Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Born in the Wrong Time Period

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#46    Genocyde

Genocyde

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

• There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Posted 04 January 2007 - 10:51 PM

Alright, this is probably going to sound kinda stupid, but I very stronly feel like I was born in the wrong time period. Like I should have been born in a time like the late 1800's or early 1900's. I just don't feel like I belong in 2006. My friends all say that it's stupid to want to be born back then, because all women could do was cook and clean and all that junk, but I really don't mind living a simple life like that. Is it possible that people can be born in the wrong time period? Anybody else feel like this?

i feel like this all the time, I feel i should have been born in ancient Egypt, i dont care if they had no technology or medicine or anything like that, i feel a very strong connection with ancient egypt, and i wish i could have at least seen it. sad.gif

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
--H.P. Lovecraft

In the absence of willpower the most complete collection of virtues and talents is wholly worthless.
--Aleister Crowley

#47    Genocyde

Genocyde

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

• There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Posted 04 January 2007 - 10:51 PM

double post......

Edited by Satans Adherent, 04 January 2007 - 10:52 PM.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
--H.P. Lovecraft

In the absence of willpower the most complete collection of virtues and talents is wholly worthless.
--Aleister Crowley

#48    Cadetak

Cadetak

Defender of the Universe

• 6,371 posts

• Sometimes It's Darkest Just Before Dawn

Posted 06 January 2007 - 04:56 AM

Are we born into the wrong time periods or do we just desire to be?

Edited by Cadetak47, 06 January 2007 - 10:38 AM.

Between Red Team and Blue Team I stand colorblind

Posted Image

"The opposite of the religious fanatic is not the fanatical atheist but the gentle cynic who cares not whether there is a god or not."-Eric Hoffer

#49    Twin Peaks

Twin Peaks

Poltergeist

• 2,948 posts

• I have no idea where this will lead us. But I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.

Posted 10 February 2007 - 03:58 PM

I have always felt that i should have been born in the baroque period. I would love it. :0) I don't feel i belong in this 2007 crazy world.

Edited by Dark_Ambient, 10 February 2007 - 03:59 PM.

Posted Image

#50    Twin Peaks

Twin Peaks

Poltergeist

• 2,948 posts

• I have no idea where this will lead us. But I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.

Posted 10 February 2007 - 04:04 PM

Longing for the past is called medievalism. It might have a more scientific name but it means that you don't want to walk along with the future. You are content with the way things are. Hard core medievalismists desire to live in the past. Such personalities rarely buy new books. They buy old ones. They hardely ever watch new movies. They only watch old ones. You will never see them in a mall buying new clothes either. I am actualy one of these people. But im the kind who gets comfortable in the present which lasts for a few years and then i finally change my ways a little to adjust to the way things are now if you know what i mean.

Posted Image

#51    Joke_Master_Mandy

Joke_Master_Mandy

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 297 posts

• I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum. And I'm all out of ass.

Posted 10 February 2007 - 05:35 PM

Longing for the past is called medievalism. It might have a more scientific name but it means that you don't want to walk along with the future. You are content with the way things are. Hard core medievalismists desire to live in the past. Such personalities rarely buy new books. They buy old ones. They hardely ever watch new movies. They only watch old ones. You will never see them in a mall buying new clothes either. I am actualy one of these people. But im the kind who gets comfortable in the present which lasts for a few years and then i finally change my ways a little to adjust to the way things are now if you know what i mean.

That's pretty much me, 'cept for the whole buying new clothes part. It's good to know I'm not alone with this feeling. I probably get it from my mom constantly screaming "technology will be the end of us!" coupled with all the depressing things you hear about on the news, about how it's the end of the world and we're getting taken over by 20 countries who are gonna kill most of us and keep the rest of us as slaves. Like I said I just really feel such a strong connection with Victorian era England. I guess it's probably because I'm a more laid back person who likes a simple life. I would never like to live in a place like a big city with a high stress fast paced lifestyle. I just like to keep things simple. I guess you could say I like to kick it old school. I'm just strange like that.

It wasn't me! My Body Thetans made me do it!

#52    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 10 February 2007 - 05:51 PM

I think that it all depends on your station in life in your given time frame... Victorian life would be great if you were one of the priveledged few that only had to worry about entertaining and keeping control of the house staff, it would be an entirely different matter if you worked in a coal mine for pennies a day, lived in a hovel without running water and rarely bathed. Right now you have access to most of lifes good things and in the grand scheme are priveledged. Imagine being in India as the lower caste who make mud bricks 14 hours a day 7 days a week for pennies and are always on the edge of starving. Times change, but the spectrum of poverty to priveledge always remains...

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#53    cladking

cladking

Telekinetic

• 7,206 posts

• Tempus fugit.

Posted 10 February 2007 - 07:52 PM

I'd have fit right in in pre-history especially living near the edge of civilization
and having a foot on each side.  My strenghts would have been far more important
and my weaknesses insignificant.  

There's great change about to broadside the species.  Perhaps I can be useful yet.

Men fear the pyramid, time fears man.

#54    m. Moe

m. Moe

UMs Official Fiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

• I'm that evil voice in your head that tells you to burn things.

