Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Face transplants 'now possible'

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1    pappagooch

pappagooch

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 03:29 PM

Surgeons appear to be gearing up to carry out the world's first face transplant.
British doctors say they have been approached by 10 patients keen to find out more about the procedure.

Surgeons in France and the United States say they are now ready to graft the face of a dead person on to someone who has been facially disfigured.

However, British doctors say they need public support before they will carry out the highly controversial procedure.

Medical advance

The prospect of transplanting a face from a dead person to another living person was first raised by plastic surgeons one year ago.

Speaking at the time, Peter Butler, a plastic surgeon at London's Royal Free Hospital, told a conference that the procedure would be possible within months.

Surgeons now say they have reached the point where they could carry out the operation.

They say improvements in anti-rejection drugs now make it possible.

The technique would involve removing facial muscles and skin from a dead donor and placing them on another person.

Surgeons have acknowledged that such a procedure raises major moral, ethical and psychological issues.

The Royal College of Surgeons of England is expected to publish a report on face transplants next week. Surgeons hope it will help to spark a public debate.

The Royal Free Hospital insisted that its doctors would not carry out the procedure until the issues were debated.

While Peter Butler and his team are confident they have overcome the technical hurdles to this procedure, there are many moral, ethical and psychological issues which need to be debated before anyone has surgery," a spokeswoman said.

"The publication of the Royal College of Surgeons' report on the issue of face transplantation, which is due soon, is the first step in this important process."

Rest of Article

...the truth of things is the chief nutriment of superior intellects.

Leonardo da Vinci

#2    SpaceyKC

SpaceyKC

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

• Thank you TO

Posted 11 November 2003 - 08:07 PM

I immediately thought of the movie, 'Face/Off'.  
     I think it would be beneficial to the patients who are disfigured,  but a strange situation for the families of the donors.

#3    pappagooch

pappagooch

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 09:50 PM

I immediately thought of the movie, 'Face/Off'. I think it would be beneficial to the patients who are disfigured, but a strange situation for the families of the donors.

laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif  I did as well.  Thats a good point btw. But it can be a bad thing as well. Imagine if someone with $$ saw a face they desired, and then hired someone to kidnap that individual to "steal their face". Wouldn't be pretty! Or governmental benifits... hmmm

...the truth of things is the chief nutriment of superior intellects.

Leonardo da Vinci

#4    Xenojjin

Xenojjin

Absurdity

• 2,753 posts

• Life is not meaningful, therefore it is.

Posted 12 November 2003 - 02:13 AM

I personally see this as absolutely disgusting .

Not only is it gross but ones outer appearance should never
mean anything at all . Good looks is nothing more than an illusion
that means nothing , As an advanced race shouldn't we humans be beyond this crap by now ?!?  sad.gif  

In the way, the supernatural is what's behind the curtain. Normally, you only need to see what's happening in stage. That's how reality works. If you don't know then it's for the best. Actually, learning about the supernatural only increases the number of things you don't know.

Posted Image

#5    SpaceyKC

SpaceyKC

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

• Thank you TO

Posted 12 November 2003 - 03:04 PM

I can only think of the person who has a disease that caused their nose to have to be taken off, or a burn victim.  It's not vanity when you want to go out in public and not be stared at because you look so different.

"Science may have found a cure for most evils;  but it has
         found no remedy for the worst of them all --- the apathy of human beings."
                                                     Helen Keller

#6    Nxt2Hvn

Nxt2Hvn

Alien Abducter

• 5,083 posts

• 'For we walk by faith, not by sight.' II Corinthians 5:7

Posted 12 November 2003 - 03:08 PM

I think this could be a good thing.    

I am supposing that the person receiving the "new face" wouldn't necessarilly look like the "donor" because the receiver will still have their own "facial structure" (skeletal structure).  The only difference would be the skin color and tone and any marks like moles or birth marks that are on the "donor" face.  dontgetit.gif
I am guessing anyway!

I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin. ~anonymous~

#7    Kryso

Kryso

Always watching...

• 3,943 posts

• Truth titillates the imagination far less than fiction.

Posted 23 November 2003 - 04:17 AM

Every medical procedure has its good and bad points, especially when a dead person is involved  - you enter a whole new ethic debate. But… it comes down to the individual and whether they have agreed to have this procedure done to them, after they on longer has use for their face (sounds strange!) To simple want to change your face to have a better looking one - in my opinion - is a little freaky! But if you're disfigured by disease or fire, or a birth defect, then that’s up to the person to decide!
Think of it like this… if you have had a disfigured face for the last 10 or 20 years, if not longer, and suddenly medical science comes up with an answer, would you still be saying no?

#8    Benjo Koolzooie

Benjo Koolzooie

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

• Pink is like red but not quite...

Posted 24 November 2003 - 06:40 PM

What is the world coming too..!?

Cherokee Warrior you've lost your battle that's for sure, but what you left behind is still shining.

#9    Melladior

Melladior

Poltergeist

• 2,177 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 08:18 PM

Imagine if someone with $$ saw a face they desired, and then hired someone to kidnap that individual to "steal their face". Wouldn't be pretty! Or governmental benifits... hmmm

Develop that into a screenplay, papa.  I'd watch!

#10    KayEl

KayEl

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 09:27 PM

I have the exact thought about stealing people's faces.
Reminds me of one of Frank Baum's Oz books, where Dorothy met a sorceress who have a whole closet full of heads. When she wants to change her appearance, she simply take old one off and put another one on.

#11    Tess

Tess

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 04 December 2003 - 11:01 PM

I think this would be a good thing for people that have been disfigured,say due to a bad accident,fire,etc.But i also think there had better be strict laws and regulations,otherwise the "rich" will take advantage of it .

#12    VENKMAN

VENKMAN

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 11 posts

• Phil: Well, what if there is no tomorrow? There wasn't one today. (Groundhog Day)

Posted 04 December 2003 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE (Xenojjin @ Nov 12 2003, 01:13 AM)
ones outer appearance should never
mean anything at all

The next time you go out in public and EVERY single person stares at you, let me know.  I'd like to know how you would feel then.

Life's too short to debate everything, therefore I am always right.

#13    babyforrest

babyforrest

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

• We're on a mission from God.

Posted 04 December 2003 - 11:37 PM

I think that it is a great idea for anybody that is disfigured to get the opportunity to look "normal" again.  It is a very bad idea if it is purely out of vanity.

Let's rock this joint!

#14    Benjo Koolzooie

Benjo Koolzooie

Psychic Spy

• 1,619 posts

• Pink is like red but not quite...

Posted 06 December 2003 - 11:52 AM

Who will be willing to switch faces with someone else? Mind you saying that, I guess there would be some people.  

Cherokee Warrior you've lost your battle that's for sure, but what you left behind is still shining.

#15    Engulf

Engulf

Psychic Spy

• 1,436 posts

• "The wise only speaks when it is right, while the fool always speaks as though he is right."

Posted 08 December 2003 - 02:05 PM

w00t.gif MJ would be delighted!! tongue.gif  w00t.gif  

"Remember the truth is not for everyone - most people just do not want to know." --Robert Morningsky

"Since you are like no other being ever created since the beginning of time, you are incomparible." --Brenda Ueland

"Knowledge is strength, ignorance does not grant you any immunity." --Purple Crow

"I do not see any sin in the world, but I see a great deal of ignorance." --George Sand

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users