Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Megalodon Sightings

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#16    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

View PostRafterman, on 02 April 2012 - 01:00 PM, said:

Did you miss the 67 page thread on old Meg that is usually found on page 1 or 2 of this forum - it's on page 2 now.

Funny how we have extensive information on every other shark species in the world, but yet this giant shark seems to allude the efforts of scientists worldwide.
This was an old thread,it appears to have been whittled down considerably since I posted on it yesterday.
Dunno,with my love of sharks,hate to say it,I rather think about it still being around in the same way someone day dreams about their soulmate or something..
Yeah,im weird....
:-D

Miss me?

#17    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,515 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:43 PM

2 fishermen off the coast of Malta last summer reported a giant shark,which was" bigger than their boat",and that was 35 feet long,and they refused to go back out the next day...I dont think Great Whites grow that big (but I dont know for sure)....

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#18    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,058 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:02 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 02 April 2012 - 10:43 PM, said:

2 fishermen off the coast of Malta last summer reported a giant shark,which was" bigger than their boat",and that was 35 feet long,and they refused to go back out the next day...I dont think Great Whites grow that big (but I dont know for sure)....
That's much bigger than a Great White, but well within the range of Whale Sharks, which are the biggest species of shark, but not as well known or interesting as they aren't ferocious predators, but rather dull filter feeders like baleen whales.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#19    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,515 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:13 PM

View PostArchimedes, on 02 April 2012 - 11:02 PM, said:

That's much bigger than a Great White, but well within the range of Whale Sharks, which are the biggest species of shark, but not as well known or interesting as they aren't ferocious predators, but rather dull filter feeders like baleen whales.
  Yep I know what a whale shark looks like,I've seen many a one while on watch at sea,with a pair of powerfull binocs,and I've seen Great Whites off the South African coast,and even a school of Manta Rays leaping out of the water but I haven't seen a shark of any species bigger than a 35 ft fishing boat....I suppose the fisherman knew the difference too,what ever it was it scared the crap out of them.....

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#20    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,058 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:23 PM

Wikipedia says c. 32ft long is the average adult size for a whale shark and the largest confirmed specimen was 41.5ft long.

So it's not unreasonable to think that fishermen may have reported a shark bigger than a 35ft boat, misestimates of the size notwithstanding.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#21    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:53 AM

Come to mama Mega baby !
:wub:

Miss me?

#22    Andami

Andami

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:13 AM

Well, since you revived this, I'd like to add something.

View PostMothmen, on 23 November 2006 - 08:18 PM, said:

At first I thought it was a whale, but when the great brown tail rose in the ship’s wake as the fish moved ponderously away from the liner, I knew immediately that it was a monstrous shark. The huge round head appeared to be at least 10 to 12 feet across if not more ... It was my belief that this huge, yellowish, barnacled creature must have been at least 40 or 50 feet long. He was not a whale shark: the whale shark has a distinctive white purplish green appearance with large brown spots and much narrower head. So what was he---perhaps a true prehistoric monster of the deep?
Whoever wrote this was mistaken. It was obviously a whale, not a shark.

1) Sharks have vertical tail fins; whales have horizontal. 2) Barnacles cannot attach themselves to shark skin due to the rough denticles that cover the body.

#23    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

View PostAndami, on 03 April 2012 - 05:13 AM, said:

Well, since you revived this, I'd like to add something.

Whoever wrote this was mistaken. It was obviously a whale, not a shark.

1) Sharks have vertical tail fins; whales have horizontal. 2) Barnacles cannot attach themselves to shark skin due to the rough denticles that cover the body.
You know - thats a really good point.  Thanks!

#24    DrJake93

DrJake93

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

View PostAnnointer, on 24 November 2006 - 06:23 AM, said:

I read a story once that matched descriptions of a whale shark except it was eating a whale carcass.
It couldn't have been a whale shark as whale sharks are not necessarily carnivorous.

