Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is it possible for a God to be almighty ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
113 replies to this topic

#91    alienmojo

alienmojo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 174 posts

• Now what???

Posted 23 November 2003 - 05:53 PM

THIS IS A REPLY TO THE NAMELESS ONE.

Oh geez.. where do I start.  I, like you, love and preserve life.  I am deeply ashamed at how mankind mishandles his gift of life.  You are right to believe in Ghandi as being a wonderful man, he was...and is also one of my heros.  But even Ghandi believed in God.

Your first mistake is thinking that the words spoken by the Christ at the cross were "Father why have you forsaken me?"  Do you really believe for one second that a man, born of God, a man such as Jesus would for a second think God had forgotten about him?  No, my friend, it is much more than that.

So many people mistakenly take that to mean that Jesus felt God had deserted him!  DON'T YOU BELIEVE IT!  Jesus said that to fulfill scripture.  In Psalms 22,2 you see the same phrase being said. Psalm 22 is one of the most important of the messianic psams.  Our Lord himself on the cross repeated its first line, and several other verses are directly quoted, or at leaset alluded to, ikn the New Testament as pertaining to his Passion.  Of no other person is this touching description of spiritual and physical suffering so eminently true as it is of Jesus Christ.  Hence, the entire psalm has been traditionally interpreted in the Catholic Church as referring to Jesus.  The psamist, therefore, speaks in Christ's name when in the first section he describes the Messiah's dereliction,and physical persecution together with his unshaken confidence in the heavenly Father.

So please remember that when you hear that phrase all it means are two things:
1) Jesus is fulfilling Messianic prophesy and
2) Jesus feels farther away from God than at any time in his life.. but not lost.

Your second mistake is saying that the Christian God is one of War.  In the old testament I would tend to agree... but not in the new.  The new testament God is one of love and Peace.  No where does God say go off and kill people in my name. There are Jihad's in the Islamic bible, but even they are not what we think them as.  They are holy wars.. but things such as the Twin Towers attack, although called a "Jihad", aren't.  God has never condoned the killing of innocents.

It is MAN that perverts God's words to do man's doings.  You can not pull out the New Testament and prove to me that God is a vengeful and murdering God.  No, it is man that is.  Don't let yourself fall into that trap.  Just look at the evangalists on TV that pervert His word to get what they want... Look at Jim Jones and all those who died in Guyana.

I hope this helps explain some things.

I've got a bad feeling about this!

#92    alienmojo

alienmojo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 174 posts

• Now what???

Posted 23 November 2003 - 06:20 PM

Oops!  Just read my post and I was a little unclear in the beginning there.  Jesus did say, "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me."  I kinda made it sound like he didn't.  Sorry about that.

Oh, and just one more thing.  I hope it didn't sound like I was dogging on the Nameless One.. I didn't want it to look like that.  I appreciate and respect all your opinions... even when they are wrong.  whistling2.gif

I, like so many others, have sore points.  That phrase Christ speaks has always freaked me out and I did a lot of studying and reading to figure it out.

And I really feel for the Nameless One being mad at God for wars and such.  I can understand that, but I stand by my feeling that it is Man, and only man, who can be blamed for such transgressions.  Use God as your banner in war if you like, but I don't think God is with you.

Also, I know I sound like some kind of religious nut, but I'm not. I don't even go to Church.  I don't even know if God exists, I hope he does, but I don't know.

Those guys back then were lucky because they got to see miricles and stuff... We don't get any of that.  I would be Thomas asking to feel the wounds of Christ to believe.  That is just how I am.. and God made me so I guess it is alright to feel that way.

I've studied almost every religion and all it did was leave me confused.  They can't all be right.  Or perhaps they are.  Maybe God paves the road to Himself in many different ways... for some Islam is the answer, for others Catholicism.  End result we all find our way to God and treat each other as we would like to be treated as ourselves.

Oh geez... somebody shut me up!

#93    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

• Everyone likes a smouldering and sexy glare from a diminutive scientist.

Posted 23 November 2003 - 06:35 PM

hmm...while you give a very balanced veiw...may I ask one thing?

You say that the God of the old testament is a war monger, yet the one of the new testament is not....how, may I ask, do you explain this sudden and dramatic change is his outlook...you said we can't apply human terms to god, so I therefore doubt saying he simply 'changed his mind' would cut it...

