Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

The Hunt for the Skinwalker

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1    rezna

rezna

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 347 posts

• Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. And that's a place to start. That's where the hope is.

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:52 PM

OMG.

I just read this book.  It's incredible!  I have an all new theory about what's going on with paranormal incidinces.  Everyone, if you are at all into the paranormal, this book is a must read.  You can get it for 6 bucks as an e-book, which is what I did.  Man, I want to read it again!  I just recently started getting back into the paranormal.  I've always been a huge X-files fan, and the X-files is just an entertaining way to see paranormal stuff since there isn't anything good on tv about this stuff anymore.  I miss Sightings, that was a great show.  Anyways, go get this book!  Now!  

I am thoroughly fascinated now with Utah.  I want to go there and look at this farm, just to see it in real life.  I don't care about having any experiences, I just want to look at it so the story itsself has more context.  It's just amazing to hear these stories.  They are profound and happen similarly in other places, too.  I refuse to believe that anything paranormal isn't really happening.  It cannot be a shared delusion through hundreds of thousands of peoples/experiencers.  

We are NOT alone.

Posted Image

#2    Bearly

Bearly

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

• And He who made kittens, put snakes in the grass, He's a lover of Life, but a player of pawns...

Posted 16 November 2006 - 04:11 AM

OMG.

I am thoroughly fascinated now with Utah.  I want to go there and look at this farm, just to see it in real life.  I don't care about having any experiences, I just want to look at it so the story itsself has more context.  It's just amazing to hear these stories.  They are profound and happen similarly in other places, too.  I refuse to believe that anything paranormal isn't really happening.  It cannot be a shared delusion through hundreds of thousands of peoples/experiencers.  

We are NOT alone.

I believe in keeping an open mind, but I wouldn't swallow everything regarding the paranormal that you hear.  A lot of it is true, but there are some crazy ideas out there.  Could you give a brief description of the topics this book covers?  Is it supposed to be factual or fiction?

Edited by Bearly, 16 November 2006 - 04:12 AM.

#3    rezna

rezna

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 347 posts

• Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. And that's a place to start. That's where the hope is.

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:57 PM

I believe in keeping an open mind, but I wouldn't swallow everything regarding the paranormal that you hear.  A lot of it is true, but there are some crazy ideas out there.  Could you give a brief description of the topics this book covers?  Is it supposed to be factual or fiction?

Well, I have an open mind to the paranormal.  I believe that Science is the destroyer of an open mind.  The more we allow formulas and the scientific method to rule our lives, we'll end up like those people in the latest South Park episode saying things like, "Oh my Science, or Science H Science"  Science people are just as zealous as religious people.
Anyways

The book is about a farm in Utah which a family moved to because they wanted to get away from small town gossip.  They lived there for around 6 months to a year before anything started to happen.  They started experiencing very weird phenomena.  The usual stuff though, all in one place.  Orbs, Bigfoot appearances, strange other wordly animals, UFO's, etc.  The owner got fed up with it after 14 of his prized bulls were mutilated.  NIDS, the National Institute for Discovery Science heard about his plight and offered to buy the farm to study it.  This is book is the story of the owner of Skinwalker Ranch and his experiences before the NIDS team came on the property, and then the 10 years of research described by two of the NIDS team scientists.  Keep in mind that these are Physicists, with PHDs out on this ranch trying to get scientifically proven paranormal evidence.  Of course, it didn't really amount to much except this excellent book.  

I do not think that eye witnesses make this stuff up, or that they are hallucinating.  The end of the book explains their hypothesis of what might be going on at the ranch and it's fascinating.  Like I said, I have an all new idea of what paranormal is.  We can't look at anything in this world as black and white, it's either real or its not.  That is simply not true.  What people see is something they see and people like the owners of this ranch had no reason to make any of it up.  They were traumatized by it.  They lost money from it.  THey had to move twice to get away from it.  

It's a wonderful read, and just utterly fascinating.  There are a lot of websites with snipets of the story, which is how I came upon it.  Just do a google for NIDS or Skinwalker Ranch and you'll find all kinds of info about it.

