Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 3 votes

Visual Reorientation Illusions (VRIs)

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#76    Hugh

Hugh

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

• We are much more than we seem to be. :)

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:11 PM

View PostLcvec, on 11 November 2009 - 09:48 PM, said:

Thanks for that, I'll give it a try once I get the right tools. One thing that would help me do it by myself is to know something: Do you see anything you can't see in your normal view? Or is it just a feeling that you are in a different position but your actual view doesn't change anything. The main problem I think is that I don't know where to look at when trying to do a "conscious" VRI, I usually just focus on something I can see but nothing happens. Any ideas on this?
What you see before and after the flip is exactly the same in every aspect except one - your viewing direction.

With the mirror flip, one can actually go back and forth between the two opposite viewpoints so that you "become" the person in the reflection looking back at your reflection on the "other side".

It's really, really fun, and once you get the hang of it you can hold the new viewpoint and "explore around" the new, rotated view... it's like exploring a "whole new world".

It's like entering a whole new dimension of space around you...

I really wish I could make it happen for you, and anyone else who is interested.

Once you get it you'll be amazed.

It helps to have a large wall mirror and a flat hand-held mirror to use.

(Please do be careful with the mirrors and don't drop or hit them into each other.)

You just have to hold up the mirror at a 90 degree angle to the wall mirror and look at the intersection where your face is, and move it so that your face is equal on both sides...

In behind you'll see in the double reflection the 180 degree rotated around viewpoint of the room you're in.

You can "go into there" with a VRI, and back and forth... lots of fun. :)

#77    Lcvec

Lcvec

Alien Abducter

• Closed
  • 4,551 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:21 PM

View PostHugh, on 11 November 2009 - 10:11 PM, said:

What you see before and after the flip is exactly the same in every aspect except one - your viewing direction.

With the mirror flip, one can actually go back and forth between the two opposite viewpoints so that you "become" the person in the reflection looking back at your reflection on the "other side".

It's really, really fun, and once you get the hang of it you can hold the new viewpoint and "explore around" the new, rotated view... it's like exploring a "whole new world".

It's like entering a whole new dimension of space around you...

I really wish I could make it happen for you, and anyone else who is interested.

Once you get it you'll be amazed.

It helps to have a large wall mirror and a flat hand-held mirror to use.

(Please do be careful with the mirrors and don't drop or hit them into each other.)

You just have to hold up the mirror at a 90 degree angle to the wall mirror and look at the intersection where your face is, and move it so that your face is equal on both sides...

In behind you'll see in the double reflection the 180 degree rotated around viewpoint of the room you're in.

You can "go into there" with a VRI, and back and forth... lots of fun. :)

Now I understand how it works actually...I was trying to see what was in the direction opposite to the one I was facing, which would be the same as "having eyes on the back of your head"  :P I'll see if I can have some peace in order to try it out, as at work I can't and when I get home I'm a bit busy, but thanks a lot for the patience and all the info, one day I'll get it right  :tu:

#78    Hugh

Hugh

Psychic Spy

• 1,946 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:29 PM

View PostLcvec, on 11 November 2009 - 10:21 PM, said:

Now I understand how it works actually...I was trying to see what was in the direction opposite to the one I was facing, which would be the same as "having eyes on the back of your head"  :P I'll see if I can have some peace in order to try it out, as at work I can't and when I get home I'm a bit busy, but thanks a lot for the patience and all the info, one day I'll get it right  :tu:
Great!

Once you get the hang of it, you can try it anywhere you are.

I like to try VRIs wherever I am, another fun place is when you're a passenger in the front seat of a car.

If there is a long straight road in front of you it's easier to do the 180.

All of a sudden, you're travelling in the opposite direction, again, fun to do back and forth. :)

#79    Hugh

Hugh

Psychic Spy

• 1,946 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 12:08 AM

I made an updated sketch of the 180 degree mirror assisted VRI.

You end up in the other viewpoint of the same room.

Posted Image

Have fun with it! :)

#80    Hugh

Hugh

Psychic Spy

• 1,946 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:37 AM

I saw this picture recently and thought I'd add it to this thread (found at the bottom of this post).

It is an ambiguous room with a couple of different possible vertical orientations.

It kind of gives a VRI type of effect, but one doesn't feel everything actually flipping around as with an actual VRI.

What happens is one gets a sense of a wall and floor changing subjective identities.

The wall becomes a floor and vice versa.

This is only half like a VRI though, because the positions of the wall and floor remain the same with the photo staying in the same position.