If the origonal god (before the chruch made him more fashionable) was so cruel, why did his supposed son's teachings contradict everything in the old testament, especially when we're to consider that the old testament is often considered 'the breath of god', while the new, trendy version was written by mortal man huh.gif  

Posted Image

Apparantly, over on Exchristian.Net, they say that I'm "probably the smartest person" on UM....that is so cool...

#94    alienmojo

alienmojo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 174 posts

• Now what???

Posted 23 November 2003 - 06:43 PM

VERY VERY good question there!!!  I wish I was the one to be able to answer it.  But I will try.

The God of the old testament was a jealous and vengeful God.  Why?  Because there were so many other gods for one thing.  Also, because I believe that was what was needed at the time.

By the time Jesus came into the picture it was time for a new image for God.  God felt, for some reason I can't begin to fathom, that 0 bc was a good time to show his love and tenderness.  He had already proven he was a strong God, now was time to show his love for the world.  To show that HE was the real and one true God.

In old testament times all the tribes did was war with each other.  In Jesus' time there stood out scholars who were thinkers, not fighters.  It was time for a change.  And obviously God was right on with the time because look at how Christianity flurished.

I hope that was right.. its the best I can do.

#95    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 09:41 PM

um...you'll find that christianity flourished because of the slaughter and ethnic cleansing of those who refused to convert to it huh.gif Not much of god's 'loving nature' in that.

Christianity has, in fact, exerted such a worldwide following by hypocracy...though the crusades, the dark ages...almost any period of time during which the church was a politically powerful organisation, the general rule was to murder anyone who's beliefs contradicted your own.

God changing his apparant outlook to another one had very little...in fact...had nothing at all...to do with it huh.gif  

Posted Image

Apparantly, over on Exchristian.Net, they say that I'm "probably the smartest person" on UM....that is so cool...

#96    alienmojo

alienmojo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 174 posts

• Now what???

Posted 24 November 2003 - 01:56 AM

Whoa Serephina!  I don't know about that.  Christianity wasn't the one that was persecuting people!  Remember Daniel in the lion's Den?  Remember the mark of the fish so people wouldn't know they were Christians?  No, I'm sorry but I feel you are dead wrong with this one.  It flourished so heavily because for the first time a God was loving instead of cruel.

#97    The Nameless One

The Nameless One

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

• (\ /)
    (0.0)
    (><)
    /_|_\
    Frank The Rabbit: 28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, 12 seconds. That is when the world will end.

Posted 24 November 2003 - 03:28 AM

QUOTE (alienmojo @ Nov 23 2003, 04:53 PM)
You are right to believe in Ghandi as being a wonderful man, he was...and is also one of my heros.  But even Ghandi believed in God.

Your first mistake is thinking that the words spoken by the Christ at the cross were "Father why have you forsaken me?"  Do you really believe for one second that a man, born of God, a man such as Jesus would for a second think God had forgotten about him?  

Your second mistake is saying that the Christian God is one of War.  In the old testament I would tend to agree... but not in the new.  The new testament God is one of love and Peace.  No where does God say go off and kill people in my name.

I hope this helps explain some things.

First off not to be rude, but Ghandi was a Buddhist Buddha and the Christian God are two differnent Ideas of Religion.

Second of all I do not believe anything that the bible speaks of Except, for the Possibilty of a WorldWide Flood, and the Fact Jesus was a Man maybe a prophet to himself, maybe a being of advanced human intelligence to others, but to me he is just a man with Ideas.
Upon the Cross he did not Die, they told you that, but it was a Lie. Instead He sailed the Oceans, and Seas to Southern France for Tranquility, There he married Mary Magdeline, and founded a Great Dynasty, a Church was built upon a Hill to serve all OF HIS GODS AT WILL!!!

Third of all God is not a God of wars? Explain Joan of Arc, Please Explain Michael, and The Great Red Dragon, if I can remember right it says in Revelation 11:7 Now a War arose in Heaven, Michale and his Angels are Fighting against the Dragon, and his angels.
Eventually Salvation was found in, and there was no more place for the Dragon.  

Oh how about the Holy Crusades what about that, and Explain the use of the Arc of the Covenant to bring down the Walls of Jericho. God does not cause Wars? Hmmmmm?  