Posted 10 February 2007 - 07:56 PM

Actually we are very lucky to live in a time like this. But I also do feel the same way as you sometimes.

Posted Image
Signature by the_scorpian
"Sweet lovely death, I'm waiting for your breath, come sweet death one last caress"
Congrats, you found my subliminal message. Now pat yourself on the back and stop highlighting my signature

#55    undersquiggle

undersquiggle

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 74 posts

• Reality > 49%

Posted 11 February 2007 - 06:00 AM

sometimes i feel like i was born way to late. i wish i lived in Feudal Japan. My reasons are because there was so much more emphasis on being honorable, and i don't mean for this to some off weird but i like the spiritual beliefs of that era as well. the physical aspects also attract me to that specific time period because war in that time period was a personal matter. if you were a soldier you had to be close enough to smell their sweat in comparison with today guns. the ways that battles were fought were different as well. i would rather live in that time than have to walk down the street with some of these kids who dress like "Gangsters"(no not gangstas you grammatical butchers) and think that its cool to carry a gun, or rob some one. no honor is left in todays society except for a very few people, and it makes me a little depressed sometimes.

Edited by undersquiggle, 11 February 2007 - 06:01 AM.

Is it that I am violent, or merely uninhibited?

#56    Joke_Master_Mandy

Joke_Master_Mandy

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 297 posts

• I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum. And I'm all out of ass.

Posted 11 February 2007 - 06:33 AM

i would rather live in that time than have to walk down the street with some of these kids who dress like "Gangsters"(no not gangstas you grammatical butchers) and think that its cool to carry a gun, or rob some one. no honor is left in todays society except for a very few people, and it makes me a little depressed sometimes.

I couldn't agree with you more. I can't stand when people talk with that yo, yo, yo dis is ma hood bullcrap. They act like it's cool to be unintelligent and talk like a foul-mouthed 4 year old. One of my teachers made a comment that the average teenager today has a vocabulary of about 10 words and 5 of them curses. Which scarily enough is somewhat true. You just don't know how bad it ticks me off seeing the way todays culture embraces stupidity. Seriously, this country just keeps getting dumber and dumber. We just keep lowering education standards further and further to accomodate unintelligent people. I remember watching George Carlin perform one night and he said "The way our education system is going all you'll need to get into college is a f***ing pencil!" Sadly, he speaks the truth.

It wasn't me! My Body Thetans made me do it!

#57    cladking

cladking

Telekinetic

• 7,206 posts

• Tempus fugit.

Posted 11 February 2007 - 04:20 PM

I couldn't agree with you more. I can't stand when people talk with that yo, yo, yo dis is ma hood bullcrap. They act like it's cool to be unintelligent and talk like a foul-mouthed 4 year old. One of my teachers made a comment that the average teenager today has a vocabulary of about 10 words and 5 of them curses. Which scarily enough is somewhat true. You just don't know how bad it ticks me off seeing the way todays culture embraces stupidity. Seriously, this country just keeps getting dumber and dumber. We just keep lowering education standards further and further to accomodate unintelligent people. I remember watching George Carlin perform one night and he said "The way our education system is going all you'll need to get into college is a f***ing pencil!" Sadly, he speaks the truth.

Getting  a handle on our educational system needs to be a very high priority.

We need to stop teaching things as fact that are mere supposition and this
especially applies to the rantings of the "father of psychology".  We need to
instill personal responsibility.  Subjects need to be taught not as discreet
fields of learning but part of a greater whole.  Specialization should complete-
ly give over to generalization before about 10th grade and very few children
should be encouraged to specialize.  Every student should take every class  
but they can be split into two levels to accomodate the needs of different
students in higher grades.  

Large schools should abandon the whole "grade concept".  It makes no sense
to split an education into 12 separate grades when you have 100 teachers.  
With the current system everyone is passed on no matter how poorly they do.
With learning broken down into smaller units it would no be traumatic to hold
a student back to repeat the 3 week long grade 56.  If kids know they have to
learn the material, they'll try harder and it will help learn responsibility.  

Machine intelligence is going to change the human race. It will help to prepare.

Men fear the pyramid, time fears man.

#58    undersquiggle

undersquiggle

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 74 posts

• Reality > 49%

Posted 11 February 2007 - 10:23 PM

i totally agree. i had a problem in my architectural classes as well as most of my science classes. i would do all my work, then get bored with it because i knew most of what he was already teaching. i wanted to be in a higher class in both areas (physics, and architectural drafting) but they wouldn't let me even take the needed tests to prove that i knew it. they really need to change that.

Is it that I am violent, or merely uninhibited?

#59    Skeet Ulrich

Skeet Ulrich

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 06:49 AM

I feel like I should have been born a little earlier to experience the early to mid 90s as a teenager or adult.

#60    Cadetak

Cadetak

Defender of the Universe

• 6,371 posts

• Sometimes It's Darkest Just Before Dawn

Posted 24 February 2007 - 11:25 AM

I should have bin born in the future...can't be a space pirate in this day and age. ::sigh::

Between Red Team and Blue Team I stand colorblind

Posted Image

"The opposite of the religious fanatic is not the fanatical atheist but the gentle cynic who cares not whether there is a god or not."-Eric Hoffer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users