If one were to actually experience a VRI within this room, the wall and floor would do an instant 90 degree flip during the process, so the wall would end up where the floor was and vice versa.

Up in space, this happens to astronauts all the time, they see someone floating by upside down and then they think all of a sudden that it is themselves that is upside down and they do a 180 degree VRI where the floor and ceiling exchange their subjective identities.

We normally only get turned around with VRIs here on Earth though with flips around the vertical axis, where the walls, or North/South/East/West directions exchange their identities.

North and South exchange identities with a 180 degree VRI and North and East or North and West do so with a 90 degree VRI.

We normally would not get horizontal axis VRIs like with the posted picture with the wall and floor exchanging identities though, because of gravity here on the Earth. :)

Attached Thumbnails

• vri inducing pic 3.gif

Edited by Hugh, 21 January 2010 - 09:39 AM.

#81    mrb

mrb

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:28 PM

Hi Hugh,
I am glad I came upon your posts re: VRI. I have been writing a book on the subject (for too long), but only recently discovered the term VRI. I had called it "directioning" this whole time. I have always had a very hard time explaining it to people, or getting people to care about it. I am glad there are other people out there who do. I think it's an amazing field of inquiry, revealing much about human perception and more.

I started doing experiments in college (1985) where I would project slides of the same building on four different walls (in four directions) to simulate the experience of sensing a space in four different ways. I don't have a physics background, but an art background, however I, too have speculated that some kind of other dimensionality is involved here. At least it is a way to "re-see" a space as if it were completely unfamiliar (as in mirrors, upside down, or when coming back from a very long absence, etc). Art is often defined as a method to see the world differently, so VRI's seemed a very obvious thing to explore.

One interesting thing I've noticed is that very old memories of my childhood are locked in "turned" modes, and were thus protected from later memories which cancel out the spatial memories over time. This means that VRI's can house and protect memories, and be unlocked with a deliberate flip. The house I grew up in was experienced in a 180 degree flipped mode when I was 3 years old. After that it flipped, so all many memories in the earlier mode are retrievable.

I also found that one can divide the relationship between one's body and the world into five general spheres. The three main divisions are the external reality, and the internal reality, and the body. But the external reality is divided into those aspects that one can sense and confirm (by seeing, hearing, etc) and the rest of the world that is not perceptible. The perceptible aspects are used for orientation. Inside the body, mainly in the mind, are models of the perceptible and imperceptible, meaning an inner model of the perceptible outside, and then all the rest that is imagined as real or not, i.e. all mental spaces. Mental mapping comes into play here, in that one's real current location is matched against one's inner model of it. This location is placed on a mental map which is much larger than the immediate location; it's part of the "inner infinite imperceptible". A VRI can be thought of as a mismatch, or turning of these spheres against one another. As one physically turns, the internal and external models and maps have have to be kept in sync, but when they aren't, dislocation and VRI's occur.
In the attachment below, there is the head (meaning the body, the self) inside a room. The room is in a city. Inside the head is a model of the room, and a map of the city. Only the room and a little of the city (out the window) is perceptible. In the second example the mental map is 180 degrees turned, and the room is then perceived as turned. This actually happens to me in my house. As soon as I walk out of the building, the illusion flips and I am back "in sync" with my mental map. In other words, when inside, I perceive north to be south, etc, I visualize "uptown" in the opposite direction.
5SpheresExampleLowRes.jpg

Below is what I think would be a great way to demonstrate the phenomenon in a controlled setting, such as an art space or science hall. It is four identical rooms, each turned 90 degrees to the next. The visitor would enter the first room and experience what I call "imprinting", making the room familiar to him/herself. The second room would then be turned and the visitor would experience a simulated VRI, or an actual one. He/she would exit and by that point the exterior space (the exhibition hall) might be turned as well. It would force the issue, I think, by making the turn physical, and hopefully orientationally as well.
DirectioningRoom3dLowRes.jpg

Any thoughts?
Max in FL

Edited by mrb, 07 January 2011 - 07:38 PM.

#82    Hugh

Hugh

Psychic Spy

• 1,946 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:59 AM

View Postmrb, on 07 January 2011 - 07:28 PM, said:

Any thoughts?
Max in FL
Hi Max and welcome to the forum! :)

It's great to hear of your experiences with the Visual Reorientation Illusion!

Your attempts to explain it are similar to mine, and I like your two pictures that attempt to show it.

