Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is america the fatest country?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Poll: Is america the fatest country? (24 member(s) have cast votes)

Is america the fatest country?

1. Yes (11 votes [45.83%])

Percentage of vote: 45.83%

2. No (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Don't care (13 votes [54.17%])

Percentage of vote: 54.17%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16    SpaceyKC

SpaceyKC

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

• Thank you TO

Posted 12 November 2003 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE (klamath @ Nov 11 2003, 10:18 PM)
I'm not fat, just pleasantly plump! I'm not short, I'm vertically challenged.

At 5'2", I've always liked the phrase 'vertically challenged', but instead of
    pleasantly plump,  I think 'voluptous' sounds much better.    thumbsup.gif  

"Science may have found a cure for most evils;  but it has
         found no remedy for the worst of them all --- the apathy of human beings."
                                                     Helen Keller

#17    Mentalcase

Mentalcase

Space Cadet

• 5,364 posts

• Most Thugish Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 12 November 2003 - 03:19 PM

I'm most likely the skinniest American alive.  laugh.gif  

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/  <~Ancient Aliens DEBUNKED!
I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence ~Richard Feynman http://www.myspace.com/7leafclover

#18    Nxt2Hvn

Nxt2Hvn

Alien Abducter

• 5,083 posts

• 'For we walk by faith, not by sight.' II Corinthians 5:7

Posted 12 November 2003 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (Mentalcase @ Nov 12 2003, 02:19 PM)
I'm most likely the skinniest American alive.  laugh.gif

Mentalcase... my hubby is running a close second to you then!! LOL

And to answer the question... yes I think Americans as a whole are overweight (notice I didn't say FAT).

And it's no wonder... when you go out to eat.. they give you on an average 3-5 portion sizes instead of one!

You think you are eating healthy.. and you would be if you ate only a quarter of the food that they give you!

I don't blame fast food... I blame the portion sizes.   wink2.gif  

I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin. ~anonymous~

#19    dust19

dust19

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 03:34 PM

i'm 6 foot 1 inch
my fattest was 215, now i'm 188, but weight is a funny thing. at 215 I was flabby, but after I started getting more active and physical, I was very non-flabby at around 200, but now I'm less active again and have lost much of my muscle mass and am flabbyish again but at 188! Weight is a very strange thing to judge on...it doesn't even matter anyway, just be happy and stay around those that make you happy...and if they don't, forget them and find a more supportive crowd.

#20    snuffypuffer

snuffypuffer

Dandy Fop

• 11,038 posts

• Let's get happy!

Posted 12 November 2003 - 04:19 PM

Well, I'm 6'4", and 200 pounds is a distant memory for me.  I'm a biscuit shy of 300, but my doctor said that for my frame, 250 is about where I should be.  I've been trying to eat right, and have cut things like sweets and soda out of my diet, for the last few months.  It's been showing lately too, I can't wear my pants without a belt now.  I'm doing this purely for me, too.  And for a big guy, I have a lot of energy, always have.

Nothing to see here.

#21    Blood Angel

Blood Angel

Poltergeist

• 2,389 posts

• Deus Ex Conspiratio

Posted 12 November 2003 - 04:48 PM

Why is it at school you always had a fat best friend  blink.gif i have stayed the same weight since i was twelve years old and i eat like a horse, its making me broke.

Fight Win Prevail - me
No guts No Glory - me
Cadjole....i like that word, so much more sophisticated than bludgeon.
Vicious says: You are saying impudence to me! That is impudence!!!1

#22    Phantom

Phantom

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts

• Bad Ass Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 12 November 2003 - 04:50 PM

I just wanted to express my gratitude and compliment Battlestar Scralatchtica (can I call you B.S. for short?) with starting this excellent topic. Bravo! Well done!  thumbsup.gif

And here I was thinking you could only post garbage. Well, you certainly proved me wrong... Silly Phantom.  wacko.gif

That's about it...

Edited by Phantom, 12 November 2003 - 04:51 PM.

"Do you hear that, Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability..." - Agent Smith
"Apfelschnaps, it's more than skindeep" - Kismit
"OK, don't quote me anymore..." - Mentalcase

#23    Engulf

Engulf

Psychic Spy

• 1,436 posts

• "The wise only speaks when it is right, while the fool always speaks as though he is right."

