Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

"the bloop"

• Please log in to reply
298 replies to this topic

#286    Matt121

Matt121

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:36 AM

View PostBorisIWantToKnow, on 27 March 2012 - 10:17 PM, said:

This was not the only unexplained sound heard..

http://io9.com/58836...e-pacific-ocean

There's also Upsweep, Slow Down and others :) Although the "bloop" is the only one thought to be animal origin

there is the echo location that was recorded in Lake Champlain as well and it is thought to be of animal origin.

you can read about it here

http://animalvoice.c...kechamplain.htm

#287    Roninvamp

Roninvamp

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

View Postorangepeaceful79, on 08 April 2012 - 11:17 PM, said:

Yes, and because it is unknown - lets pretend its the most ridiculous, fantastic, absurd explanation possible.  its a giant Sea Monster!  I wonder when humans will evolve out of gullibility.  It seems that its a genetic trait that should have killed some of us off by now.  

Only under the umbrella of the paranormal is something's status as "unknown" actually evidence that it is an undiscovered creature.  sheesh.  :rolleyes:

Ridiculous and absurd, yet the idea of a Jewish zombie who was his own father, could walk on water, heal just by touching ppl, etc is completely plausible in today's world but the idea of any other monster/god existing is unacceptable, smells like a double standard

#288    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

Wasn't that long ago we thought the depths of the ocean would be completely lifeless.  Then we found the volcanic vents were life thrives.  My only question is size however, we haven't found anything any significant size, yet.

Posted Image

#289    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

View PostRoninvamp, on 09 April 2012 - 02:32 PM, said:

Ridiculous and absurd, yet the idea of a Jewish zombie who was his own father, could walk on water, heal just by touching ppl, etc is completely plausible in today's world but the idea of any other monster/god existing is unacceptable, smells like a double standard
Not sure exactly where your logic is going - seems circular.  So if you believe in sea monsters then the mythology of Jesus must also be true right? If A then B, then therefore if B then A right? At any rate I'm not a proponent of Christianity, so again - not sure where you were going with this.  

My point is that cryptozoology's insistence on usuing imagination and fantasy in leiu of actual evidence will always do nothing but degrade its credibility.

#290    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,108 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 08 April 2012 - 06:21 PM, said:

So when you take into account the vast size of oceans and the fact that the vast majority of ocean species are completely unknown to us then it's highly plausible that there are creatures lurking in the depths of our oceans that are bigger than blue whales.

It's possible, but why "highly plausible"??

Edited by Abramelin, 09 April 2012 - 05:20 PM.

#291    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,114 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:53 PM

View PostBorisIWantToKnow, on 27 March 2012 - 10:17 PM, said:

This was not the only unexplained sound heard..

http://io9.com/58836...e-pacific-ocean

There's also Upsweep, Slow Down and others :) Although the "bloop" is the only one thought to be animal origin

It is not thought to be of animal origin by the people who found it and analyse the Oceans still, only by some conspiracy theorists.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#292    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,114 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:54 PM

View PostRoninvamp, on 09 April 2012 - 02:32 PM, said:

Really? What about someone who joins a forum to rant about religion in a cryptozoology thread? That too seems somewhat ridiculous and absurd.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#293    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,114 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:55 PM

View Postskookum, on 09 April 2012 - 02:52 PM, said:

Wasn't that long ago we thought the depths of the ocean would be completely lifeless.  Then we found the volcanic vents were life thrives.  My only question is size however, we haven't found anything any significant size, yet.

I think the main thing is that nothing has been found at that depth that could possibly sustain an animal of significant proportion.

Edited by psyche101, 09 April 2012 - 10:56 PM.

#294    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:57 PM

orangepeaceful79, on 08 April 2012 - 11:17 PM, said:

Yes, and because it is unknown - lets pretend its the most ridiculous, fantastic, absurd explanation possible. its a giant Sea Monster! I wonder when humans will evolve out of gullibility. It seems that its a genetic trait that should have killed some of us off by now.

Maybe you should tell all those scientists who believe that only a tiny fraction of all the creatures in our oceans have so far been discovered.  Experts say that there are probably 2 million different species living in our oceans, but only 230,000 of them - just over an eighth - are known to science, which means that seven-eighths of all the creatures that live in the ocean have not even been discovered.  So those scientists must be wrong because you obviously know something that they don't.

In my view, what is absurd is anybody stating with any certainty that there are no large undiscovered sea creatures.

Also, what do you mean by "giant sea monster"?  Surely giant sea monsters have already been discovered.  We call them whales and sharks.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 10 April 2012 - 01:25 PM.

#295    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

View Postpsyche101, on 09 April 2012 - 10:55 PM, said:

I think the main thing is that nothing has been found at that depth that could possibly sustain an animal of significant proportion.

The water where the Bloop was discovered is about 15,000 feet deep.