The first one of the mental map image being 180 degrees flipped around is very good, yes, I can totally relate to how some places seem flipped around from one's normal orientational bearings.

There is an overall bearing sense we have and an inner one, related to which room we are in, which is fun to experience the VRI with, looking out a window for example, and seeing the sun set in one's "normal" North lol...

The second picture of setting up 4 identical rooms flipped around 90 degrees from each other is one that I had earlier illustrated here:

Posted Image

There are many other threads I have started about VRIs, here are a couple on this forum:

http://www.unexplain...pic=159285&st=0

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=184561

There are tons of links in all these threads to look through and enjoy.

I'm glad you're writing a book about the whole experience, it has always been very fascinating for me. :)

#83    Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen

El Lobo

• 1,990 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:10 PM

That is very cool. However, I think this is one of those things that, because you are able to do it so well, you think that it shouldn't be difficult for others.
Well, there is no way I could begin to perform a "VRI". Whatever chunl of the brain responsible for that ability is missing from my head. But I can picture what you are saying.

Life is too short to waste on responsibilities. :)

#84    Hugh

Hugh

Psychic Spy

• 1,946 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:41 PM

View PostThesantanafan, on 09 January 2011 - 09:10 PM, said:

That is very cool. However, I think this is one of those things that, because you are able to do it so well, you think that it shouldn't be difficult for others.
Well, there is no way I could begin to perform a "VRI". Whatever chunl of the brain responsible for that ability is missing from my head. But I can picture what you are saying.
Hi Thesantanfan.

You may have actually experienced it before but weren't fully aware of exactly what had happened...

Have you ever come up from a subway and started walking down a street thinking that you are going in a certain direction, but then realize that you are actually heading in the opposite direction?

It's very interesting to study the exact process that occurs first in the realization of the difference in bearing sense, then the "flip" that takes place (where the whole world does a 180 turn around), then the feeling that "everything is back to normal" and that you "now know exactly where you are"...

It happens all the time when people say they got "turned around" and "lost".

They see things that are "turned around" from their normal viewpoint, but after a quick VRI takes place, everything looks "normal" again because their bearing sense and normal viewpoint match up.

It's a fascinating thing to experiment with, especially in a movie theater, where with practice, 90 and 180 degree flips become easy.

It's like visiting 4 different theaters while still sitting in the same seat! Cool stuff... :)

The picture that mrb posted of the 4 identical rooms at 90 degrees from each other would be a great exhibit for people to learn what this whole VRI thing is about and how it feels when you go from room to room. The cool thing is though that if you can do VRIs you can go to each of the 4 room positions while being in only one of them. :)

#85    Hugh

Hugh

Psychic Spy

• 1,946 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:29 PM

View Postmrb, on 07 January 2011 - 07:28 PM, said:

Below is what I think would be a great way to demonstrate the phenomenon in a controlled setting, such as an art space or science hall. It is four identical rooms, each turned 90 degrees to the next. The visitor would enter the first room and experience what I call "imprinting", making the room familiar to him/herself. The second room would then be turned and the visitor would experience a simulated VRI, or an actual one. He/she would exit and by that point the exterior space (the exhibition hall) might be turned as well. It would force the issue, I think, by making the turn physical, and hopefully orientationally as well.

Any thoughts?
Max in FL

The more I think about this idea the more I like it Max.

Posted Image

There are extra things that could be done to help the people in the exhibit to experience a VRI.

You could have them imprint their bearing sense in each of the four rooms, and have a big number on the wall of each one, 1 to 4.

Then you could switch the numbers while they are outside of the room, or while their eyes are closed.

You could also have all four rooms on a huge turntable, so that their orientation for each room stays the same relative to each other, but their orientation to the exhibit hall gets rotated around.

You could have one of four different pictures outside the door of each room, which you can have them imprint on initially, then flip them around on them while they are inside each room, so that when they come out they might experience a VRI as well... :)

Charles Oman did studies of VRIs for NASA with a "Tumbling Room".

Here's the outside:

Posted Image

Here's the inside:

Posted Image

What was great about this room is that one could allow people to experience ceiling/floor VRIs!

You might experience a sudden 180 VRI flip so that instead of the room being "upside down" it was "you"!  :rofl:

Normally we only experience VRIs about the vetical axis here on Earth with gravity, so that only North/South/East and West instantly flip their subjective identities, but up in space astronauts experience VRIs about all 3 perceived axes so the perceived Ceiling/Floor/Walls can all suddenly flip their subjective identities!

