Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Immortals

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#16    Col. Kurtz

Col. Kurtz

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

• God told me to skin you alive.

Posted 18 November 2006 - 11:19 AM

Nobody is immortal,,we all die sooner or later. original.gif

Hey Joe ,,where you goin with that gun in your hand??

#17    Araezel

Araezel

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 119 posts

• "Reality is not only stranger than we suppose but stranger than we can suppose."
    - J. B. S. Haldane

Posted 18 November 2006 - 12:58 PM

Yes, hence I put, "Immortal." The physical body doesn't last forever, it just seems that way because it can last for quite awhile, but it isn't forever. Though, it depends on how a person defines, "Immortality," as there are quite a few definitions depending on the religion, or belief.

"Do you remember how electrical currents and "unseen waves" were laughed at? The knowledge about man is still in its infancy."- Albert Einstein

#18    Heru

Heru

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 01:59 PM

Yes, hence I put, "Immortal." The physical body doesn't last forever, it just seems that way because it can last for quite awhile, but it isn't forever. Though, it depends on how a person defines, "Immortality," as there are quite a few definitions depending on the religion, or belief.

Do you just believe in anything?

Since were talking about immortal beings who guide humanitys evolution.
The Book of the Law(Liber AL vel Legis) Was crowley insane or Hoor-Paar-Kraat the real deal?

I never liked crowley so i say insane

Edited by Heru, 18 November 2006 - 02:00 PM.

#19    Araezel

Araezel

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 119 posts

• "Reality is not only stranger than we suppose but stranger than we can suppose."
    - J. B. S. Haldane

Posted 18 November 2006 - 02:03 PM

I don't know, you tell me. I'm not here to define everyone's beliefs.

"Do you remember how electrical currents and "unseen waves" were laughed at? The knowledge about man is still in its infancy."- Albert Einstein

#20    Chris.B

Chris.B

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 06:51 PM

Nobody is immortal,,we all die sooner or later. original.gif

Everything is immortal. We all exist through the endless boundaries of time.

#21    The Skeptic Eric Raven

The Skeptic Eric Raven

Master Blaster

• 11,065 posts

• One day love will find me.....

Posted 18 November 2006 - 08:30 PM

Everything is immortal. We all exist through the endless boundaries of time.

Says you. no.gif

........the sleeper has awoken!
Sometimes we need a kick in the butt to wake us up. Well, I'm up now!Boo ya.

...there are many things in life that will capture your eye, but very few will capture your heart. These are the ones to pursue. These are the ones worth keeping..."

#22    Jjbreen

Jjbreen

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 3,868 posts

• Time is the teller of all tales great and small.

Posted 19 November 2006 - 08:20 PM

Though, it depends on how a person defines, "Immortality," as there are quite a few definitions depending on the religion, or belief.

And when symantics gets to the point that we can have word mean anything that we wish.
Then what?

Actually "Immortal" means just that - does not die.

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/immortal
Main Entry: 1im·mor·tal
Pronunciation: (")i-'mor-t&l
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin immortalis, from in- + mortalis mortal
1 : exempt from death <the immortal gods>
2 : exempt from oblivion : IMPERISHABLE <immortal fame>
3 : connected with or relating to immortality
4 : able or tending to divide indefinitely <immortal cell lines produced in culture>

Now if we are talking 'time', we would have to use examples:

He has the lifespan of a Cedar Tree.
He has the lifespan of 1,000,000 full moons
He has the lifespan of 4 full revolutions of Haley's Comet
He has the lifespan of "Noah", "Adam".

This give the idea of LONG LIFE but not "imortality". Just a really long life, but an end is 'given'.

ONLY AN EXAMPLE:
People can easily fly like superman anytime they wish and want. They have the power!

Now this seems silly - and yes it is.

Now we all know what "people" means - there is a common accepted understanding as are "easily", "fly, "like", superman","anytime", 'wish', "want", "have" and "power" - but let's say I just decided to change them to "fit" my "belief" - a problem begins to grow. Because I didn't choose and clearify my words carefully.

So what do I now mean by "easily", "fly, "like", superman","anytime", 'wish', "want", "have" and "power"?

Maybe "people" meant - "spirits/soul". Maybe it means their 'thoughts'. You do not know because you have a set understanding of what those words mean. For me to 'change' them because it 'fits my beliefs' to do so - only creates - well guess?

The above phrase then begin a path of misunderstanding. Rightly so. A parth of frustration. Rightly so. All because I didn't choose words carefully - but made them 'more/less' than what is commonly accepted and understood. The path of misunderstanding, serious misunderstanding has started and it's my fault, not the readers. Because I did not choose to be wise and careful in my choice of words.

Jj....

#23    Araezel

Araezel

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 119 posts

- J. B. S. Haldane

Posted 22 November 2006 - 08:24 PM

Well, to various peoples 'Immortality' will mean something else.
Like a memory of someone that continues after the person is long gone,
or the study that someone did that made a difference, etc.
And I had also meant the soul, where some people believe that the soul can live for eternity. There is some who believe that the soul that will move on to another realm of existance or another world once they've reached a certain state of being. I prefer to see and consider what others believe and what their truths are, because they are apart reality.

