Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Cloning

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Poll: Is cloning wrong? (44 member(s) have cast votes)

Is cloning wrong?

1. Yes (23 votes [52.27%])

Percentage of vote: 52.27%

2. (8 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

3. No (13 votes [29.55%])

Percentage of vote: 29.55%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46    bathory

bathory

Alien Abducter

• 5,302 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 12:05 PM

happy.gif i say let humanity continue on its rampant course of selfdestruction, life will go on, even if humanity doesn't

#47    kwaherutan

kwaherutan

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 08:38 PM

The "destructive aspects" as you call them I presume include weapons.War kills far fewer people than ever.Such is the advancement of technology

Not long ago, the destructive capacity of an individual was limited to fire, bow and arrow or perhaps, a single shot rifle.  Today, an individual can wield an array of lethal weapons which can mow down hundreds or blow up thousands.  A few individuals can press a button and nuke most of humanity.  In the days to come, well within the limits of our lives, a similar escalation in destructive capacity will occur:  as incomprehensible as nukes were to someone living in the 1800’s - if nothing is done to prevent it.  A single disgruntled individual will be able to take out a nuclear reactor, city, or unleash a virus that could take out billions.  A war won’t be required to incur massive causalities.

There will be good too:  cloned bodies ready to implant our brains into, personal flying machines, clean energy… but it will be impossible to separate the good from the bad (just as today we cannot keep the internet and get rid of nukes).  For more information on the implications of exponential technological growth see:
http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~phoenix/vinge...vinge-sing.html

The problems that arise from over populated areas are disease, famine and crime.

This exemplifies the inherent humanistic bias we propagate: problems are only related to human needs.  What are some other impacts of over-population?  Consider the massive slaughter of sea-life, the deforestation of the majority of Earth’s forests, the transition to agriculture of large areas of Earth’s land mass, or the industrial contamination poisoning the biosphere.  The laws we create, the ‘right and wrong’ we accept, are created in order to serve our own needs.  Who are we to make laws which govern the natural world?    

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for personal freedom.  The problem is every new-born ultimately takes away my personal rights.  1% of the population would leave millions and millions of humans to develop a symbiotic relationship with the natural world and, thus, secure our own long-term future.  Unfortunately, it may already be too late to implement such a program considering the lag time involved…

Lastly, science and technology is altering our evolution – granted it is a slow process.  By removing or changing the pressures of natural selection we are inherently changing the course of our evolution.  Modern transportation assists inter-racial marriages.  Modern medicine allows those who wouldn’t have made it to reproductive age to reproduce.  Modern agriculture gives food to those who would otherwise perish and not reproduce.  These examples are changing the gene-pool of our population.  Who knows, in the future, cloning may halt human evolution altogether. original.gif

#48    moe eubleck

moe eubleck

No need to thank us

• 7,001 posts

• may the horse of Caligula drop one in your senate building.

Posted 23 December 2003 - 08:45 PM

The problem is every new-born ultimately takes away my personal rights

I shall keep your personal rights in mind while I change my newborn's diaper. thumbsup.gif  

Posted Image
Moe's Poetry Corner
Moe's Big Adventure
" Behavior is a function of its consequences, invoked by the antecedant conditions"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users