Posted 12 November 2003 - 04:57 PM

I'm not American,can I still comment?? tongue.gif

Went for the "don't care" option cause we only have one life,so let's just eat till the Sumo limit hits a bellsound!! devil.gif  devil.gif

(I love both McD and cheese,still I'm only 5'8'' (short) and weigh a massively-thin 60 kg. sad.gif Man is this some kind of Asian thingy or wut?? tongue.gif  laugh.gif )

EDIT:I forgot,I eat quite a 'bundle' too!!And still..... laugh.gif  grin2.gif  original.gif  dontgetit.gif  sad.gif  crying.gif  

Edited by Engulf, 12 November 2003 - 05:03 PM.

"Remember the truth is not for everyone - most people just do not want to know." --Robert Morningsky

"Since you are like no other being ever created since the beginning of time, you are incomparible." --Brenda Ueland

"Knowledge is strength, ignorance does not grant you any immunity." --Purple Crow

"I do not see any sin in the world, but I see a great deal of ignorance." --George Sand

#24    Blood Angel

Blood Angel

Poltergeist

• 2,389 posts

• Deus Ex Conspiratio

Posted 12 November 2003 - 05:02 PM

Engulf - i'm 5' 10" and weigh 6.5 stones, whats 60 kg in stones anyone? i know for a fact i am massively underweight but to look at me in recent photos, you wouldn't think it.

Fight Win Prevail - me
No guts No Glory - me

#25    Engulf

Engulf

Psychic Spy

• 1,436 posts

• "The wise only speaks when it is right, while the fool always speaks as though he is right."

Posted 12 November 2003 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE (Blood Angel @ Nov 12 2003, 04:02 PM)
Engulf - i'm 5' 10" and weigh 6.5 stones, whats 60 kg in stones anyone? i know for a fact i am massively underweight but to look at me in recent photos, you wouldn't think it.

??Stones??Anyone knows what 6.5 stones here in kg?? tongue.gif

{{BA,at least you're 5'10'' you know,5'10'' and it took me like years trying to get to 5'9'' but.....sigh,guess I was a gnome once upon a time in a fairytale story..... tongue.gif  laugh.gif  

"Remember the truth is not for everyone - most people just do not want to know." --Robert Morningsky

"Since you are like no other being ever created since the beginning of time, you are incomparible." --Brenda Ueland

"Knowledge is strength, ignorance does not grant you any immunity." --Purple Crow

"I do not see any sin in the world, but I see a great deal of ignorance." --George Sand

#26    Blood Angel

Blood Angel

Poltergeist

• 2,389 posts

• Deus Ex Conspiratio

Posted 12 November 2003 - 05:30 PM

The rest of my family measure under 5'2" and my brother is only 4'7", and he weighs more than me LOL, i'm the first member of my family to be "average height" My family extends far back most of them jockeys, and all of them were short blink.gif  

Fight Win Prevail - me
No guts No Glory - me

#27    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

• Everyone likes a smouldering and sexy glare from a diminutive scientist.

Posted 12 November 2003 - 06:04 PM

woa, 6.5 stone ohmy.gif dude...you need some complex carbohydrates, you're the same height, and lighter than me huh.gif  

Posted Image

Apparantly, over on Exchristian.Net, they say that I'm "probably the smartest person" on UM....that is so cool...

#28    pappagooch

pappagooch

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 09:51 PM

I saw this yesterday in my daily "CNN AM QuickNews" e-mails and thought it was appropriate for this topic:

"Counting KFCs calories
KFC has a new ad campaign that basically tries to make fried chicken sound like a health food. This has health experts steaming mad, and some are trying to get the ads off the air. CNN medical correspondent Elizabeth Cohen took a closer look at KFCs menu and shared her findings with anchor Bill Hemmer. We put together what would be a typical KFC meal and took a look at how much fat and calories it really has. If you were to get two [original recipe] chicken breasts, that would be 38 grams of fat and 760 calories. The coleslaw is 11 grams of fat, 190 calories. This is per serving for one person. One biscuit is 10 grams of fat, 190 calories, which gets you up to 59 grams of fat for that one meal, [which is] 1,140 calories. Now, take a look at that fat, 59 grams. That is about as much fat as you are supposed to have in an entire day, and you're having it in one meal, and that's why health experts are saying, How in the world can they call this health food?"