Sperm whales can dive to about that depth.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 10 April 2012 - 01:24 PM.

#296    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 10 April 2012 - 12:57 PM, said:

Maybe you should tell all those scientists who believe that only a tiny fraction of all the creatures in our oceans have so far been discovered.  Experts say that there are probably 2 million different species living in our oceans, but only 230,000 of them - just over an eighth - are known to science, which means that seven-eighths of all the creatures that live in the ocean have not even been discovered.  So those scientists must be wrong because you obviously know something that they don't.

In my view, what is absurd is anybody stating with any certainty that there are no large undiscovered sea creatures.

Also, what do you mean by "giant sea monster"?  Surely giant sea monsters have already been discovered.  We call them whales and sharks.
Look, I'm not saying that there isn't a lot we haven't explored, and that there aren't undiscovered creatures.  There would simply have to be - the oceans are enormous.  Where I take issue is when people use that LACK of information (because empirically that is what it is - a deficit of knowledge) as evidence that cryptid megafauna exist.  Imagining that there are unknown creatures is wonderful - its fun to do, and I do it sometimes too.  My favorite childhood book was McEllgot's Pool by Dr. Seuss for this very reason.  But it is fallacious and foolhardy to use "the unknown" as empirical evidence for its own exisitence, which happens often in Cryptozoology and Paranormal studies as well.  

When I talk about "giant sea monsters" I'm referring to posts in this very thread advocating the exisitence of Kthulu, C. Megalodon, etc.  Creatures that there either has been no evidence for their existence at all (Kthulu) or creatures that there is no evidence to support their status as anything other than an extinct species (C. Megalodon).

#297    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

View Postorangepeaceful79, on 10 April 2012 - 01:47 PM, said:

Look, I'm not saying that there isn't a lot we haven't explored, and that there aren't undiscovered creatures.  There would simply have to be - the oceans are enormous.  Where I take issue is when people use that LACK of information (because empirically that is what it is - a deficit of knowledge) as evidence that cryptid megafauna exist.  Imagining that there are unknown creatures is wonderful - its fun to do, and I do it sometimes too.  My favorite childhood book was McEllgot's Pool by Dr. Seuss for this very reason.  But it is fallacious and foolhardy to use "the unknown" as empirical evidence for its own exisitence, which happens often in Cryptozoology and Paranormal studies as well.  

We don't IMAGINE that unknown creatures exist.  We KNOW that unknown creatures exist.  Only a tiny proportion of all the planet's species are known to science.  It is estimated that there are around 9 million species on Earth, and 90% of them have yet to even be discovered.

There are almost certainly creatures of which we can't even imagine living in our oceans.

When I talk about "giant sea monsters" I'm referring to posts in this very thread advocating the exisitence of Kthulu, C. Megalodon, etc.  Creatures that there either has been no evidence for their existence at all (Kthulu) or creatures that there is no evidence to support their status as anything other than an extinct species (C. Megalodon).

If an unknown species - one of the 90% of the Earth's total species which have yet to be discovered - caused The Bloop then it is impossible to say what it is as it isn't, yet, known to science, so speculation is all we have.

And don't forget that the coelacanth was assumed to have been extinct since the Late Cretaceous Period until a living specimen was found in the Indian Ocean in the 1930s.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 10 April 2012 - 02:20 PM.

#298    grendals_bane

grendals_bane

Master Procrastinator

• 1,058 posts

• I have a great mind to believe in Christianity for the mere pleasure of fancying I may be damned. - Byron

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 10 April 2012 - 02:18 PM, said:

We don't IMAGINE that unknown creatures exist.  We KNOW that unknown creatures exist.  Only a tiny proportion of all the planet's species are known to science.  It is estimated that there are around 9 million species on Earth, and 90% of them have yet to even be discovered.

There are almost certainly creatures of which we can't even imagine living in our oceans.

Although the majority of species yet to be discovered will be variations of currently known species and likely to not be unimaginable to exist.

Not that this should take anything away from the discovery of new species, just don't expect any 200ft serpents or Plesiosaurs.

"There is no such thing as good and evil, just various shades of grey."

#299    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 10 April 2012 - 02:18 PM, said:

We don't IMAGINE that unknown creatures exist.  We KNOW that unknown creatures exist.  Only a tiny proportion of all the planet's species are known to science.  It is estimated that there are around 9 million species on Earth and 90% of them have yet to even be discovered.

If an unknown species - one of the 90% of the Earth's total species which have yet to be discovered - caused The Bloop then it is impossible to say what it is as it isn't, yet, known to science, so speculation is all we have.

And don't forget that the coelacanth was assumed to have been extinct since the Late Cretaceous Period until a living specimen was found in the Indian Ocean in the 1930s.
I'm glad you agree.  And I invite you to speculate in one hand and defecate in the other - report back and tell me which fills up faster.  All the cryptid speculation in the world is worth nothing until empirical evidence is produced.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users