Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Old Sunbury Lunatic Asylum

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1    insecurity

insecurity

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 111 posts

• I will show you fear in a handful of dust. - T. S. Eliot - The Waste Lands

Posted 28 November 2006 - 01:59 PM

Hello people,
I am a uni student at Victoria University in Sunbury, the campus happens to be the old Lunatic Asylum and I was just wondering if anyone had any ghost stories involving the place that they would like to share. I have lived on campus for 2 years and I have found a few places to be unbareably eerie but since I am feeling brave I am going to go take pictures now. (even though it is midnight.) Anyway it would really help if someone had some infomation concerning the place because I have to run a ghost tour next year for all the other student residents and I have only two stories so far...Plus one of my own....I'll tell you about it later. Its not supernatural, its just freaky and rather funny.

Posted Image

#2    insecurity

insecurity

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 04:22 PM

Hey I went out and took some late night photos (which are admittedly crappy thanks to my el-cheapo camera but I tried didn't I?) I wasn't trying to prove anything with these photos just that the campus is spooky however I am kinda stupid and deleted the really good shots of the front of the campus but I will take more tomorrow or the following day if any are interested.

Oh yeah this freaky/funny story;
One night (at about 11pm maybe a little later) I went for a cigarette and a stroll around campus. I got to the front of the buildings (the pic taken in daylight) and sat down and just stared up at it while smoking like a chimney. Anyway I started hearing 'Harry, Harry...' It was either a woman or a kid, I wrote it off as kids. It didn't happen for a few minutes but when it did again I just thought it was kids. Anyway after the forth or fifth time I realised it was closer and looked around only to see a figure emerging from the shadows (dramatic I know, but seriously it was about then that I nearly p***ed my pants with fright) I realised that it was just a sruffy looking only lady calling out 'Harry,' and asumed she must have been looking for her dog or cat because she was just wadling across the grass with a plastic bag in each hand. Anyway so as not to startle her I coughed but she didnt look my way so I called out, 'excuse me, are you okay?' but she just ignored me and kept on wandering along. I freaked the hell out and ran back to the residence. I told a few of the other residents and they all laughed at me except for one who said 'don't you know, when the asylum shut down thy just released the loonies into the world, some of them come back here sometimes because they get confused and don't know where else to go...'

Attached Files

Edited by insecurity, 30 November 2006 - 02:28 AM.

Posted Image

#3    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

• ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:27 PM

'don't you know, when the asylum shut down thy just released the loonies into the world, '

no.gif Great attitude about the mentally ill there.

#4    143

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:07 PM

no.gif Great attitude about the mentally ill there.

Not very acurate vocabulary.  Agrees with ethyl.

#5    haunteddreams

haunteddreams

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 01:53 AM

Wow. I have to agree...great attitude about the mentally ill. You do realize that like only 50 years ago we put people in to asylums for things like depression, post partum depression and even severe pms? Today we can deal with those all. Before...we didn't exactly have the resources. People had depression or even a nervous break down and we locked them away. Really, I'm glad to see our society has progressed to where it is now and even people like schizophrenics can be helped with medicine.

#6    LadyHay

LadyHay

Poltergeist

• 2,232 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 02:10 AM

Wow. I have to agree...great attitude about the mentally ill. You do realize that like only 50 years ago we put people in to asylums for things like depression, post partum depression and even severe pms? Today we can deal with those all. Before...we didn't exactly have the resources. People had depression or even a nervous break down and we locked them away. Really, I'm glad to see our society has progressed to where it is now and even people like schizophrenics can be helped with medicine.

Things like depression were not generally recognized as a mental illness, unless there were outward emanations like harming someone or constant outbursts.  Recognizing depression is still a fairly new concept, but it's treatment is gaining ground quickly, since many people have stopped fearing it so much.

I apparently had a great aunt who would give herself a "weekend or so" every so often at the local mental facility.  We actually didn't lock people away as readily as one might think.  Of course, Canadian laws were/are different, and it took more than just a spouse to certify someone.  

Yes, there are many horror stories about what was formerly known as insane asylums.  They are now known as Mental Health Hospitals or other more PC names.   I worked on  the Neuropsych ward with people who really had no hope at all of successful medical treatment.  Many of them were alcohol induced psychoses and other dementias.  Really, there is no safer place for them to be than under constant around the clock care.  Indeed it is a bleak place to be.  