I think there are numerous reasons Americans tend to be a bit overweight versus other cultures... The biggie consists of all the conveniences we enjoy in our society such as transportation.  Everyone raises an eyebrow if I mention I'm gonna walk... They're like, "What"? They can't fathom walking somewhere or biking somewhere vs. taking the car to go 3 blocks down the road or even 2 miles down the road.

Next is the TV! The biggest culprit. Man, with all the food commercials that bombard you during shows, sporting events, news, whatever, it's no wonder we are all overweight. Not only are you idle while watching the boob tube, you become hungry with all the subliminal food commercials & eat way more than you should.

Then after your subconscious has been affected by these commercials, you go to a restaurant, Fast Food Joint, where ever, and eat portions made for a giant, not a human!

There are many other reasons but these basicly hit the nail on the head. I can most definitly say that most americans are affected with what I like to call the "Lazy Bug". Too much inactivity due to work related stress & other outside influences.

I can honestly say the above with confidence because I was fat last year. I am 5'10" and I weighed 210-215 lbs due to the lazy bug. I blamed all that on my job because it also entails "entertaining clients"... so with all the stress, travel, wonderful meals, and alcohol, I had no time for excercise & eating healthy! Man, flying all over the place wears ya out! But you know what? I finally realized that the only person I'm fooling is myself and got my butt into the gym. I got sick and tired of feeling like garbage and lacking self confidence due to my personal "self-image", so after a year of saying "I need to go to the gym", I got my butt into the gym. I refused to diet in the beginning stages of my work out regime but after some time, that came naturally because your body tells you what you can or cannot eat. Lack of energy? Dont eat that... etc...

Now my BMI (Body Mass Index) is 23 and I feel great (went from a waist size 36/37 to a 30). I never miss a workout, even on the road. No gym? Workout time in the Hotel Room! Food? I know how much to eat & what I can consume because my body tells my brain whats up! I still eat pizza & mexican food but not every day like I used to. All it took was dedication and persistance and a desire to have a positive energy flow throughout my entire body/being.

It is actually rubbing off on a few people at my office and some of my friends as well. They've seen my "transformation" and I guess they are kind of feeding off of it which thats cool. They are getting their feet wet at the gym, or walking during break & lunch, and eating a little better. I've been there and done that so it's all good to me and have no problem with anyone, but I had to change myself!

...the truth of things is the chief nutriment of superior intellects.

Leonardo da Vinci

#29    saxcatz

saxcatz

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 227 posts

• There are only 10 kinds of people:
    Those who understand binary
    and those who don't!

Posted 13 November 2003 - 01:29 AM

Is America the Fattest Country?
Does a tiger have stripes? whistling2.gif  

The Saxfiend (AKA "SaxCatz")
saxcatz@hotmail.com
Saxophonist and Software Engineer (AKA "Code Jockey")
"What do you mean IF these walls could talk?"

#30    saxcatz

saxcatz

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 227 posts

• There are only 10 kinds of people:
    Those who understand binary
    and those who don't!

Posted 13 November 2003 - 01:31 AM

QUOTE (Seraphina @ Nov 11 2003, 03:00 PM)
All I know is I can't turn on the tv when an american chat show is showing without seeing someone who weighs at least 15 stone wacko.gif (that's 210lbs for you US peeps)

From what I've seen... it's pretty difficult to walk around any industrial nation and not see someone who weighs at least 210lbs.  BTW, 210lbs is not "fat" for alot of people; depending on your size and structure, 210lbs could be your minimum weight.  For instance, I am 6'1" with broad shoulders and am skinny as a rail...  I weigh 195lbs.

The Saxfiend (AKA "SaxCatz")
saxcatz@hotmail.com
Saxophonist and Software Engineer (AKA "Code Jockey")
"What do you mean IF these walls could talk?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users