Fun stuff. :)

Here's a picture showing how astronauts might see a crewmember in an inverted position and suddenly feel "upside down" themselves and experience a 180 degree VRI.

Posted Image

It's all the same phenomenon, whether up in space or on the ground:

Perceived surfaces/directions around us instantly flip their subjective identities either 90 or 180 degrees.

examples of 180 degree VRIs:

"east" becomes "west"
"north becomes "south"
"up" becomes "down" (normally only in zero gravity space)

examples of 90 degree VRIs:

"east" becomes "south"
"west" becomes "north"
"up" becomes "west" (normally only in zero gravity space)

Edited by Hugh, 09 January 2011 - 11:23 PM.

#86    Hugh

Hugh

Psychic Spy

• 1,946 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:52 AM

I inverted the picture and put the two of them together to help envision what the 180 degree "up/down" VRI instant flip would be like:

Posted Image

Posted Image

As one can see, everything stays the same relative to each of the astronauts and the walls, but the "whole universe" has been perceived to have "turned around" relative to the orientation it was before the VRI.

The same thing happens with a VRI here on Earth, except the 180 or 90 degree flip turns the perceived cardinal directions of North/South/East and West.

Edited by Hugh, 10 January 2011 - 02:59 AM.

#87    Hugh

Hugh

Psychic Spy

• 1,946 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:14 PM

There is a RadioLab episode called "You Are Here" available at:

http://www.radiolab....re/#commentform

In this episode, Sharon Roseman talks about how she has experienced her world getting turned around on her.

In the comment list, others share how they've experienced the same thing too:

Andrew:

"I tried thousands of times to explain this to my parents and friends when I was a kid but no one else could understand. I eventually trained myself to control it by visualizing how the world would look if I turned it 90 degrees, and lately it doesn't happen to me unless I "turn it on." This is so incredible."

roy:

"I have a very similar problem and have a better way to explain this shift, 90deg or 180. I would like to draw this but will pen it instead. Suppose I was driving to my home horizontally on this board, from the left side to the right (ie heading east), and my home was on the next right turn, facing east, assuming north is up.
I would normally take a right turn and enter my gate, heading in the westerly direction. Lets suppose this is how my brain had oriented my home position.
Now, lets suppose, I was being driven by someone and I dozed off while heading east , prior to taking the right turn. When the car stopped, all i remember is we went straight, as I was not conscious to the right turn. Now when the car stops in front of my home, my house happens to be facing south as I made no turns. Now everything has shifted by 90 degrees. Similarly , if there were 2 right turns, which i was not conscious off, the shift would be 180 degrees.
In this situation, I have to stop and close my eyes and re-orient my self to the 90deg shift and soon, all falls back into place. If you agree and see what I am getting at and if you experience a similar shift, please let me know.
I can also tell you how I deal with this problem and I am now so good at directions. However, I do get disoriented when malls or other places are not sharp 90 degree bends but tend to branch off at an angel."

badenver:

"Wow - this happened to me only once and at age 18. It was terrifying because it happened with my eyes wide open. Walking down the street with 2 friends right outside my house, I suddenly felt lost and disoreiented although I had a clear sense of where I was, somewhere in my neighbourhood and that I was walking. It was just that the scenery had completely shifted...it was a 180 degree turn, where by I knew I was still walking in the same direction I had been before the shift but the path before me felt like it had moved behind me. But not only that, everything felt inverted too. I was completely turned around and terrified. I actually stopped and tried to explain all this to my 2 friends who were just bewildered. I tried to reason out my bearings trying to pinpoint actual landmarks and where they should be, but where they were now... In addition, I had lost all sense of distance and depth, and as I stood on that path trying to understand what had happened, trying to gauge the distance from me to my house and even which way exactly I should be heading, was it forward or backword?....and still unable to feel certain, I was so terrified that all I could do was sit and cry right there on that path. Eventually, I gave in and allowed my friends to lead me home, I just put one foot in front of the other where ever they led me but without any sense of where I was headed, crying with every step. As soon as I reached the gate to our house, and only when I was close enough to touch the actual gate, did I finally feel a sense of place and depth and prespective. What a terrifying experience.....it was like being in the twilight zone, truly, it was like entering a whole new dimension where everything looks the same but feels different and is in a different place.... in my case the terror was from being completely helpless to anchor the scene before me and to make sense of it all...
I just can't imagine how these folks, Sharon as a liitle child....how tough these experiences must have been, and to endure these episodes repeatedly..."