I wholeheartedly agree with you that our mental health care system has improved so dramatically.

#7    boorite

boorite

Tub of Goo

• Closed
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 03:43 AM

Edit: thanks, mods, for cleaning out the redundants.

Edited by boorite, 29 November 2006 - 07:58 PM.

#8    Radian

Radian

Καρδιά ενός &a

• 8,002 posts

• Καρδιά ενός δράκου

Posted 29 November 2006 - 03:48 AM

when the asylum shut down thy just released the loonies into the world, some of them come back here sometimes because they get confused and don't know where else to go...'

pathetic-

Posted Image <-- my attack bee

#9    Radian

Radian

Καρδιά ενός &a

• 8,002 posts

• Καρδιά ενός δράκου

Posted 29 November 2006 - 03:55 AM

Imo,  "loonies" are defined as those who think as the original poster... wacko.gif

Edited by Sunny98, 29 November 2006 - 04:01 AM.

#10    Radian

Radian

Καρδιά ενός &a

• 8,002 posts

• Καρδιά ενός δράκου

Posted 29 November 2006 - 03:57 AM

Speaking of mentally ill, was there a reason to post this same topic FOUR TIMES IN A ROW?

'Loonie' ring any bells?  thumbsup.gif

#11    insecurity

insecurity

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 04:57 AM

okay that was a quote from the other resident, i never personally refered to them as 'loonies' and i know alot of women were actually put in the place for things such as post-natal depression, PMT and the like which, in the end, actually drove a lot of them insane no.gif . Sorry if I offended people, that wasn't my intentions, nor was it my intention to seem ignorant about the mentally ill because I am not.
As for the multiple posts blush.gif I aplogise, my computer is being weird and nothing was loading up and well I ended up with 4 of the same post.

Posted Image

#12    insecurity

insecurity

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 05:01 AM

P.S. could one of the mods please delete the other 3 repeated posts? I don't want to be filling up the forum with repeated crap.
Thanks original.gif

Posted Image

#13    Radian

Radian

Καρδιά ενός &a

• 8,002 posts

• Καρδιά ενός δράκου

Posted 29 November 2006 - 05:54 AM

okay that was a quote from the other resident, i never personally refered to them as 'loonies' and i know alot of women were actually put in the place for things such as post-natal depression, PMT and the like which, in the end, actually drove a lot of them insane no.gif . Sorry if I offended people, that wasn't my intentions, nor was it my intention to seem ignorant about the mentally ill because I am not.
As for the multiple posts blush.gif I aplogise, my computer is being weird and nothing was loading up and well I ended up with 4 of the same post.

I don't speak for everyone but some find comments such as that (highly) offensive regarding the mentally Ill. These comments are taken very very personal, whether mental illness effects that person indirectly, or directly... for example, my daughter has autism- She would have been considered a "loonie" if put such a place, therefore it's insulting..
Apology accepted here.  thumbsup.gif

Edited by Sunny98, 29 November 2006 - 05:58 AM.

#14    LadyHay

LadyHay

Poltergeist

• 2,232 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 05:59 AM

I wasn't offended at all, I twigged into the fact that you were quoting, but good of you to clarify that.

I think all in all former asylums are intriguing places.  So much went on there - stories of abuse and horror, sickening rumors of patients' behaviors and consequences, gruesome tales of the medical treatment some of these patients endured.  Not much was pleasant in most of these places.  At least The Old Sunbury Asylum was turned into something useful.  These old beautiful historical buildings shouldn't go to waste, IMO.  They want to tear ours down and make apartments, like they did Woodlands (BC Canada).  They even built over the Woodlands Cemetery, because it was disturbing the view of the new tenants.  No respect there, but people are moving to correct that.

#15    Radian

Radian

Καρδιά ενός &a

• 8,002 posts

• Καρδιά ενός δράκου

Posted 29 November 2006 - 06:20 AM

I think all in all former asylums are intriguing places.  So much went on there - stories of abuse and horror, sickening rumors of patients' behaviors and consequences, gruesome tales of the medical treatment some of these patients endured.

I remember in Psychology courses we'd go over history of such places. It was completely horrifying.  Makes me think of this movie, "house on haunted hill" (I believe)- Where this asylum's patients got revenge on it's Drs, and nurses who tortured them..and their spirits eventually got revenge on the Dr.s and nurses next of kin.... sort of stupid, but it had some pretty funky scenes...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users