I read a story once that matched descriptions of a whale shark except it was eating a whale carcass.
It couldn't have been a whale shark as whale sharks are not necessarily carnivorous.

#25    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:31 PM

Apparently,whale sharks are not carnivorous.
Hmmm.....

Miss me?

#26    ThePhantomFlanFlinger

ThePhantomFlanFlinger

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

This shark was a recorded 21ft but i bet most people would say it is much larger...we just are not very good at judging the size of things and the fact its in the water makes it even harder..

Attached Files

Edited by BrianPotter, 03 April 2012 - 07:12 PM.

#27    grendals_bane

grendals_bane

Master Procrastinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

• I have a great mind to believe in Christianity for the mere pleasure of fancying I may be damned. - Byron

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:46 AM

View PostArchimedes, on 02 April 2012 - 11:02 PM, said:

The sighting of a large shark off the coast of Malta is unlikely to be a Whale Shark as they aren't known in the Mediterranean.

The Basking Shark on the other hand is found in the Mediterranean and can reach a maximum size of around 40ft, although most are closer to the 30ft mark.

As to the Great White the largest reliably recorded size is around 20ft, although in recent years they normally don't get much longer than 16 or so feet.

"There is no such thing as good and evil, just various shades of grey."

#28    ThePhantomFlanFlinger

ThePhantomFlanFlinger

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:53 AM

View Postgrendals_bane, on 05 April 2012 - 12:46 AM, said:

The sighting of a large shark off the coast of Malta is unlikely to be a Whale Shark as they aren't known in the Mediterranean.

The Basking Shark on the other hand is found in the Mediterranean and can reach a maximum size of around 40ft, although most are closer to the 30ft mark.

As to the Great White the largest reliably recorded size is around 20ft, although in recent years they normally don't get much longer than 16 or so feet.

Great Whites are occasionally found in the Med and some even think they use it as a breeding ground..if you look on Wiki they have a global range map and the Med is on it...i even think they have had fatalities around Cyprus and Malta that was attributed to a Great White...i do agree though that it was most certainly a Whale Shark....

My link

Edited by BrianPotter, 05 April 2012 - 08:04 AM.

#29    grendals_bane

grendals_bane

Master Procrastinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

• I have a great mind to believe in Christianity for the mere pleasure of fancying I may be damned. - Byron

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:22 AM

View PostBrianPotter, on 05 April 2012 - 07:53 AM, said:

Great Whites are occasionally found in the Med and some even think they use it as a breeding ground..if you look on Wiki they have a global range map and the Med is on it...i even think they have had fatalities around Cyprus and Malta that was attributed to a Great White...i do agree though that it was most certainly a Whale Shark....

My link

I know Great Whites are found in the Med, my point was that Great Whites don't reach the size of the shark sighted off Malta.

As I mentioned in my last post, it most certainly is not a Whale Shark as they are not found in the Mediterranean.

Therefore it was most likely a Basking Shark that was sighted.

My link

Edited by grendals_bane, 06 April 2012 - 09:24 AM.

"There is no such thing as good and evil, just various shades of grey."

#30    ThePhantomFlanFlinger

ThePhantomFlanFlinger

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

View Postgrendals_bane, on 06 April 2012 - 09:22 AM, said:

I know Great Whites are found in the Med, my point was that Great Whites don't reach the size of the shark sighted off Malta.

As I mentioned in my last post, it most certainly is not a Whale Shark as they are not found in the Mediterranean.

Therefore it was most likely a Basking Shark that was sighted.

My link

Do you know..i just read your post again and you are damn right young sir......to be honest i cant even remember writing mine.....:blush: ..sorry about that and i think a trip to an opticians and to try to invent a Breathalyzer machine for the computer that stops you logging on when slightly/extremely tipsy is on the cards for me.....genuinelly sorry...

Edited by BrianPotter, 06 April 2012 - 09:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users