#24    Jjbreen

Jjbreen

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 08:39 PM

Well, to various peoples 'Immortality' will mean something else.
Like a memory of someone that continues after the person is long gone,
or the study that someone did that made a difference, etc.
And I had also meant the soul, where some people believe that the soul can live for eternity. There is some who believe that the soul that will move on to another realm of existance or another world once they've reached a certain state of being. I prefer to see and consider what others believe and what their truths are, because they are apart reality.

You know, I mean no offence here - but go back to the first post and re-read what the thread starter posted. They were specific as to that focal point of the thread is.

It wasn't "imortal memories" or "souls that moved on to a different dimension" - they were talking about PEOPLE that are supposedly PHYSICALLY ALIVE today that are have lived longer than any of us 2 or 5 times longer.

It really is not all that difficult to read the authors point and move forward. I really do not think we need to get into symanitc word games. Just read the first post - they did quite well explaining their topic.  thumbsup.gif

#25    luminousphoenix

luminousphoenix

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 11:10 PM

The human body isn't intended to live an infinite amount of time.  Imagine if every human being that ever was to be born still lived on this planet.  Talk about overcrowding!   blink.gif

#26    Jjbreen

Jjbreen

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 11:19 PM

The human body isn't intended to live an infinite amount of time.  Imagine if every human being that ever was to be born still lived on this planet.  Talk about overcrowding!   blink.gif

Talk about world hunger! Good grief - and global warming - we would have no choice but to live on the Moon, Teraform Mars and be seriously looking for 'land' else where.

HEY -> this might of forced serious space exploration!!  thumbsup.gif

Jj -

#27    luminousphoenix

luminousphoenix

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 11:26 PM

Talk about world hunger! Good grief - and global warming - we would have no choice but to live on the Moon, Teraform Mars and be seriously looking for 'land' else where.

HEY -> this might of forced serious space exploration!!  thumbsup.gif

Jj -

*sings  Its a smaaaall world aaaafter aaaallll....  Ittts a smaaal worrrld aaafter aaaaallll...  LOL!

#28    Jjbreen

Jjbreen

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 11:32 PM

*sings  Its a smaaaall world aaaafter aaaallll....  Ittts a smaaal worrrld aaafter aaaaallll...  LOL!

thumbsup.gif    wacko.gif    crying.gif

#29    crystal sage

crystal sage

Telekinetic

• 7,369 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:38 PM

thumbsup.gif    wacko.gif    crying.gif

rofl.gif  tongue.gif  cool.gif   LOL...I forgot I started this thread... I came across that 'interesting' site  after trying to explore and interesting poem......can't find it anymore....  sad.gif ...

..Here's another interesting theory....

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/02/13/...ain673726.shtml

"The book is partly a health guide so people can live to benefit from a coming explosion in technology he predicts will make infinite life spans possible.

Kurzweil writes of millions of blood cell-sized robots, which he calls "nanobots," that will keep us forever young by swarming through the body, repairing bones, muscles, arteries and brain cells. Improvements to our genetic coding will be downloaded via the Internet. We won't even need a heart.

The claims are fantastic, but Kurzweil is no crank. He's a recipient of the $500,000 Lemelson-MIT prize, which is billed as a sort of Academy Award for inventors, and he won the 1999 National Medal of Technology Award. He has written on the emergence of intelligent machines in publications ranging from Wired to Time magazine. The Christian Science Monitor has called him a "modern Edison." He was inducted into the Inventors Hall of Fame in 2002. Perhaps the MIT graduate's most famous inventions is the first reading machine for the blind that could read any typeface.

During a recent interview in his company offices, Kurzweil sipped green tea and spoke of humanity's coming immortality as if it's as good as done. He sees human intelligence not only conquering its biological limits, including death, but completely mastering the natural world. "

Edited by crystal sage, 28 November 2006 - 05:39 PM.

#30    crystal sage

crystal sage

Telekinetic

• 7,369 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:41 PM

.. thumbsup.gif  w00t.gif .or.... The famed Immortality Gene!!!!

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn3786

The key gene that keeps embryonic stem cells in a state of youthful immortality has been discovered.

The breakthrough may one day contribute to turning ordinary adult cells into those with the properties of human ESCs. This would end the need to destroy embryos to harvest the cells for new medical treatments.

ESCs are unique as they are "pluripotent" - capable of differentiating into the different cells in the body - and hold great potential for treating damaged or diseased organs. But until now scientists did not know how a stem cell renews itself or develops into an new kind of cell.

The gene found in mouse ESCs and some human equivalents appears to be the "master gene", co-ordinating other genes to allow stem cells to multiply limitlessly while still retaining their ability to differentiate. It has been christened Nanog after the land in Celtic myth called Tir nan Og, whose inhabitants remain forever young.

"Nanog seems to be a master gene that makes ESCs grow in the laboratory," says Ian Chambers, one of the team at the Institute for Stem Cell Research (ISCR), Edinburgh, Scotland. "In effect this makes stem cells immortal."

"This discovery is very exciting," says Austin Smith, who led the ISCR team. "If Nanog has the same effect in humans as we have found in mice, this will be a key step in the developing embryonic stem cells for medical treatments." thumbsup.gif  :

Edited by crystal sage, 28 November 2006 - 05:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users