Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

The Hunt for the Skinwalker

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#31    uth

uth

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 05:00 AM

Might be a good read. But remember even the Amityville Horror book was finally exposed as a hoax.

Yeah,  I read this book keeping in mind that it might all be made up,  or the man they call Tom Gorman might be fooling them or exagerating-  he had the most outlandish experiences, even after NIDS bought the ranch.   But as wild as the claims in this book are, they uncovered other cases where identical things were reported.   In the end, the writers admit that they considered hoax, delusions, and other things as explanations and they really don't know what is going on.

In the end though, it makes you rethink some ideas you have of certain paranormal phenomenon--  Are Sasquatch really just undiscovered animals, or something else?   Are UFOs behind cattle mutalation, or is the explanation even more bizarre?  Do UFOs travel from space, or some kind of portal?

#32    boorite

boorite

Tub of Goo

• Closed
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:20 PM

I don't think I can convey in a few sentences just how weird the book is. It's as if someone went around the world filling a bag with every paranormal phenomenon there is, and then they emptied the bag over this unsuspecting family.

I'd say that anyone who doesn't go get this book and read it really isn't much interested in the paranormal. Whether or not it's true, it absolutely sets the standard for outlandishness, and that's significant.

#33    icdedppul

icdedppul

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 04:16 PM

Excellent post, and very intriguing to hear from someone actually at the site.  

In response to the comments about science.  You are taking my words too specifically.  I don't ever say that all science is hogwash.  I definitely think the scientific method is a good one.  BUT, I do not like scientism as was described earlier in this thread.  When people use science as their religion, things get retarded.  And also, science is something we have made up.  All the words, the definitions, its all made up.  We are merely observing a phenomena and giving it a name.  Gravity is a good example.  We have merely observed it.  Reality didn't actually come out and say, "Gravity exists."  We decided that it exists.  I'm amazed that scientific people don't see how our human experiences in society shape what we think is weird and whats not.  It's difficult for me to articulate what I'm trying to explain.  But certain things in our society have already been labelled as "impossible" and those thing will never be accepted by the scientific community as actually worthy of debate.  They used to say string theory was retarded, now they accept it as part of the universe model.  It just takes time for scientists to allow something to be ok.  Its bureaucracy, pure and simple.  No scientist is going to say they are looking for a bigfoot creature, their career would be condemned.  That is why I say its retarded to worship science as if it's the only way to study something.  That is the most close minded avenue in this world.  Obviously more is going on than we can explain and worshipping science is exactly the same as worshipping god.

Rezna, I agree with you completely.  Whatever is out at the Ranch is not going to let scientists study it.  That has been well established.  I belong to the local MUFON group and have met several people that have had experiences out there.  There is alot going on even outside of the Ranch property and north of there.  The entire area extending to the eastern border nearl Vernal is ripe with weird happenings.  My husband was fishing with his BASS club at Dutch John side of Flaming Gorge Reservoir and about 8:00 pm saw several UFO's.  His friends also saw them.  Strange sightings and experiences have been experienced around Dry Fork Canyon just 6 miles northwest of Vernal, UT as well and my group is also going to investigate this area this summer.  

The people I know who have had experiences at the Ranch have had a very difficult time processing what happened to them.  It has upset their entire belief system about life as they knew it and they have suffered physical maladies as well.  Specifically, gastrointestinal cramping, headaches, nightmares when discussed with others on the same trip are all similar to 2 or 3 others having the same nightmares.  Also, for a few days after the visit, some experienced agressive behavior that scared them as it was not their nature to be agressive.  They said they have the feeling that whatever is at the Ranch wants them to bring others there, for what purpose, they don't know.  These people are all middle-aged professionals who are not crackpots in the least.  Some are in the mental health field.  3 of them were hypnotized when they got back to recover possible buried memories of their trip and one drew some fascinating pictures right after hypnosis.  There is one photograph someone took from inside their tent upon hearing something outside trying to pull up their tent stakes. I will locate these again and put a link here for all to view.

It looks like Utah will have an early spring so I'm hoping to get to the Ranch sometime in April or May.  I will keep posting and report anything new I hear or experience.  I have a healthy fear of what's going on there but I am compelled to visit anyway.  Some links are found on www.aliendave.com.  Dave has also been to the Ranch and he has not updated his site in a long time but there are alot of links and information there on the Ranch.

Edited by icdedppul, 18 February 2007 - 04:21 PM.

#34    boorite

boorite

Tub of Goo

• Closed
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 11:55 PM

Thanks, icedppul.

