Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

could this be classed as missing time.

sky watcher

Hi everyone im new to this so if i mess up please let me know.lol

Here goes.

me and my partner went to bed at approx 1.45am he was asleep within 15minutes because i could hear him snoring . i glanced at the clock it was now 2am i was just lying there thinking about nothing in particular when all of a sudden a fear of dread over came me.

i called out to my partner he didnt answer me i reached over and shock him trying to wake him up screaming at him he was out cold like in a coma ... now i cannot remember anything after that all i remember is the alarm clock going off and the time was 7.30am .

He thinks i was dreaming i wasnt i was awake......... i cannot explain this so i thought i would come here to see if any of you good people might be able to shed some light on this its just a mystery i didnt just fall asleep it just doesnt make sense ... Any ideas ? :unsure2:

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• coldethyl

• boorite

• sky watcher

• Opus Magnus

My guess would be you fell asleep and didn't realize it. Happens to me a lot. I'll be sitting in bed not falling asleep. Then the next time I look at the clock it'll be about 4 hours later, which what seemed to be a couple minutes. Either that or you were abducted by aliens :alien: .

I think you were probably asleep and didn't realize it.

Hi everyone im new to this so if i mess up please let me know.lol

Here goes.

me and my partner went to bed at approx 1.45am he was asleep within 15minutes because i could hear him snoring . i glanced at the clock it was now 2am i was just lying there thinking about nothing in particular when all of a sudden a fear of dread over came me.

i called out to my partner he didnt answer me i reached over and shock him trying to wake him up screaming at him he was out cold like in a coma ... now i cannot remember anything after that all i remember is the alarm clock going off and the time was 7.30am .

He thinks i was dreaming i wasnt i was awake......... i cannot explain this so i thought i would come here to see if any of you good people might be able to shed some light on this its just a mystery i didnt just fall asleep it just doesnt make sense ... Any ideas ? :unsure2:

I had two classic "intruder" experiences at a very young age, and they were very much like this. All I can say is I know what you mean, and it feels very different from any kind of dream or an instance where you just fall asleep and don't remember it. Those things happen just about every night, and they're nothing to write home about.

What you describe is consistent with the "missing time" concept that is part and parcel of the whole "alien encounter" phenomenon. But is it an instance of that? I don't know. But I want to acknowledge that when it happens, it doesn't feel like any old dream. It feels really strange.

I would want to know if the neighbors saw anything strange, or you remember anything else, or if this has happened before.

^^Could it be more than just falling asleep as in a sleep disorder different than SP but of the same family?

^^Could it be more than just falling asleep as in a sleep disorder different than SP but of the same family?

Speaking for myself, I don't know. It seems that on the face of it, the facts as given are not consistent with anything like SP or (for example) narcolepsy. Dreaming sounds more likely, although I do know what the OP means when she says it sure didn't seem like any dream.

By itself, it's consistent with what people describe as alien encounters, but it's not sufficient (to me, anyway) to say that she had an alien encounter experience. And I'm not trying to say anything about the reality of such experiences-- only that people have them, and that they are, in part, like what the OP describes. Mine was, anyway. Except that in my case, I was a kid, and I was screaming for my parents.

BTW, I don't have any neurological disorders that I know of, and I've been evaluated.

Odds are you were probably dreaming. I wake up in the middle of the night and do stuff all the time, and don't remember that I did it (my mom tells me so I do know that I do things.) Sleep tends to distort things like time and memory, so I doubt it was anything paranormal.

Speaking for myself, I don't know.

What about night terrors?

I'm not trying to invalidate or minimize the experience, just understand it.

What about night terrors?

I'm not trying to invalidate or minimize the experience, just understand it.

With night terrors, you typically thrash around and make a hell of a noise and don't remember it the next day. Typically, you wake the other person up. Also, night terrors don't have any particular dreamlike content, and they occur in deep non-REM sleep-- not the case here.