Mike Specian:

"I was listening to this podcast as I was driving. When Sharon said the world "turns 90 degrees" I almost crashed the car. For the first time in my entire life I had learned of someone who has experiences the same thing as I do!

My experience differs somewhat from Sharon's. First, I don't need to spin around to become disoriented. If I close my eyes (or not, I've gotten better at this) and visualize what the world would look like turned 90 degrees, I can open my eyes and see the difference. This is easier in places where I've spent a lot of time. In new places, I have to concentrate harder to visualize the rotation. Sometimes I actively try to avoid this, as it can lead to confusion and distraction.

The best way I've found to explain it is like this. Picture four streets oriented in a square with four identical houses facing in each of the cardinal directions. All of the surroundings are completely symmetric and identical. My understanding is that under these conditions, almost no one would be able to tell which house is facing in which direction. I can.

Here's another example. I would attend church as a kid. The building was perfect for "turning the world around" because I spent long amounts of time there, and my mind would wander a lot. I began to visualize how the church would appear different to me if I turned it 90 degrees. Eventually, I was able to visualize all four orientations. They each represent distinct places for me. Each was a sub-location buried within the original stationary location. Once an orientation had been visualized, with a slight bit of concentration, I could flip between them. Each felt different to me and caused different emotional reactions. I would notice details in one environment that I wouldn't notice in another.

Despite this, I think that I have a pretty good sense of direction. When I would bike around my home town as a kid and the world flipped on me, I became momentarily disoriented. It was no longer clear which path was the best way home. In those circumstances I could either rotate the world back to its standard configuration or try to map out a "new path" in the other orientation.

This still affects me everyday, but I've gotten so used to it that I'm barely consciously aware of it anymore. I'll sit at my desk, type, the orientation will switch, I won't miss a beat, and I'll return to typing. Sometimes I purposefully change the orientation just to make things more interesting."

Rayna:

"I was amazed to hear about Sharon -- I've experienced something similar to her condition since I was a little girl. Many of my first memories about the house I grew up in seem as if they're experienced from a skewed or rotated angle.

As I got older, I realized that if I concentrated, I could turn the disorientation on and off. I remember lying awake at a friend's sleepover, entertaining myself my switching back and forth between points of view.

It is interesting to hear more about how others experience the VRI flip phenomenon. :)

Edited by Hugh, 25 October 2011 - 03:16 PM.

#88    imagination

imagination

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:00 PM

Hello..

A friend just told me about VRI's.
I had explained my strange world flipping illusion to him a while ago, and he came across it.

Reading your threads relating to VRI'S i clearly am experiencing this, whilst also inducing it at will..

Very interesting; i thought i was crazy while growing up, because noone bloody understood what the hell i would be talking about when trying to explain the flip that i would of just experienced.

I stopped thinking about it for ages, and just accepted it as a pathway that my brain had created when i was about 5 years old spinning on the spot..
As the years went by, i learned to induce it by becoming aware to it.
I told many people, but noone could ever offer me anything valid, till reading about Visual reorientation illusions.

So astronauts felt this in 0 gravity..

hmmmm, my mind has just discovered this new information about this, so gonna do some more research; but nice to see there are others..

#89    imagination

imagination

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:15 AM

Oh my!!!
There are many that can do this!!

This is insane..

There was a time that i could only do it if i shut my eyes first, then opened, which wouldn't always work.
Then i realised that you can flip with your eyes open, but it was difficult making the transition at first.
Once there; it's easy flipping anytime, anywhere now..

I don't think i concentrated too much on the four different view points, as i did with the 2.

90degrees to the right or left was always more significant a shift.

The default setting as Hugh mentioned, i can relate to.

There's always a default that feels comfortable, or sometimes not... hehe.

I'm so excited that i finally found some info and other people that have this.

I have tried experimenting with this everywhere to take it to it's limits..

It's definitely fun.

It's not just a flip in viewpoint though, it feels completely different too.
Very hard to explain....

#90    Hugh

Hugh

Psychic Spy

• 1,946 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:51 AM

Hi imagination, welcome to the forum!

It's so great to find another who has experienced VRIs!

They are fun and enjoyable to control for me too.

I agree about the different feel part... Each viewpoint is like a parallel world isn't it?

Is each memory that you have linked to the viewpoint that you saw it in? It is for me and others that I've talked to that experience this...

I look forward to discussing it more with you.

I'm also over at the Getting Lost Forum, where I've started a Blog about my VRI experiences...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users