Like I said, a ghost here or a UFO there is one thing, but what's described out at that ranch is a whole new head-changing level of weird. Anyone interested in the paranormal should be hanging on every report coming out of there. I think that it's strong support for John Keel's viewpoint, broadly speaking. I'll be waiting for more reports.

#35    battleangel

battleangel

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 08:49 PM

Hi Icedppul...sorry for the tardy comment.  

The reason why I believe that they went to the wrong tribe for information on the skinwalker aspect of it is because skinwalkers most likely originated with the Navajo.  There are stories in the Navajo lore that directly point to skinwalkers first existing as a means to improve hunting.  If we disregard what they are today and look to the old stories of skinwalkers in Navajo lore, they were clearly an aspect of the hunter-gatherer society.  Ute was also hunter-gatherer but other tribes in this area were not.  They were agrarian.  What a hunting shaman would be doing in an agrarian society is beyond me, lol.   All of the tribes out here have had some cultural mixing to some extent so it shouldn't be surprising that there are Hopi skinwalkers and so on.   You can ask a member from any tribe out here and the one place that they put warnings on is the Navajo reservation itself.  They say "don't drive through it at night" and so on.  There is a reason for this.

Do be careful out there.  Skinwalkers are heavily armed with poisons...aerial ones.

#36    Finsup22

Finsup22

Indecision may or may not be my problem.

• 2,448 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:58 PM

I just finished this last night.  I enjoyed it. I recomend it.

#37    The Skeptic Eric Raven

The Skeptic Eric Raven

Master Blaster

• 11,065 posts

• One day love will find me.....

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:52 PM

Finsup22 on Apr 22 2008, 11:58 AM, said:

One little sentence to necropost a very old thread. Come on.

........the sleeper has awoken!
Sometimes we need a kick in the butt to wake us up. Well, I'm up now!Boo ya.

...there are many things in life that will capture your eye, but very few will capture your heart. These are the ones to pursue. These are the ones worth keeping..."

#38    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,637 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:00 PM

Finsup22 on Apr 22 2008, 04:58 PM, said:

One of the best paranormal books out there.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#39    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,637 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:12 PM

Eric Raven The Skeptic on Apr 22 2008, 06:52 PM, said:

One little sentence to necropost a very old thread. Come on.

Books don't die, dude.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#40    The Skeptic Eric Raven

The Skeptic Eric Raven

Master Blaster

• 11,065 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 03:28 PM

Sweetpumper on Apr 22 2008, 01:12 PM, said:

Books don't die, dude.

Threads do. wink2.gif

...there are many things in life that will capture your eye, but very few will capture your heart. These are the ones to pursue. These are the ones worth keeping..."

#41    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,637 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:19 PM

Not this one, apparently.

#42    Pol_Pot_will_killyou

Pol_Pot_will_killyou

Apparition

• Closed
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:02 PM

Hunt For The Skinwalker should be made into a movie, it's a great read even if it is fake.
I think Sherman/Bigelow Ranch and the surrounding valley is just a test-site for government-sponsored experiments on crowd control and man-made mass hallucinations.
The part with the "Predator camouflaged" thing screaming in the face of the hippie guy was the best.

-Pol

#43    Marcus Aurelius

Marcus Aurelius

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:16 PM

MasterPo on Feb 15 2007, 02:00 AM, said:

Might be a good read. But remember even the Amityville Horror book was finally exposed as a hoax.

That's what I was thinking too. Now I'm not at all slamming your views on this topic, as of the moment I know nothing about it other than what has been posted here. I think its cool you're an X-files fan lol. That was and is my favorite show. I just bought the DVD boxed set not too long ago and have been watching all the episodes again, I don't think anything will ever be able to touch how great that show was....and man, I can't wait for the new movie this summer...........

But the Amityville Horror is a perfect example of how people will deliberately hoax paranormal phenomena to achieve fame or money. People believed the Lutz's when this story broke, and this went on for years, until their lawyer finally admitted they made the whole thing up over a few bottles of wine. Sad but true. That stupid book is still categorized as non-fiction too. Maybe you are on to something here, but watch out, people will invent crazy things just to make a buck.

Posted Image

The Urban Contemplative

http://www.unexplain...log&blogid=2565

#44    Elite

Elite

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

• ''If you cant beat them, arrange to have them beaten'' - Me

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:22 PM

i think that there must have been like some kind of inter-deemensional portal that let all this weird stuff in one place

#45    The Skeptic Eric Raven

The Skeptic Eric Raven

Master Blaster

• 11,065 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:38 PM

Elite on Apr 26 2008, 04:22 PM, said:

i think that there must have been like some kind of inter-deemensional portal that let all this weird stuff in one place

OR someone with a good imagination.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users