Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 7 votes

PSI -vs- SCI

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
523 replies to this topic

#496    The Skeptic Eric Raven

The Skeptic Eric Raven

Master Blaster

• 11,067 posts

• One day love will find me.....

Posted 14 October 2007 - 07:54 PM

So, seriously, Eric, what's it to you if somebody comes on a discussion forum and reports something you doubt? You state your own view, and then go looking for someone who's posting something you are more interested in.

Isn't that more-or-less the point of a place like this?

The point is don't come here and make fantastical claims and not expect the public to question you. It is apparent you have not been here long. We get psi kiddies daily for the last 3 years I have been here making these silly claims. What do you expect us to say?

........the sleeper has awoken!
Sometimes we need a kick in the butt to wake us up. Well, I'm up now!Boo ya.

...there are many things in life that will capture your eye, but very few will capture your heart. These are the ones to pursue. These are the ones worth keeping..."

#497    eight bits

eight bits

• 7,641 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:06 AM

The point is don't come here and make fantastical claims and not expect the public to question you.

I agree that if someone makes a claim, that is, requests or demands that someone else believe in something, then the claimant should expect to be questioned about the request.

On the other hand, if someone reports what they have experienced, then the witness has the option of doing so on a "believe it or not" basis.

It is apparent you have not been here long.

I have been a member here for about five months. How long before that I may have been a reader is, with all respect, none of anybody else's business.

We get psi kiddies daily for the last 3 years I have been here making these silly claims.

And so, you feel singled out that some behavior by those younger than you annoys you?

That is the human condition. Always and everywhere.

This is a discussion forum. There is no material malice here. Nobody is injured, no property is destroyed. Somebody who says that they are of a certain age says something that you would not say. So what?

What do you expect us to say?

As I wrote in earlier posts:

You write "Sorry, I do not believe your claims. If you provide evidence, then I shall reconsider my opinion."

You state your own view, and then go looking for someone who's posting something you are more interested in.

Or, you might consider the following.

Whatever you think of New Age thought generally, I recommend to you a maxim of theirs that is spot on. What you resist, persists.

The principal gratification that a non-commerical phony poster gets out of lying here is the fun and sport of provoking your predictable response. And you oblige, in spades, every time, like clockwork.

If you make no response at all, then you will get fewer time wasting posts. "Psi kiddies" and other pranksters will look elsewhere for their fun.

The social dynamics is not complicated. Use it.

Posted Image

#498    Kevin A.

Kevin A.

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:40 PM

Whatever you think of New Age thought generally, I recommend to you a maxim of theirs that is spot on. What you resist, persists.

The principal gratification that a non-commerical phony poster gets out of lying here is the fun and sport of provoking your predictable response. And you oblige, in spades, every time, like clockwork.

If you make no response at all, then you will get fewer time wasting posts. "Psi kiddies" and other pranksters will look elsewhere for their fun.

The social dynamics is not complicated. Use it.

Well Eight bits you have to realize that only some of the people coming here claiming super powers are pranksters. I would say that a good portion of those that come here claiming these super powers really do believe, for one reason or another, that these things are real and that they have certain special abilities. Mind you whether they are lying to themselves about these abilities and whether these lies soon become their reality is up for debate.

You say we should write “Sorry, I do believe you claim. If you provide evidence, then I shall reconsider my opinion”. In actuality this is exactly what we are saying. Sometimes it takes on a harsh tone. Sometimes it takes on a joking or sarcastic tone. Sometimes it can be straight to the point. Regradless of the form our response includes just what you have suggested. Also there a few of us, including me, that like to ramble. We like to expound on the ideas of “Sorry, I do not believe” and “Here is how to make me reconsider”.

Short answers like your example are not going to work with some of these claimants. They will most likely consider us just another person being short with them or not bothering to do anything but say “No”. We take the time to explain the why of our answers instead of just throwing the short answer out there. The claimant comes here and presents their claim. We present our stance and explain why it is what it is. Then the claimant should come back and discuss why they have their stance not just the hit and run here is my super power postings. Let the discussion take form and roll on from there.

Also, we skeptics get complained about enough when we take the time to explain our stance and how it could be changed. Exactly how is that going to improve if all we say is a two sentence response? I can see the complaints now “Is that all you skeptics ever say”, “Don’t you have anything useful to say” or the like. Those things are said now when we explain things. It will only get worse should we use so short a response.

Some of us here also feel that maybe it is in the best interest of humanity as a whole that we constantly explain the whys and hows. You ask who put us in charge of educating these kids? No one really but if they are not finding such things at home, in school or anywhere else why should we allow it to continue here? Why should we not show them the lack of proof, the irrational though, the lie or any other part of it? Should we not advise them on how to make a decision, how to think rationally, think through it logically, look at all the facts or look to science for the answers? We explain the whys and hows in the hope that they get it and use it, not just here,  but in all aspects of their life.

