before my children grow up? I hate to leave my babies alone. I think I have alot to offer them as a father.  ( sounds egotistic I know)

But I can see the arguement. Its one of those issues that are both right and wrong. It all depends on what your take is on other issues. A conspiracy theorist would have every right to fear human cloning as an army of clones made by the GOVERNMENT would be a scary proposition.  a feminist may fear the cloning of women for pleasure drones. . or a prolifer may oppose the use of clones for human experimentation.         wacko.gif      .god i have gotten so off topic. I need to stop watching sci-fi movies.  

Posted Image
Moe's Poetry Corner
Moe's Big Adventure
" Behavior is a function of its consequences, invoked by the antecedant conditions"

#10    snuffypuffer

snuffypuffer

Dandy Fop

• 11,038 posts

• Let's get happy!

Posted 09 November 2003 - 01:23 AM

Well, I don't know for sure if they can clone individual organs yet or not, I'm thinking it's probably a good possibility.  As for genetically modified crops, yeah, there's reason to be concerned, for the reasons the light pointed out, but there are also a lot of good applications they can be put to.  For instance, hardier crops to sell to those very same third world countries, which never seem to be where the best farm land is.  As for sterility, I can't say I've ever heard of that, seeing as how I'm an artist, and only have a broad general view of things, I could be wrong.  As for the technology itself being more important than it's possible applications... why do you think technology exists in the first place?  If we didn't need to find new and more efficient ways to do things, we wouldn't have invented tools and would never have gotten out of the woods.

Nothing to see here.

#11    TheLight

TheLight

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 01:28 AM

You can use a knife as a tool to cut your food but you can also use it to stab someone. That doesn't mean the knife is a bad technology, it just depends on its application. Biology (thus cloning) is the same and in general a technology is used for the worse purpose when it's put in the hands of people starving for power (the army or the big corporations)...
By the way, sterile crops exist as of today and are the main motivation for research, another example of bad technology use by big corporations. The danger is real and is already present as of today.

#12    Anirbas

Anirbas

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

• Put your big girl panties on and DEAL with it!

Posted 09 November 2003 - 03:40 AM

I think it's morally wrong - it's like playing God. It's distusting and appaling. I by far am a meat eater......but I will become a vegetarian before I ever eat cloned meat! I don't even agree with invetrofertilization - they need to leave it alone! I don't have a problem with organ donation provided that the donor can continue to live a normal healhty life without that organ. Nor do I have a problem with someone who wishes to donate his or her organs after they are decesased. Thats taking nature and applying it to nature. Cloning is taking something that is freakish and applying it.

Whatever hits the fan will be distributed evenly!

Lord keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth!!!

My life is 10% what happens to me and 90% what I make of it!

#13    TheLight

TheLight

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 06:08 AM

Strange that people still mix religion and science... Didn't you learn from the past ? In the 16th century people were burn't for saying the earth was round (Copernic) or force to step back (Galileo). I'm just quoting two but there are many more. So saying we're playing God is already thinking along the same lines as 400 years ago. If mankind still exists in 400 years, I wonder what they're going to think of us. Cloning is already everywhere in nature, how do you think cells reproduce themselves ? Cellular division = cloning. So I don't think it's worse than dumping fertilizers and all kind of chemicals to grow plants (since you mention you'd rather be a vegetarian think about that), not to mention all the genetically enhanced crops...

#14    Anirbas

Anirbas

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

• Put your big girl panties on and DEAL with it!

Posted 10 November 2003 - 04:19 AM

Light - did you miss the part where I said I BELIEVE - not what scientists believe or what the general population believes. Thanks for critisizing my religion and beliefs. If it wern't for God your unbeliving rear wouldn't be here and then we wouldn't be having this discussion about how totally unmoral cloning is.

Cellular division is a NATURAL occurance... it is untouched by man.  There is nothing that man does to make cells reproduce.

Genitcally altered food is wrong as well. Fertilizing plants to make sure they have the proper nutrients is not.

Whatever hits the fan will be distributed evenly!

Lord keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth!!!

My life is 10% what happens to me and 90% what I make of it!

#15    CASTOR

CASTOR

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 302 posts

• &quot;If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance.&quot; -George Bernard Shaw

Posted 10 November 2003 - 02:10 PM

[QUOTE]  TheLight:  the real problem is that these crops pollens might contact non genetically modified crops and induce sterility into them, and that could put the whole earth biosystem at risk.
So people it's about time to wake up and open your eyes !

that cant happen, hints sterile plants. they cant produce and fertalize. cant "mate" with other plants.

CASTOR

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
- Galileo Galilei

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users