Posted Image

#4    Bearly

Bearly

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

• And He who made kittens, put snakes in the grass, He's a lover of Life, but a player of pawns...

Posted 17 November 2006 - 05:41 AM

Thanks for giving more details.  It sounds more interesting to me now.  I take it now that it is non-fiction, correct me if I'm wrong.  

As a scientist who has had paranormal experiences myself and then tried to get other scientists to believe me, I have to agree that dependence on science can lead to a closed mind and it can be as bad as religion.   Thanks for posting.

#5    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,968 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 03:52 PM

I'm getting it as a gift for Christmas.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#6    rezna

rezna

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 07:06 PM

Thanks for giving more details.  It sounds more interesting to me now.  I take it now that it is non-fiction, correct me if I'm wrong.  

As a scientist who has had paranormal experiences myself and then tried to get other scientists to believe me, I have to agree that dependence on science can lead to a closed mind and it can be as bad as religion.   Thanks for posting.

Your welcome!  And what a refreshing post!  Someone who applauds me for my opinions, yay!  This other message board I was on was horrible.  They would tear me down, anything I would say.  Good to hear from a scientist who has brains (haha!)

Edited by rezna, 17 November 2006 - 07:06 PM.

Posted Image

#7    Bearly

Bearly

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 06:21 PM

Your welcome!  And what a refreshing post!  Someone who applauds me for my opinions, yay!  This other message board I was on was horrible.  They would tear me down, anything I would say.  Good to hear from a scientist who has brains (haha!)

We have people that will challenge you on this board also, but they have a right to their opinion also.  However, a lot of people besides myself have had some kind of paranormal experience and such people are often attracted to this board.  So you will find a higher percentage of people with open minds on this board.  

IMO a truely good scientist tries to consider all possibilities when seeking the truth and this requires an open mind.  Sometimes, some theories can't be tested to everyone's safisfaction, this does not mean that the initial hypothesis is wrong. Unfortunatly, many scientist become biased or only see things through the prism of their field of specialty or there pet theories.   This will even affect their interpretation of the results.  Even so, as previously stated, I do not believe everything, some things sound more plausible than others, but I try to keep an open mind until firmly proven one way or the other.  And sometimes I go out on a limb and believe without proof.  I could make a mistake, but so what, that's not a crime.  I hope you will continue to enjoy this website and have good experiences.  You will learn a lot if you stick around.

#8    boorite

boorite

Tub of Goo

• Closed
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 08:41 AM

This book completely stunned me. It's as if some huge, insane, nonhuman intelligence said "let's dump every crazy paranormal thing in the world into this one family's lap and see what happens." It's not presented as a fictionalization "based on true events." It's supposed to be a sober, straightforward, journalistic account of things that happened to a real family on this particular ranch. It'll change your definition of "weird," that's for sure.

About "science" and what it does to your thinking. Science as a method opens one's mind.

On the other hand, science as an establishment of careerists careering along in their careers can be limiting, I think. For example, there are questions you investigate and questions you simply don't. Not if you want tenure.

And on the third hand is something I'd call scientism. This is a viewpoint that imbues science with all sorts of great properties it doesn't have, like the ability to prove propositions with utter certainty. Often, people who learn a little science are guilty of scientism. They cling to their idea of "science" for pat answers. They are not aware of how much is truly unknown. They tend to dismiss things they can't explain as hallucinations or lies, no matter how implausible that explanation may be.

That ain't science!

Anyway, Hunt for the Skinwalker is indispensible. I hope everyone reads it.

#9    Gatofeo

Gatofeo

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

• "An ugly cat. Vast desert. Smoke and fire. Flying lead makes holes in parchment. The ugly cat is much amused." --- Gatodamus (1503-1566)

Posted 26 November 2006 - 03:51 AM

I live in Utah.
I've heard of this farm.
Here, it's known as something of a local urban legend: most of it is fabricated, and what ain't fabricated is made up!  laugh.gif
Believe if you must but remember that someone had a book to sell. And your $6 ended up in their pocket.
My understanding is that the family has tried, repeatedly, to play down these rumors but folks won't leave them alone.
I have some experience with being the recipient of hoaxes and local legends. Once reported, it's almost impossible to convince people that it's not true.
No, I haven't read the book. I have no desire to.