Then we have to think of this. What has happened to the forums that have not allowed skeptics or have limited the response options of skeptics? Go take a look around the net and you will soon see. The place becomes overrun with nonsense and is only kept going through believers talking to other believers about their newly discovered, I just made it up right this second super power or the place dies because no solid discussion is to be found. I don’t think anyone here wants anything to happen with the UM forums. This place keeps going strong because of the mix of the curious, the questioning, the skeptic, the believer etc. It’s the discussions that we all have that makes this place what it is.

If you come here with a claim that you can a special super power you are going to be questioned. If you come here claiming to be a believer of a special super power you are going to be questioned. Let the believers get questioned and let us discuss. Let the skeptics get questioned and let us discuss. We all need to present our knowledge, beliefs and opinions here but I do not think anyone should be limited or limit themselves to two sentences.

Like I said, some of us like to ramble…..

Kevin A.

#499    eight bits

eight bits

• 7,641 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:58 PM

No, Kevin, you write good stuff. I think everybody here agrees about that.

I think you underestimate the prankster-to-delusional ratio in the "problem posts." I especially think you underestimate the discrimination of the regulars here who follow these topics, but who are not hardcore sceptics. They can tell when something is "off," just as you can.

What's the worst that can happen? Nobody can complain if you ignore a post, lol. And if you toss off a polite dismissal of something that others think is interesting? Well, there is no penalty for revisiting the issue when someone suggests that you have been hasty.

If a post raises some interesting issues, then of course you should discuss it. But let's face it, a lot of these posts don't raise any issues - it is obvious what is going on.

If someone watches a cartoon or reads a comic book, and on that basis sincerely believes that they have superpowers - do you really think you can "save" this person? Is that even your job?

Posted Image

#500    Jjbreen

Jjbreen

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 3,868 posts

• Time is the teller of all tales great and small.

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:50 PM

Obviously as everyone can see --- the thread is back!! grin2.gif

Thanks to Saruman and his quick resolution, it is very much appreciated!!  clap.gif

#501    The Skeptic Eric Raven

The Skeptic Eric Raven

Master Blaster

• 11,067 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:56 PM

If someone watches a cartoon or reads a comic book, and on that basis sincerely believes that they have superpowers - do you really think you can "save" this person?

No, but perhaps they will think again before posting such silliness.

...there are many things in life that will capture your eye, but very few will capture your heart. These are the ones to pursue. These are the ones worth keeping..."

#502    Derac Smi

Derac Smi

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 59 posts

• Hello World !

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:17 PM

The thread's back! Thanks SaruMan!

"If someone watches a cartoon or reads a comic book, and on that basis sincerely believes that they have superpowers,,,"~ mr byte

believing, reasoning, ego, alter ego, id, and what-have-you's, they're all part of the human mind by design are they not?
I admit that the brain and it's functions is finite and confined within the physical, but the mind is just endless! I pride my
self for being human just for this reason alone (of course there's a lot more reason though ; p).

More power byte!

Crede, ut intelligas!

#503    drakonwick

drakonwick

Government Agent

• 4,198 posts

• There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:21 PM

Well Eight bits you have to realize that only some of the people coming here claiming super powers are pranksters. I would say that a good portion of those that come here claiming these super powers really do believe, for one reason or another, that these things are real and that they have certain special abilities. Mind you whether they are lying to themselves about these abilities and whether these lies soon become their reality is up for debate.

You say we should write “Sorry, I do believe you claim. If you provide evidence, then I shall reconsider my opinion”. In actuality this is exactly what we are saying. Sometimes it takes on a harsh tone. Sometimes it takes on a joking or sarcastic tone. Sometimes it can be straight to the point. Regradless of the form our response includes just what you have suggested. Also there a few of us, including me, that like to ramble. We like to expound on the ideas of “Sorry, I do not believe” and “Here is how to make me reconsider”.

Short answers like your example are not going to work with some of these claimants. They will most likely consider us just another person being short with them or not bothering to do anything but say “No”. We take the time to explain the why of our answers instead of just throwing the short answer out there. The claimant comes here and presents their claim. We present our stance and explain why it is what it is. Then the claimant should come back and discuss why they have their stance not just the hit and run here is my super power postings. Let the discussion take form and roll on from there.

Also, we skeptics get complained about enough when we take the time to explain our stance and how it could be changed. Exactly how is that going to improve if all we say is a two sentence response? I can see the complaints now “Is that all you skeptics ever say”, “Don’t you have anything useful to say” or the like. Those things are said now when we explain things. It will only get worse should we use so short a response.