4th of all please please explain to me, why God changed his mind and just decided his Old Testament wasn't good enough anymore? IN FACT I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT GOD SEEMS TO HAVE CHANGED HIS MIND ABOUT HIS BIBLES ALL TO OFTEN. First there was The ORIGINAL HEBREW BIBLE, WHICH IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THAN THE NEW, AND OLD TESTAMENTS, WHICH ALSO DOES NOT INCLUDE SATAN OR HELL IN ITS SCRIPTURES AT ALL, IN FACT LUCIFER TO THEM IS STILL GODS MOST BELOVED ANGEL, AND HE IS STILL IN HEAVEN TO THIS DAY. Then there became the Old Testament, then the New Test, Oh lets not forget the MORMONS, OH AND HOW ABOUT THE KORAN, FOR THERE BOOK IS DIFFERENT FROM OURS TO,JESUS TO THEM WAS JUST A MAN MOHAMMAD WAS THEIR PROPHET.

Should I keep going, I can Please Let me keep going on and on Forever and Ever, For I have read the Koran, the Holy Bible, The book of Mormon, and many many more. Its all a Load of Control, and the Idea that if Man were alone, he might get upset and Kill himself from Depression.

Oh and one more thing people who talk to God today, are commited into Institutions, they call these people Schizophrenics, they are Insane!!!! thumbsup.gif

Im not trying to be mean Im just pointing out the Facts, its your judgement on whether you want to accpept what I say or not. wink2.gif  

One night I ventured to my wooden rocking chair right outside my back porch, and I looked to the sky in the break of twilight, staring into the dark mirror of space, filled with sands of star dust, colossal supernovas and red giants, strings of wormholes and distant planets beyond my grasp. A place where tiny enigmatic hidden black holes tear through the fabric of space and time which, who knows; may lead into other dimensions and perhaps alternate realities. And as I look up at this heavens mirror which my hands can only reach so far through this looking glass, I felt an odd sensation of something looking back staring into my own eyes, staring into a whole other universe of which I new nothing about until I saw my reflection within it, and in that moment I then knew that the key which open the portal doors to parallel worlds was myself.    "The Eyes of the Universe, Chris Landrum"

#98    moe eubleck

moe eubleck

No need to thank us

• 7,001 posts

• may the horse of Caligula drop one in your senate building.

Posted 24 November 2003 - 04:01 AM

QUOTE (alienmojo @ Nov 24 2003, 12:56 AM)
.  It flourished so heavily because for the first time a God was loving instead of cruel.

The first time? Are you sure? I trust that you are aware of Freyja,  norse goddess of love ? Aphrodite was the Greek goddess of love . Ishtar (also known as Inanna, the Hittite goddess Shaushka, and the Canaanite Astarte and Anat), the Babylonian goddess of love. Venus was the Roman goddess of love .Shiva and Dionysus : Gods of Love and Ecstasy. The list goes on.

Posted Image
Moe's Poetry Corner
Moe's Big Adventure
" Behavior is a function of its consequences, invoked by the antecedant conditions"

#99    KayEl

KayEl

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 01:17 AM

We all have to remember that God also created the greatest evil of the universe: Satan. The Devil, whatever you want to call him.
ph34r.gif  

#100    eddie

eddie

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 30 posts

• What's right, Wears well

Posted 26 November 2003 - 10:36 PM

The simple answer as to why Jesus teachings seemed different than the old testament is that they weren't different, they were more defined.  God sent his son to save us from needing blood sacrifes ever again, Jesus blood was spilled for everyone as the eternal sacrifice. The Ten commandments were not changed. The interpretation  by Gods chosen people was getting out of sorts, some were so concerned about following the law that they forgot the attitude of the law.  For instance, Jesus pointed out that you could obey the law/commandment  concerning adultry by lusting in your heart, but you would be missing the point of the law if you carried that lust in your heart.  All through the old testament God showed the chosen people his miracles, his forgivness and they repeatedly  turned their backs on him. His wrath was because either his people were denied or He was denied.  
Seraphina you do not understand the Bibles teachings so you missinterpret their meanings:

um...you'll find that christianity flourished because of the slaughter and ethnic cleansing of those who refused to convert to it  Not much of god's 'loving nature' in that.

