Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Neanderthals Were Cannibals, Study Confirms

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1    GreyWeather

GreyWeather

噢,这真是个快乐

• 6,407 posts

• If at first you don't succeed... cheat.

Posted 05 December 2006 - 05:49 PM

Neanderthals suffered periods of starvation and may have supplemented their diet through cannibalism, according to a study of remains from northwest Spain.

Paleobiologists studied samples from eight 43,000-year-old Neanderthal skeletons excavated from an underground cave in El Sidrón, Spain since 2000. The study sheds light on how Neanderthals lived before the arrival of modern humans in Europe.

Researchers found cut marks and evidence that bones had been torn apart, which they say could indicate cannibalism.

"There is strong evidence suggesting that these Neanderthals were eaten," said the study's lead author, Antonio Rosas of the Museo Nacional de Ciencias Naturales in Madrid. "That is, long bones and the skull were broken for extraction of the marrow, [which] is very nutritious."

According to Rosas, there is evidence of cannibalism in Neanderthal remains from other European sites.

"I would say this practice… was general among Neanderthal populations," he said.

Teeth from the remains showed evidence of periods of starvation or minimal nutrition, particularly during difficult life transitions like weaning or adolescence, according to Rosas.

Teeth grow by adding thin layers of enamel, but when some change in the natural development of the individual occurs, the enamel is deposited more slowly, or stops altogether, Rosas explained. Outside forces like climate or illness could also affect tooth growth, he said.

"So mostly harsh winters, together with physiological difficulties in the life history of these people may explain what we found," Rosas told LiveScience.

Rosas' team also noticed that southern Neanderthals had wider, flatter faces than northern Neanderthals. Exactly why this variation is seen is still a matter of debate, but according to Rosas the most likely explanation is adaptation to the climate. For example, people exposed to the cold environment of the North may have developed longer noses for heating the air, he said.

Source

Sapiens and neanderthal's aren't that different, seeing as we also go cannibal when starvation sets in.

Posted Image

If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do. The smallest act of kindness can be the greatest thing in the world.

#2    Bella-Angelique

Bella-Angelique

Caprica Six Cylon

• 7,174 posts

• There is more to learn

Posted 05 December 2006 - 05:56 PM

When the ground is too hard to dig into to bury, they may have just laid them out in the snow and ice and used them as a last resort for food.

Posted Image

#3    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 05 December 2006 - 06:44 PM

After reading a few other articles on this.. it really does look like it's one of those last resort kind of things.  Everyone had pointed to conditions being so horrid that it was either eat the dead, or die themselves.

Which, has happened in modernday humans from time to time.

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#4    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,085 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 07:25 PM

It was speculated quite a while ago that neanderthals were cannibalistic, there was evidence of Prion disease epidemics (think of CJD/Mad Cow disease), which are easily spread through ingestion of infected tissue. I guess this confirms it.

Although I wonder if it really was down to malnutrition, after all, some chimpanzees troops are also cannibalistic. Maybe it was cultural.

#5    carini

carini

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 08:34 PM

Humans are cannibals under the right conditions. Kuru is a disease caused by cannibalism.

Humans are the only animal to force other animals to become cannibals too. Just look at mad cow disease. Gotta love humanity forcing cows to eat cows.

#6    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,085 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 08:47 PM

Humans are cannibals under the right conditions. Kuru is a disease caused by cannibalism.

Kuru is a disease that's transmitted through cannibalism, although that's not what causes it.

Humans are the only animal to force other animals to become cannibals too. Just look at mad cow disease. Gotta love humanity forcing cows to eat cows.

huh.gif Mad Cow disease has nothing to do with cows cannibalizing. Infact it's impossible for cows to even eat meat.

Edited by Raptor X7, 05 December 2006 - 08:47 PM.

#7    MadMachine

MadMachine

Knight of the Most High God

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

• Your God is Imaginary.

Posted 05 December 2006 - 09:00 PM

Mad Cow disease has nothing to do with cows cannibalizing. Infact it's impossible for cows to even eat meat.

I'm probably wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that on cow farms, calves are fed the blood of other cows in place of milk sometimes.
Can someone please tell me whether or not that's true, and provide a link maybe?

ERODE

#8    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 09:17 PM

huh.gif Mad Cow disease has nothing to do with cows cannibalizing. Infact it's impossible for cows to even eat meat.

Mad Cow had develouped because farmers feed their cows bone meal.  Bone meal is from well... bone.  Bones from previously slaughtered cows.  So in a way, it's forced cannibalizm.

The disease itself is a form of protein, which is why it's damned near impossible to cure.

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and

#9    Avinash_Tyagi

Avinash_Tyagi

Government Agent

• 3,871 posts

• Searching For Answers

Posted 06 December 2006 - 12:07 AM

The use of meat and bone meal as a protein supplement in cattle feed was widespread in Europe prior to about 1987.

Spider-pig, Spider-pig, does whatever a Spider-pig does   Homer Simpson

Everyday the cafe's and and outdoor markets of the middle east explode in anticipation! -Aasif Mandvi

Vir!  Intelligence has no place in politics! Londo Mollari

WWBD: What Would Belldandy Do?

When Christians attack!:

#10    Irish

Irish

“The Mod Father”

• 4,935 posts

• Practice Random Acts of Kindness, they return to you!

Posted 06 December 2006 - 12:12 AM

That’s why humans developed a sense of humour at that point in evolution.
They stopped eating each other because they suddenly tasted funny. original.gif

Irish

Most people do not want to know the truth they only want confirmation for what they think is truth.

#11    SwampGator

SwampGator

Skeptical Skeptic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

• It seems common sense is not that common.

Posted 06 December 2006 - 12:21 AM

Geesh Irish....I just fell off the couch.... rofl.gif  thumbsup.gif

"The ones who look so far outside the box they lose the box completely = Blind Believer"   Chaoszerg

#12    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 12:45 AM

That’s why humans developed a sense of humour at that point in evolution.
They stopped eating each other because they suddenly tasted funny. original.gif

Irish

Nuthin' says lovin' like gramma in the oven!

*ducks thrown objects and dashes out of the thread cackling madly*

#13    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,085 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 01:08 AM

blush.gif I stand corrected.

Mad Cow had develouped because farmers feed their cows bone meal. Bone meal is from well... bone. Bones from previously slaughtered cows. So in a way, it's forced cannibalizm.

The disease itself is a form of protein, which is why it's damned near impossible to cure.

Thanks.  thumbsup.gif

#14    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 01:18 AM

X) welcome!

#15    carini

carini

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 05:37 AM

Mmmmm, mmmmm, mmmmm.

Prions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users