Some of us here also feel that maybe it is in the best interest of humanity as a whole that we constantly explain the whys and hows. You ask who put us in charge of educating these kids? No one really but if they are not finding such things at home, in school or anywhere else why should we allow it to continue here? Why should we not show them the lack of proof, the irrational though, the lie or any other part of it? Should we not advise them on how to make a decision, how to think rationally, think through it logically, look at all the facts or look to science for the answers? We explain the whys and hows in the hope that they get it and use it, not just here,  but in all aspects of their life.

Then we have to think of this. What has happened to the forums that have not allowed skeptics or have limited the response options of skeptics? Go take a look around the net and you will soon see. The place becomes overrun with nonsense and is only kept going through believers talking to other believers about their newly discovered, I just made it up right this second super power or the place dies because no solid discussion is to be found. I don’t think anyone here wants anything to happen with the UM forums. This place keeps going strong because of the mix of the curious, the questioning, the skeptic, the believer etc. It’s the discussions that we all have that makes this place what it is.

If you come here with a claim that you can a special super power you are going to be questioned. If you come here claiming to be a believer of a special super power you are going to be questioned. Let the believers get questioned and let us discuss. Let the skeptics get questioned and let us discuss. We all need to present our knowledge, beliefs and opinions here but I do not think anyone should be limited or limit themselves to two sentences.

Like I said, some of us like to ramble…..

Kevin A.

No, Kevin, you write good stuff. I think everybody here agrees about that.

I think you underestimate the prankster-to-delusional ratio in the "problem posts." I especially think you underestimate the discrimination of the regulars here who follow these topics, but who are not hardcore sceptics. They can tell when something is "off," just as you can.

What's the worst that can happen? Nobody can complain if you ignore a post, lol. And if you toss off a polite dismissal of something that others think is interesting? Well, there is no penalty for revisiting the issue when someone suggests that you have been hasty.

If a post raises some interesting issues, then of course you should discuss it. But let's face it, a lot of these posts don't raise any issues - it is obvious what is going on.

If someone watches a cartoon or reads a comic book, and on that basis sincerely believes that they have superpowers - do you really think you can "save" this person? Is that even your job?

Seriously you two! This is an open forum. People can express whatever they feel about any topic on this forum,
as long as it falls within the rules and, guidelines of this forum.

Making a short statement or a long drawn out one on trying to discourage some of these people that come on here
making wild claims is not going to make a difference either way. Most of them are adamant about their beliefs!
And, when questioned politely or sternly, the results are usually the same, with them ending up rambling on about
how they have nothing to prove. Etc...

Anyway back on topic! So, Jj! Is TKmaster going to accept this challenge or bow out? It should be interesting either way.

Edited by Tom R, 15 October 2007 - 06:24 PM.

I remember the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says: "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." I suppose we all thought that, one way or another." - J. Robert Oppenheimer.

#504    Jjbreen

Jjbreen

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 3,868 posts

• Time is the teller of all tales great and small.

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:28 AM

Anyway back on topic! So, Jj! Is TKmaster going to accept this challenge or bow out? It should be interesting either way.

I have no idea at this point??

TelekinesisMaster --- R U going to take the challenge?

#505    TelekenisisMaster

TelekenisisMaster

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:15 PM

I have no idea at this point??

TelekinesisMaster --- R U going to take the challenge?

yes but...

you say that i should need a plastic table...but i don't have one...

Telekenisis is for real you can't use it by a machine thats mother nature!

#506    The Skeptic Eric Raven

The Skeptic Eric Raven

Master Blaster

• 11,067 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:30 PM

yes but...

Find one. It is going to take a little effort.

#507    TelekenisisMaster

TelekenisisMaster

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:59 PM

Find one. It is going to take a little effort.

I don't want to buy one xD

and i dont have the money for one...

Edited by TelekenisisMaster, 17 October 2007 - 09:59 PM.

Telekenisis is for real you can't use it by a machine thats mother nature!

#508    The Skeptic Eric Raven

The Skeptic Eric Raven

Master Blaster

• 11,067 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:01 PM

I don't want to buy one xD

and i dont have the money for one...

Dude if you can really do TK. Take it on the road and make the big bucks. OR
Go to a science teacher in your area and let them do the experiment. Don't try to find a way out of it.

#509    SS79

SS79

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:11 PM

yes but...

Maybe a friend would be kind enough to let you use one . if you promise that they will get it back after  you become  famous of course  grin2.gif  <--- j/k

good luck

SS79 ***

#510    GetBornAgain

GetBornAgain

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 85 posts

• All I Know is that I don't know.

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:27 PM

I believe whether scientific or not EVERYTHING exists and can happen.There is no possibility no matter how "out there" it sounds that doesn't exist, ...

I agree with this simply for the fact that we exist. It's like the monkeys and the type writters. It's inconcievable that they would ever be able to write a shakespear play or whatever, but when you add infninty in to the equation what's stopping them?

Off topic i know however I found BNW's post interesting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users