Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

OK ..LAY IT ON THE LINE

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16    moe eubleck

moe eubleck

No need to thank us

• 7,001 posts

• may the horse of Caligula drop one in your senate building.

Posted 10 November 2003 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE (Nethius @ Nov 10 2003, 06:18 PM)
?  Also, the whole Noah's Ark thing, i don't understand how people can believe that this guy went to every corner of the earth and brought back every type of animal to this boat?!?  Seems a little crazy to me!

In the world, some 900 thousand different kinds of living insects are known. This representation approximates 80 percent of the world's species. noah must have been a very busy man.   tongue.gif  

Posted Image
Moe's Poetry Corner
Moe's Big Adventure
" Behavior is a function of its consequences, invoked by the antecedant conditions"

#17    gollum

gollum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

• CHE GUEVARA
    "La Revolucion De La Gente Cubana"

Posted 10 November 2003 - 08:00 PM

A friend once told me a little story, he was discussing God with a friend at college and he asked her a question.

Do you really think that the God of the Old Testament Would, after all that time, suddenly changes his mind?
If there is a God then do you think that a God of hell,fire and damnation would suddenly think, oh this is'nt working I think i'll send my son down (jesus is god, god is jesus.....eh?) and spread peace around the land, COME ON, God does'nt change his mind, nooooo way!!!

Two hundred pounds? I'm not trying to buy cocaine!

Dougal: Oho, Ted, the Italians know about football, all right. And fashion. God Ted, do you remember that man who was so good at fashion, they had to shoot him?

Come here and play online chess @ Gameknot!

#18    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

• Everyone likes a smouldering and sexy glare from a diminutive scientist.

Posted 10 November 2003 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE (Nethius @ Nov 10 2003, 06:18 PM)
Also, the whole Noah's Ark thing, i don't understand how people can believe that this guy went to every corner of the earth and brought back every type of animal to this boat?!?  Seems a little crazy to me!

You might also wonder how two of every animal were able to create the vast variation we see in species today? tongue.gif Haven't these people ever heard of a gene pool...

Posted Image

Apparantly, over on Exchristian.Net, they say that I'm "probably the smartest person" on UM....that is so cool...

#19    TheLight

TheLight

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 09:04 PM

Noah's ark. I read something that might make you rethink it, read below.

Let's go back to the dynosaurs. What is believed to have caused their extinction was a huge meteor that hit the earth ground and created something similar to what we describe as a nuclear winter. In other words small particles of dust are sent high in the atmosphere where it takes them 12 to 18 months to come down because of the physical conditions in the high atmosphere. It's called nuclear winter because it prevents most of the sun light to reach the earth, resulting in steep cooling down.

Now what happends if the meteor hits the ocean instead of the ground ? Water vapor is projected in the high atmosphere instead of dust particles. Vapor has different properties and it takes less time to come back under the form of rain. How much time ? Scientists say it'll take 40 days... and nights.

40 days and nights, does that ring a bell ? That's the duration of the flood described in the bible when Noah's ark was made.

Ok, I think the story of Noah as described in the bible is a bit exagerated (two animals of each species) but I think that the flood might have really happened. And so there could be some truth in Noah's story.

That doesn't mean everything is right about God, but you can still read the bible from an historian point of view to detect geological events of the past. Mostly the explanation of past events were attributed to God because the people of this time didn't know how to explain them by other means.

TheLight

#20    Nethius

Nethius

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 09:21 PM

sure a flood could have happened, and sure a meteor may have caused it, but...

if a meteor was to hit the ocean, wouldnt there be floods almost immediately?  and if it takes 40 days for the vapors to fall, then wouldn't that be the height of the flood, and wouldnt the flood last much much longer then 40 days?

and if that was the case, then it would be a natural occurance, not any kind of a religious one.

i know your not arguing with me, and dont take my reply as the start of one...  just rasing a few questions.

#21    TheLight

TheLight

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 09:32 PM

Nethius,

you're right. A huge tsunami would be generated in the ocean were the meteor would land. So you may or may be not subject to the tsunami depending where on earth you are compared to the point of impact.

I agree that the flood, if it took place under these conditions, was a natural event. It was just explained by the mean of the God by the people living in that period of time because they couldn't explain it scientifically.

I'm not taking position on whether or not the flood happened and what caused it. I'm just pointing out a strange coincidence between scientifical data (the time for water to re-enter at sea level) with an ancient event which we don't know if it's real or imaginary. It's just a potential lead of explanation. And generally when it stops raining the flooding goes away progressively so that might be described as the end of the flood.

TheLight

#22    antares

antares

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 295 posts

• Cor Scorpii

Posted 11 November 2003 - 12:19 AM

QUOTE (TheLight @ Nov 10 2003, 02:04 PM)
40 days and nights, does that ring a bell ? That's the duration of the flood described in the bible when Noah's ark was made.

OK, my problem with this theory is that the dinosaurs went extinct some 64-66 million years ago. The first men began to appear 150 000 - 200 000 years ago.  So it was impossible for Noa to be there and witness this global cataclysm...

