Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

"the bloop"

• Please log in to reply
298 replies to this topic

#46    makaya325

makaya325

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,716 posts

• uncle phil: geoffrey, fetch me my tools

geoffrey: you mean your knife and fork, sir?

Posted 07 November 2006 - 06:56 PM

i think bloop is the sound of an undiscovered whale. idk if its bigger than a blue whale, but my guess its probably 45-50 foot.

#47    The Carnivore

The Carnivore

Therapsid

• 2,875 posts

• Once known as Sadistic Jellyfish of Doom.

Posted 07 November 2006 - 07:20 PM

umm... you people do know that blue whales are bigger than megalodons ever were???

yes.gif
There was never a shark larger than a Blue Whale. There was a dinosaur longer than one though, but I don't think dinosaurs could breathe underwater.  rolleyes.gif

Edited by sadistic jellyfish of doom, 07 November 2006 - 07:24 PM.

ಠ_ಠ

#48    The Carnivore

The Carnivore

Therapsid

• 2,875 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 07:23 PM

Could be in response to this movie - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTKzrVv7I_o. Personally looks more like a GL shark to me.

Yeah, that's a greenland shark, though it is a fairly large one from what I can see.

Edited by sadistic jellyfish of doom, 07 November 2006 - 07:23 PM.

ಠ_ಠ

#49    SwampGator

SwampGator

Skeptical Skeptic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

• It seems common sense is not that common.

Posted 07 November 2006 - 07:33 PM

An undiscovered whale?
Surely you realize that whales are mammals and must surface for air.
hmm.gif

"The ones who look so far outside the box they lose the box completely = Blind Believer"   Chaoszerg

#50    The Carnivore

The Carnivore

Therapsid

• 2,875 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 07:45 PM

An undiscovered whale?
Surely you realize that whales are mammals and must surface for air.
hmm.gif

And a whale that big would have been bound to be seen by now.

ಠ_ಠ

#51    snuffypuffer

snuffypuffer

Dandy Fop

• 11,038 posts

• Let's get happy!

Posted 07 November 2006 - 07:53 PM

Was that the bait box video we've all been looking for?

Nothing to see here.

#52    sergestorms

sergestorms

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 08:01 PM

apparently they picked up a sound that was made by something bigger than a blue whale.  ohmy.gif

It sounds to me like a large bubble of gas being released, possibly due to an underwater volcanic eruption, or seismological event......did anyone cross check to see if something like that occurred at/previously to the recording?  I know it was sped up but if you had a large amount of gas being released form the ocean floor, wouldnt the amount of water it has to move through change/slow down its resonance?

Edited by sergestorms, 07 November 2006 - 08:02 PM.

The blade of love, Ne’er dulled by time,
Wounds deepest when wielded unawares
Mortally have I been stabbed!!
Weep not for me!!

#53    The Carnivore

The Carnivore

Therapsid

• 2,875 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 08:07 PM

It sounds to me like a large bubble of gas being release

Bubble of gas?  devil.gif
IPB Image\

Edited by sadistic jellyfish of doom, 08 November 2006 - 06:18 PM.

ಠ_ಠ

#54    ~Onyx~

~Onyx~

The Wisest of Asses

• 7,141 posts

• They gave me life, I gave 'em hell.

Posted 07 November 2006 - 09:38 PM

apparently they picked up a sound that was made by something bigger than a blue whale.  ohmy.gif
It sounds to me like a large bubble of gas being released, possibly due to an underwater volcanic eruption, or seismological event......did anyone cross check to see if something like that occurred at/previously to the recording?  I know it was sped up but if you had a large amount of gas being released form the ocean floor, wouldnt the amount of water it has to move through change/slow down its resonance?

From what I read, the "experts" in question came to the conclusion that:

The sound shares many characteristics with those emanated from biological creatures, in fact it fits those parameters so closely that a large number of researchers are convinced that its origin is animal. But in order for an aquatic animal to emit a sound that can travel over 3,000 miles though Earth's noisy oceans, scientists say that it would need an incredibly large noise-making apparatus, one much bigger than that of the blue whale.