I think it's possible to characterize the OP's experience as a dream, but again, I know exactly what she means when she insists it's not a dream. I have lots of dreams, and they don't feel like these.

So, hypothesis: It's a dream. We could prove the hypothesis false if there were some corroborating detail, something that couldn't be caused by a dream.

(I'm not saying I "believe" this hypothesis. It's just something to work with.)

I had two classic "intruder" experiences at a very young age, and they were very much like this. All I can say is I know what you mean, and it feels very different from any kind of dream or an instance where you just fall asleep and don't remember it. Those things happen just about every night, and they're nothing to write home about.

What you describe is consistent with the "missing time" concept that is part and parcel of the whole "alien encounter" phenomenon. But is it an instance of that? I don't know. But I want to acknowledge that when it happens, it doesn't feel like any old dream. It feels really strange.

I would want to know if the neighbors saw anything strange, or you remember anything else, or if this has happened before.

Hi Boorite i remember perfectly shaking my partner awake and screaming at him to wake up but from that point its a total blank. i don't remember lying back down and going to sleep and i don't remember anything else apart from the shear dread that something is coming sounds laughable really .

i never really thought about asking the neighbours allow i have noticed something now you mention it (the neighbours idea) when i have been out scanning the night skies i have seen a couple of strange objects when i see these objects the neighbours are not there ... the houses on both sides are in complete darkness ..... as for has anything like this happened before . where would you like me to start ? lol ive come here to try and piece this whole thing together. i do believe people get abducted and that is what I'm trying to find out have i . thanks for everybody's replies . :)

So you're questioning if you got abducted?

You will get mixed thoughts about that from here :hmm:

I think it sounds like either a false awakening where you dreamed you woke up, felt dread and tryed to wake your partner up but couldn't wake him up because it was a dream, then fell back into deep sleep again. False awakenings can seem realistic and you'd only be aware of a false awaking if you were to remain in light sleep and wake up very soon after and then realise oh wow I'm still in bed and was alseep.

Or, you were sleep walking and were very close to fully waking then drifted off back to sleep. Our perception of time is really screwed with outside of being fully awake. It's just a thought :)

Why would an alien abduct you?

I'm sure that, if they exist, they have better things to do than abduct a random person during the night.

I'm sure that what happened to you, can easily be explained with a sleeping disorder.

Hi Boorite i remember perfectly shaking my partner awake and screaming at him to wake up but from that point its a total blank. i don't remember lying back down and going to sleep and i don't remember anything else apart from the shear dread that something is coming sounds laughable really .

It's not laughable to me. I've had an experience virtually identical to yours. A lot of people have. But I think there are more people who haven't had it.

Anyone else know what she's talking about?

i never really thought about asking the neighbours allow i have noticed something now you mention it (the neighbours idea) when i have been out scanning the night skies i have seen a couple of strange objects when i see these objects the neighbours are not there ... the houses on both sides are in complete darkness ..... as for has anything like this happened before . where would you like me to start ?

Ok, that's all consistent with the missing time/abduction phenomenon.

BTW, I'm not interested at this point in arguing about whether or not abductions are "real," or if this is really a case of that. All I'm supposing is that people (including myself) have this experience, and "sky watcher" is describing that experience.

Here are some books for anyone who's interested in learning more about the whole abduction phenomenon:

John E. Mack. Passport to the Cosmos: Human Transformation and Alien Encounters. Three Rivers Press: 2000.

--Abduction: Human Encounters with Aliens. Charles Scribners Sons: 1994. (Paperback edition by Ballantine: 1997.)

David Pritchard & Andrea Pritchard (ed.). Alien Discussions: Proceedings of the Abduction Study Conference Held at M.I.T. Cambridge, Ma. North Cambridge Press: 1995.

Anything by David M. Jacobs, Budd Hopkins, or Raymond E. Fowler.

This isn't necessarily an endorsement of any particular thing these authors say, but I think these are among the most thorough documenters of the abduction phenomenon.