#23    TheLight

TheLight

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 02:37 AM

Well obviously Noah's story must have happened after the dynosaurs extinction.

I mean I don't know if you misunderstood my post. I was saying the end of the dynosaurs must have been due to a meteor hitting the GROUND. While in the Noah case it could be a meteor in the SEA. These are 2 separate and independant events.

And again I'm not saying that it's the way it happened, I'm just trying to correlate current scientific knowledge with past history/myths.

#24    Kryso

Kryso

Always watching...

• 3,943 posts

• Truth titillates the imagination far less than fiction.

Posted 11 November 2003 - 03:40 AM

Some scientific research has gone into this theory, as to how 2 of every kind of animals could create the vastness of animals on our world today... oh, with some kinds of animals it was 7, not just 2, as the old stories say, the bible states 2 of the unclean, and 7 of the domesticated.
Anyhow… They believe that the variety of animals could have come down to very few species. All according to their kind, as the bible says, (don’t get me wrong, I’m not bible bashing, I was interested in this question myself, and researched it a long time ago, when I was studying in Zoology, and this question was actually asked).
Also they believed he didn’t have to travel far, because all the continents were at that time joined together! The world was basically flat, no huge towering mountains (Ararat was at the time the highest) and vast lakes. The bible states that it had never rained before the flood occurred! That everything was watered by the morning mist. And that the whole world was covered in a watery canopy, which made the planet the same ambient temperature. This was emptied when the flood began, causing God, to have to shift continents, and raise mountains, and create huge lakes to accumulate all the extra water He had unleashed! And… if God had asked for Noah to build this ark (which states took 120 years to accomplish, they apparently lived much longer lives, being closer to perfection), so having 120 years, and Gods guidance, they state anything is possible.

I will try and locate where I found this information, it was provided by some religious organization, to prove Noah’s Ark actually happened. You will have to bare with me, because this was from a long time ago, and you might just have to put up with what I remember, lol. dontgetit.gif

#25    eddie

eddie

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 30 posts

• What's right, Wears well

Posted 11 November 2003 - 06:06 AM

When your life is in crisis, and you search your soul for a solution, pick a UFO and pray to it........

Or try God and see if there is a difference.....

The pain of discipline beats than the pain of regret....

#26    TheLight

TheLight

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 07:23 AM

Either way, praying is useless.  

#27    gonzowalker

gonzowalker

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

• Many things in this life
    Are not what they appear
    Yeah, I look like a hare
    But if you stop and you stare
    I'm related to a deer

Posted 11 November 2003 - 08:22 AM

QUOTE (TheLight @ Nov 11 2003, 06:23 AM)
Either way, praying is useless.

Praying makes some people feel better and gives them hope. Praying may or may not be useless physically, but I think it can have benefits mentally nonetheless.

I'm not religious by any means, but I find myself trying to talk to God from time to time.

It's hard to kiss the lips at night That chew your *** out all day long. - The Notorious Cherry Bombs

#28    FreyKade

FreyKade

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 03:49 PM

many religions ...well known ones and less well known ones have a flood  myth...so which is the right one?

"isn't that intresting Dave, i mean every step you take down that chain, takes you one step further from your imagination"

i said
"you're right! youre a bit of a hippy, but you're right"
- Dave Gorman

"Wanna buy some pegs Dave?"
"I got some pegs belonging to you"
- Papa Lazarou

#29    antares

antares

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 295 posts

• Cor Scorpii

Posted 11 November 2003 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE (skalra63 @ Nov 11 2003, 08:49 AM)
many religions ...well known ones and less well known ones have a flood  myth...so which is the right one?

I don't think there is a wrong religion... As Buddha says: "There are different paths one can take but they all lead to the same place"
As for the flood myth - I think most religious books have it cause probably it really happened.

TheLight: I am sorry, I did not pay attention that you are talking about two different events...

#30    Athlon64

Athlon64

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 12:33 PM

Two of any animal is not enough for the species to survive, so the basic Ark story is (at best) mere symbolism. However, I do think that some type of flood probably occurred, but that it was more of a localised event (maybe the creation of the Black Sea when the Mediterranean came "flooding" over the top of the Bosphorus, or even the Atlantic entering the Mediterranean Basin). This would have happened LONG before Noah and his Ark were supposedly in existence (as estimated from the Bible).

To be honest, I believe that there could be a lot of truth in the Bible, but that it is based on major events that happened over an incomprehensible timespan (to the people of the day). Take Genesis as an example. I certainly don't believe that the Earth was created in six days, but I am prepared to believe that this is a timespan that seemed "comfortable" to those people who existed a couple of thousand years ago. Let's face it, they were probably not able to comprehend (or even accept) timescales of billions of years.

You can't equate someone's spiritual faith and beliefs with the mundane, highly speculative opinions and thoughts of those who argue for the 'reality' of aliens, there's just no comparison.

What a remarkable statement. I see no difference between the two belief systems whatsoever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users