My god! How that ghost makes me dread
My attempts to sleep at night, in my bed
All that moaning and groaning
Keep me awake until morning
Oh wait --- it's that couple next door, newly wed!

--- Copyright 2006 by Gatofeo

I support Rehabilitation through Reincarnation!

#10    boorite

boorite

Tub of Goo

• Closed
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 12:49 AM

For the events in the book to be fabricated, everyone involved, including the authors and their investigative team, would have to conspire in making up the biggest, craziest lie you ever heard and sticking to it all this time. I don't see sufficient reason to come to that conclusion.

The account given in the book cannot be a case of runaway rumors, as the authors had direct access to the experients of these phenomena. Indeed, they worked together closely for an extended period. Some of the events were experienced by the authors themselves and their research team. So a false account couldn't possibly be a result of blowing rumors out of proportion. It would require an airtight conspiracy of big, fat liars.

Gatofeo, you say that your understanding is that the family tried to downplay the events, but folks wouldn't leave them alone. I can agree with this characterization but do not see how it militates against the truth of the account. What exactly do you mean that they have tried to downplay, and how and why? Who hasn't left them alone, and when? How'd you come to this understanding? I am just wondering.

Surely, if rumors about the truth of the reported events can flourish, so can rumors of their falsity. Does anything but rumors suggest that this book represents a conspiracy to defraud the reading public?

#11    uth

uth

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 07:56 PM

For the events in the book to be fabricated, everyone involved, including the authors and their investigative team, would have to conspire in making up the biggest, craziest lie you ever heard and sticking to it all this time. I don't see sufficient reason to come to that conclusion.

The account given in the book cannot be a case of runaway rumors, as the authors had direct access to the experients of these phenomena. Indeed, they worked together closely for an extended period. Some of the events were experienced by the authors themselves and their research team. So a false account couldn't possibly be a result of blowing rumors out of proportion. It would require an airtight conspiracy of big, fat liars.

Gatofeo, you say that your understanding is that the family tried to downplay the events, but folks wouldn't leave them alone. I can agree with this characterization but do not see how it militates against the truth of the account. What exactly do you mean that they have tried to downplay, and how and why? Who hasn't left them alone, and when? How'd you come to this understanding? I am just wondering.

Surely, if rumors about the truth of the reported events can flourish, so can rumors of their falsity. Does anything but rumors suggest that this book represents a conspiracy to defraud the reading public?

I'm reading this book now.   I haven't decided yet if I fully believe it, but it is very interesting.

FWIW though, there is a thread on this very board where people posted their own skinwalker encounters:
http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum...p?showtopic=275

#12    Isis2200

Isis2200

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 12:02 AM

OMG.

I just read this book.  It's incredible!  I have an all new theory about what's going on with paranormal incidinces.  Everyone, if you are at all into the paranormal, this book is a must read.  You can get it for 6 bucks as an e-book, which is what I did.  Man, I want to read it again!  I just recently started getting back into the paranormal.  I've always been a huge X-files fan, and the X-files is just an entertaining way to see paranormal stuff since there isn't anything good on tv about this stuff anymore.  I miss Sightings, that was a great show.  Anyways, go get this book!  Now!  

We are NOT alone.

Hi Rezna,

I read the book about a year ago, and I loved it.   What do you think is the cause of all the anomalous occurrences on the ranch?  military activities or a vortex on the property?

http://ashiana.conforums.com/index.cgi

~ Isis

#13    nativechick1989

nativechick1989

Forum Divinity

• 22,975 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 07:57 AM

I never heard of that .. I'm gonna have to check out the book, I like reading about stuff like that.  Thnx for sharing that info rezna.

#14    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,968 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 03:53 PM

I finally finished Whitley's new one, I'll start this one tonite!

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#15    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,968 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:30 PM

Got thru about 2 chapters last nite. Wow! If the first 2 are any indication, this is gonna be good. Freaky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users