That was man perverting Gos teachings, they paid a heavy penalty, unless they repented.

Christianity has, in fact, exerted such a worldwide following by hypocracy...though the crusades, the dark ages...almost any period of time during which the church was a politically powerful organisation, the general rule was to murder anyone who's beliefs contradicted your own.

This is a very general statement "the general rule was to murder anyone...." Please define your position, show us some examples and I'll show you where MAN perverted Gods word.

He still loves YOU today, he still wants YOU to have eternal life in heaven.  Jesus suffered great humilation, great torture and an agonizing death for YOU.  God through his awesome grace only asks that you not deny Him.

God bless you

The pain of discipline beats than the pain of regret....

#101    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 11:41 PM

Please define your position, show us some examples

You just quoted my examples, buddy tongue.gif I was pointing out that christianity maintained a hold upon the world, and managed to spread so far and wide, because the practitioners of it murdered anyone who's belief's contraditced their own, and who refused to change to christianity.

He still loves YOU today, he still wants YOU to have eternal life in heaven

Since your bible tells us that god has, more than once, murdered innocent people for not conforming to his laws, and brutally punishes the others who don't...he can keep it wink2.gif

If I'm to be damned, then fine, damn me. I'll be damned for being the person I am, and believing what I feel is right and true...not what anyone has told me, against what my own mind and common sense have managed to figure out. If I'm going to miss out on the so called paradise when my only crime is apparant blasphemy, then I'd liken heaven to getting a promotion in work for sleeping with your boss tongue.gif

Posted Image

#102    eddie

eddie

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 30 posts

• What's right, Wears well

Posted 27 November 2003 - 11:13 PM

I'm terribly sorry if my response upset you, you are not damned, you have until your last breath to save your soul.  He will forgive you no matter what you say or do. All you have to do is  admit he died for your sins and ask his forgiveness for your sins. You have all the rest of your life to put the answer together, the only advantage to responding to Him sooner is for a better life here on earth, believe it or not.

My point is that all your examples are of MAN, who perverted Gods word. The old testament is a long list of people ignoring God's word.  He NEVER, EVER killed an INNOCENT, some would think Moses was innocent, yet he forgot what his place was in authority.......

The pain of discipline beats than the pain of regret....

#103    Ruthie

Ruthie

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

• Life after death? -Yes, please!

Posted 28 November 2003 - 08:24 PM

I think it is possible!

If the God is almighty he can decide to reduce his "lifting-power" and then create a rock so heavy that he can't lift it. Easy!

Am I smart or what!!?? Ok, absolutely NO NEED to answer that one..  In fact please don't!  original.gif   LOL!!

Know the limitations within yourself.....

grin2.gif original.gif  original.gif  original.gif   original.gif grin2.gif  original.gif   original.gif grin2.gif original.gif  original.gif  original.gif  original.gif grin2.gif original.gif  original.gif   original.gif grin2.gif

When I was coming up, it was a dangerous world, and you knew exactly who they were. It was us vs. them, and it was clear who them was. Today, we are not so sure who the they are, but we know they're there.

Quote George W. Bush.

#104    TheLight

TheLight

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE (Ruthie @ Nov 28 2003, 07:24 PM)
I think it is possible!

If the God is almighty he can decide to reduce his "lifting-power" and then create a rock so heavy that he can't lift it. Easy!

Am I smart or what!!?? Ok, absolutely NO NEED to answer that one..  In fact please don't!  original.gif   LOL!!

Know the limitations within yourself.....

grin2.gif original.gif  original.gif  original.gif   original.gif grin2.gif  original.gif   original.gif grin2.gif original.gif  original.gif  original.gif  original.gif grin2.gif original.gif  original.gif   original.gif grin2.gif

Sorry but I'll reply anyway just because your is wrong. You added an extra parameter in this problem: the will of God. If he reduces his powers that means he doesn't want to lift it. And the question wasn't if he wanted to but if he could. That has already pointed out earlier by the way.

#105    bathory

bathory

Alien Abducter

• 5,302 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 03:25 AM

Incidence of Cruelty and Violence in the Bible
Incidence of Intolerance within the Bible

the Christian God is a psychopathic schitzophreniac.....he reminds me of Gollum/Smeagol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users