Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Tyrannosaurus Rex No Longer a Carnosaur

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1    Cryptoman

Cryptoman

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

• "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
    -Douglas Adams

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:12 AM

Last night on the Science Channel, they premiered a new documentary on Tyrannosaurus Rex that totally changes its fearsome image. For example:

Tyrannosaurus hunted in family groups =o

Tyrannosaurus ran 15-20 mph, not 30 ='(

Tyrannosaurus's gait was like an elephants

But the most surprising new discovery is that it doesn't belong in the Carnosaur group anymore, it now belongs in the coelorusaur group due to the discovery of its oldest, small, feathery relative named Guanlong Wucaii. Instead of belonging in the family Tyrammosauridae it now belongs to Tyrannosaroidea. This means that Tyrannosaurus Rex is more closely related to birds as once thought. This even means it is now closely related to raptors and other coelorusaurs.

The Earth holds a message for you...
http://www.geogreeti...html?ymBIzDywkx

#2    Cryptoman

Cryptoman

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

• "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
    -Douglas Adams

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:13 AM

Instead of belonging in the family Tyrammosauridae it now belongs to Tyrannosaroidea.

Sorry, I meant to say Tyrannosauridae instead of Tyrammosauridae. My bad  grin2.gif

The Earth holds a message for you...
http://www.geogreeti...html?ymBIzDywkx

#3    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:18 PM

Do you have a link also?

But the most surprising new discovery is that it doesn't belong in the Carnosaur group anymore, it now belongs in the coelorusaur group due to the discovery of its oldest, small, feathery relative named Guanlong Wucaii

Wow, that would really turn things inside out...

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

#4    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,085 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:33 PM

Hm, how does that one work out?

#5    Wilbur

Wilbur

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 06:45 PM

On the show they said T-rex' legs were mostly strait while it walked, like an elephant's.  The spring step like other animals would cost it ot much energy.  Pretty cool show though, "T-Rex , New science, New creature" or something similar it was called.

#6    heathyr

heathyr

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 94 posts

• Love is life. And if you miss love, you miss life.
    -Leo Buscaglia-

Love makes your soul crawl out from its hiding place.
    -Zora Neale Hurston_

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:15 PM

wow thats cool..do u have a link with more info?

*~*Heathyr*~*

True love is like ghosts, which everyone talks about and few have seen.
Francois de La Rochefoucauld

#7    draconic chronicler

draconic chronicler

Majestic 12 Operative

• Banned
  • 6,229 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:09 PM

Last night on the Science Channel, they premiered a new documentary on Tyrannosaurus Rex that totally changes its fearsome image. For example:

Tyrannosaurus hunted in family groups =o

Tyrannosaurus ran 15-20 mph, not 30 ='(

But the most surprising new discovery is that it doesn't belong in the Carnosaur group anymore, it now belongs in the coelorusaur group due to the discovery of its oldest, small, feathery relative named Guanlong Wucaii. Instead of belonging in the family Tyrammosauridae it now belongs to Tyrannosaroidea. This means that Tyrannosaurus Rex is more closely related to birds as once thought. This even means it is now closely related to raptors and other coelorusaurs.

So how does that make the T rex less fearsome?  Because it is now a coeloruesaur, and may hunt in packs, does that mean it no longer eats meat and you can ride one like a Shetland Pony?  No, that is just stupid.  None of those things make it less "fearsome" if you (or a smaller dinosuar) were standing in front of the snout of one.  Does it hurt less to be eaten by a giant Coelorusaur than a Carnosaur?

#8    Bella-Angelique

Bella-Angelique

Caprica Six Cylon

• 7,174 posts

• There is more to learn

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:15 PM

I think I would opt for the faster lone hunter than the slower pack if I had to face the situation with a crude weapon.

Posted Image

#9    Roj47

Roj47

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

• If I believed the world was going to end in the next 10 years..... I would sell up and travel to see as much of it as I could.

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:19 PM

So how does that make the T rex less fearsome?  Because it is now a coeloruesaur, and may hunt in packs, does that mean it no longer eats meat and you can ride one like a Shetland Pony?  No, that is just stupid.  None of those things make it less "fearsome" if you (or a smaller dinosuar) were standing in front of the snout of one.  Does it hurt less to be eaten by a giant Coelorusaur than a Carnosaur?

Is there not a controversial theory that the T-rex was actually a scavenger rather than a hunter, and only if times were hard would it actually hunt.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#10    secondhand

secondhand

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

• Bah humbug

Posted 08 December 2006 - 04:18 PM

I wish people would stop ruining my childhood. First I was told Santa isn't real, then I keep getting told that the coolest animal to ever walk the earth was in fact a feathery vegetarian. I will always believe that a T-Rex was a big, bad angry mofo with teeth like spears and faster than a cheetah. That's what it's all about.

#11    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:25 PM

Is there not a controversial theory that the T-rex was actually a scavenger rather than a hunter

Psssh, it's a media stunt by Jack Horner. There's much more evidence that they are hunters.

Does it hurt less to be eaten by a giant Coelorusaur than a Carnosaur?

laugh.gif That was great!

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#12    DelVal Paranormal

DelVal Paranormal

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:50 PM

didn't see the documentary, but would like too.

Posted Image
New Website!! http://www.delvalparanormal.org New Discussion Forums http://delvalparanormal.yuku.com Formerly BBH Productionz

#13    GoddessWhispers

GoddessWhispers

Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.

• Banned
  • 5,551 posts

• Blasphemy laws should be abolished. It would be a strange God indeed, that required protection by the judicial system.
    ~ Salman Rushdie

Posted 08 December 2006 - 11:36 PM

I saw the commercials for this new episode for weeks, and still missed it!  geek.gif So glad for re-runs.

Another interesting fact I heard about TRex was that it was not a predator, as previously thought. But rather like unto a buzzard. Eating carrion rather than being a predator. That totally changes the profile of those Jurassic Park films, no!?

Posted Image
"(Oh Lord)If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there." Psalm 139:8

#14    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 11:44 PM

Another interesting fact I heard about TRex was that it was not a predator, as previously thought. But rather like unto a buzzard. Eating carrion rather than being a predator. That totally changes the profile of those Jurassic Park films, no!?

T-rex was actually a predator. The scavenger theory was made by Jack Horner. All the evidence points to being an active ambush hunter, and the world's leading paleontologist on theropods, Currie, agrees.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#15    draconic chronicler

draconic chronicler

Majestic 12 Operative

• Banned
  • 6,229 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 11:48 PM

I saw the commercials for this new episode for weeks, and still missed it!  geek.gif So glad for re-runs.

As Frogfish correctly stated, that was just a publicity stunt of Jack Horner to get into the press again.  It is really nonsense, and he should be ashamed.

All predators are also scavengers.  The T Rex is a perfectly designed terrestrial version of a similar aquatic predator that has been around for over 200 million years.  It is called a crocodile.  A hunter who waits in ambush, and then captures and kills even larger animals with its immensly powerful jaws.  The T Rex does the same thing on land.  And yes both of these animals will scavenge a carcass if the opportunity arises, but it doesn't make them any less a predator.

All of the revisionist garbage is put out there, just to watch the new shows and see the sponsors commercials.  Yes its interesting that T-Rex seems to share a Coleousaur lineage, but this changes absolutely nothing about it being a ;highly succesful ambush predator for millions and millions of years.  If humans survive even a quarter of the time Tyrannosaurs dominated their world, we will be very succesful indeed.  I think I'll place my bets on the T Rex.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users