To paraphrase Hopkins: Abduction experiences represent either a completely new and unknown psychological principle, or else they refer to something that is actually happening in physical reality. People who are not aware of this will try to explain away the experience in very glib and superficial ways that don't stand up to scrutiny-- either because they haven't bothered to look into the phenomenon or because they have chosen to ignore the evidence. Also realize that many would-be debunkers, even the professionals, ply their trade by ridiculing and intimidating witnesses. If (when?) that happens here, try to blow it off, if you can.

I'm interested in hearing more!

I read Hopkins and I'm currently reading one of his latest books. I have read Mack too, but it's been a while.

Yeah the invisibility stuff. I'm taking it slow. Plus one of my best friends sent me Bruce Campbell's autobiography as a Christmas pressie and I'm going to be worshipping reading that for a while!

Ugh, I don't mean to scare you, but I got the chills when reading this post because it reminded of me the time that something very similar to this happened to me. Only thing is, I didn't end up falling asleep, I physically DID look at the clock a minute later and it had changed to an hour ahead. I hate to go back and recount the event as I am still somewhat shocked by it and confused as to what had happened. But to fill you in on where I'm coming from, in a nutshell I'm going to explain what had happened on that frightful night.

Well you see, I was in this weird slump where I felt vulnerable a lot and for some reason I really didn't want to sleep alone in my room, so my brother for the next couple of weeks agreed that I could make a bed out of covers on the floor next to his bed. So that had become routine for me for a bit.

So anywayszs, I woke up one night at roughly 1 a.m. to the weirdest sound I have ever heard in my life, and still the thought of it sends shivers up my spine. It was unheard of and there are absolutely no words in the human vocabulary to thoroughly explain the exact sound, pitch, oddity of it, etc. So lets just leave it at the fact that it was a very creepy noise >.< One that I hope I will never hear in my life again.

So by then I was so surprised, and taken aback that I shook my head to make myself feel completely awake and I got up and sat down on my brother's bed. I was so spooked by then that I just simply didn't want to be the only one awake. And, I wanted to tell him about the weird sound that I had just heard. So, I started by gently shaking him to awaken him, but to no avail. I began to grow wearily and a bit more frightened at this, he just wouldn't wake up, and so I began kicking him violently and talking to him in his ear, pleading and begging him to wake up, and I screamed pretty loudly. I remember the moment in the beginning just as I woke up after hearing the noise, I automatically called out to him and just thinking back on the vulnerability in my voice, it still gives me the willies. But anyways, my brother is typically a deep, sound sleeper, but HONESTLY- with all the carrying on that I was doing, it would be nearly IMPOSSIBLE to sleep through that. I was shaking in fear but punching, kicking, screaming at him, doing anything that I could. He still would not awaken.

As time passes my memory is a bit rusty, but some time between going up on his bed and yelling out to him, I remember seeing a bright blue, brilliant ball of light right next to his clock in a corner in his room. This did not last very long, but did so enough for me to have a memory of it.

I tried falling asleep, which obviously wasn't working all too well for me. I simply put my head on the pillow for what seemed like a mere minute. I DIDN'T EVEN CLOSE MY EYES. [don't mind the caps, just stressing that fact.] But after what seemed like a minute later, I turned over again and looking up at the clock, where it read 2 am. Now, the waking-him-up ordeal could in no way have taken up an hour of time, maybe 15 minutes but definitely not an hour. So I honestly still do not know where the time had gone or what had happened. But after looking at the clock reading 2 a.m., reality had sunk in to me that a case of missing time had just occured. So I attempted to awaken my brother again, this time it worked. And I explained everything to him. He said that he never once acknowledged me trying to wake him up.

So, that explanation turned out to be not-so-short afterall, so much for that. But I hope that someone got a chance to read my story and take away something from it, even if it just got you thinking for a second.

Ugh, I'm not gonna be able to sleep tonight >.< After recalling that event. Great. -Sigh-. Oh well. --//xo;Ace

Edited by IndigoChild