Now granted, before I read that, I thought the same thing....gas being released from the sea floor or some sort of seismic event....but then I read how it must have eminated from a "biological" of emmense size. Now, my "logic-meter" tells me that something that would create a "bloop" sound of that nature would have to be releasing air or gas to make a sound such as that...and we know that is wasn't "whale-song" of any sort that has been previously identified. If a sound like that could only be made(from what we know and understand) from air or gas ESCAPING from an object....wouldn't that narrow-down that number of species that the "bloop" could have eminated from?....................mammals in particular?

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit the views. Which can be unconfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."

#55    makaya325

makaya325

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,716 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:05 PM

or it could be dr.zoidberg from futurama. laugh.gif  whenever he squirtd ink, he makees a sound similiar to bloop

#56    Chase Ross

Chase Ross

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:06 PM

or it could be dr.zoidberg from futurama. laugh.gif  whenever he squirtd ink, he makees a sound similiar to bloop
Lol, "Hi, I'm Zoidberg!"

#57    makaya325

makaya325

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,716 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:08 PM

Lol, "Hi, I'm Zoidberg!"

well idk if hes a good doctor, but wow can he make weird noises

#58    IoftheBeholder

IoftheBeholder

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 21 posts

• Quiet Chaos

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:07 PM

yes ive heard and read this story quite some time ago..facsinating to me really..ive always had a love for the oceans and aquatic life and all of the mysteries we still do not even know reside in the depths of 70% of our earth. i remember reading somethig about how the sound was recorded on bouys(sp) set to record tidal movements and whale sounds and such..and that the sound resinated between two of the bouys that were like 5000 miles apart..anything that can project a sound that far has to be enormous in its shear size..and that the "bloop" was recorded at a biological reverberation frequency..meaning, that only an organic mass could create the fequency of the sound..something klike that..ive always hoped they would discover something about this more...some great leviathin residing under the waves somewhere in the ocean?...not a far stretch at all. imo...i will have to do some research..i didnt know that japanese researchers did any investigations of the trench..but i wouldnt be surprised if they did find something..i just finished watching a japanese oceanographer get the first pics of a giant squid ever recorded, not too long ago... yes.gif

Posted Image
Absence of evidence, is not evidence of absence.
In Illinois?..interested in the paranormal?..have a story to tell? The Grigorigroup

#59    ~Onyx~

~Onyx~

The Wisest of Asses

• 7,141 posts

• They gave me life, I gave 'em hell.

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:44 PM

yes ive heard and read this story quite some time ago..facsinating to me really..ive always had a love for the oceans and aquatic life and all of the mysteries we still do not even know reside in the depths of 70% of our earth. i remember reading somethig about how the sound was recorded on bouys(sp) set to record tidal movements and whale sounds and such..and that the sound resinated between two of the bouys that were like 5000 miles apart..anything that can project a sound that far has to be enormous in its shear size..and that the "bloop" was recorded at a biological reverberation frequency..meaning, that only an organic mass could create the fequency of the sound..something klike that..ive always hoped they would discover something about this more...some great leviathin residing under the waves somewhere in the ocean?...not a far stretch at all. imo...i will have to do some research..i didnt know that japanese researchers did any investigations of the trench..but i wouldnt be surprised if they did find something..i just finished watching a japanese oceanographer get the first pics of a giant squid ever recorded, not too long ago... yes.gif

I would love for something of such size to exist...but given the depth, and the fact that the deeper you go the smaller the organism(yes, giant squid, we have evidence of it's existence), I am aloof to say that there is a "leviathan" living and thriving in the deep, deep oceans......I HOPE there is....I would be FIRST in line to see it....but all of the signs discourage the likelihood(IMHO).

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit the views. Which can be unconfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."

#60    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

• ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 08 November 2006 - 05:16 PM

I just can't even be bothered to listen to the thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users