Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Humpback whales have same brain cells as...

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 27 November 2006 - 08:59 AM

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews....xml&src=rss

Read!  *is to tired to do all that fancy shmancy stuff*

However, I will say this...

There are more then just one intelligent animal on this planet...  it's time we start treating other animals like they were nothing more for our use and abuse.

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#2    Altheia

Altheia

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 12:01 PM

There are more then just one intelligent animal on this planet...  it's time we start treating other animals like they were nothing more for our use and abuse.

which animals should we treat equally then?
believe it or not we are in fact the superior race on this planet.
alternatives are sought to minimilize animaluse/abuse...this takes time if we don't want this to effect us or slow/limit our evolution/way of life.

Don't get me wrong, im not pro animal-abuse. On the contrary.

#3    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,076 posts

• Universe Service Pack 2 still needs patching.

Posted 27 November 2006 - 12:14 PM

That's the problem, though, SC...

Genesis 1:26

"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."

...some people feel that it's their god-given right to do whatever they want with other animal species...

Always comes back to here, doesn't it?

* Sighs *

"What happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object?" - Tiggs vs PA - Did Jesus Really exist? - The Formal Debate:
HERE
Posted Image

#4    mdhmdh

mdhmdh

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 01:20 PM

in my observation i think that dolphins are smarter than us in some was for one they can produce and process sound on a level that we can never hope to acheve

#5    Altheia

Altheia

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 01:27 PM

in my observation i think that dolphins are smarter than us in some was for one they can produce and process sound on a level that we can never hope to acheve

that's like saying we're more intelligent cuz we produce sounds they don't understand.

Dolphins are not that smart is they are hyped to be.
If they would trully be highly intelligent, then why the hell does a goldfish feel the urge faster to escape from it's bowl then a dolphin out a tank? The barriers are low enough for a dolphin to jump over.
Wanting freedom is a sign of intelligence, dolphins do not want this or so it seems. Either they are plotting a major war or they are just ... well, dumb.

#6    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 27 November 2006 - 06:10 PM

Or maybe they feel the need to socialize and communicate with us.

Tell me.. what other animal helps people out in the ocean?  Why do sailors revere them so highly?  Pecause dolphins have been known to come out of their way to keeps humans that have fallen into the waters above the surface and help them to shore.  I don't see other animal doing that.

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#7    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,085 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 07:06 PM

If they would trully be highly intelligent, then why the hell does a goldfish feel the urge faster to escape from it's bowl then a dolphin out a tank? The barriers are low enough for a dolphin to jump over.
Wanting freedom is a sign of intelligence, dolphins do not want this or so it seems.

Dolphins do not want to escape to freedom, so that means they're not intelligent?

That makes no sense at all.

#8    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 28 November 2006 - 12:30 AM

one they can produce and process sound on a level that we can never hope to acheve

That doesn't equate to intelligence. It equates to adaptation to their environment. They evolved that as a tool to locate prey while we evolved a superior "brain power" as our tool.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

#9    zandore

zandore

EX-Christian

• 9,640 posts

• I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.
    Genghis Khan

Posted 28 November 2006 - 02:55 PM

Genesis 1:26

"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."

"Will you teach your children what we have taught our children? That the earth is our mother? What befalls the earth befalls all the sons of the earth. "This we know: the earth does not belong to man, man belongs to the earth. All things are connected like the blood that unites us all. Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself. "One thing we know: our god is also your god. The earth is precious to him and to harm the earth is to heap contempt on its creator.

-Chief Seattle, Dwamish - 1786-1866

...some people feel that it's their god-given right to do whatever they want with other animal species...

"We must protect the forests for our children, grandchildren and children yet to be born. We must protect the forests for those who can't speak for themselves such as the birds, animals, fish and trees."

Qwatsinas (Hereditary Chief Edward Moody), Nuxalk Nation

Rain-in-the-Face - Sioux (???-1905)

Always comes back to here, doesn't it?

* Sighs *
Yes it does......sadly sad.gif

Edited by zandore, 28 November 2006 - 02:56 PM.

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy,
education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary.
Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear
of punishment and hope of reward after death."

Albert Einstein

Survey Says....

#10    Altheia

Altheia

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 12:53 AM

Dolphins do not want to escape to freedom, so that means they're not intelligent?

That makes no sense at all.

i did not write they are not intelligent i wrote : they are not as intelligent as they are hyped to be.

#11    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,085 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 01:20 AM

i did not write they are not intelligent i wrote : they are not as intelligent as they are hyped to be.

Regardless, I just don't see how the desire for freedom can be associated with intelligence in any case.

#12    Altheia

Altheia

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:05 AM

Regardless, I just don't see how the desire for freedom can be associated with intelligence in any case.

you have got to be kidding me..

#13    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,085 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:11 PM

you have got to be kidding me..

No, I'm not.

Which animals, besides humans, make you think it's true?

#14    Ashigaru

Ashigaru

Pretty Princess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 09:29 AM

Well those animals have survived for millions of years so they can't be that stupid.

As for dolphins not wanting to be out in the wild, would you pass up an easy meal?

Hmm, having to hunt for food or having it given to you, what to choose?

Thats a tough one.  rolleyes.gif

Edited by Ashigaru, 03 December 2006 - 09:31 AM.

Posted Image

#15    Altheia

Altheia

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 12:20 PM

Well those animals have survived for millions of years so they can't be that stupid.

As for dolphins not wanting to be out in the wild, would you pass up an easy meal?

Hmm, having to hunt for food or having it given to you, what to choose?

Thats a tough one.  rolleyes.gif

wow, don't you think you're giving them waaay too much credit now??

So according to you dolphins are so smart that they realise leaving the tank for more space equals no easy feeding time. Also they know, according to you, that there is something to hunt. Even if they spent their hole lifetime in a tank with same species. Ok they get fish, but how do they know that fish is something that's in the sea?
And if they're so smart to know that they're passing an easy meal if they go out, then why don't they just go out for a lil while a come back when it's feeding time? They're sooo intelligent right? They won't even try, so tame, so simpleminded.

Edited by Altheia, 15 December 2006 - 12:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users