Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Asteroid Apophis - Collision with Earth 2036?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    Silentom

Silentom

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

• Đąřќ ۞ Ŵıźẵŗď™

Posted 16 December 2006 - 03:39 PM

I know that if one of these asteroids hit our planet the devistation will be horrid!
But i just cant help but be awe struck by the sheer destruction they cause almost unimaginable!

I just wondered if anyone else on here likes watching these almost breath taking video's, and would like to talk about,
what would happen if such a thing was to come around and we new about it years in advance before the asteroids collision?

Anyway here is a link to a good impact video - Asteroid Impact

#2    Bella-Angelique

Bella-Angelique

Caprica Six Cylon

• 7,174 posts

• There is more to learn

Posted 16 December 2006 - 05:09 PM

I think if it were harnessed for use that it would be an awesome weapon. It would be almost impossible for others to know that anyone had used it as a weapon also. It would be seen as an act of God or nature, depending on the perspective.

Posted Image

#3    Silentom

Silentom

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

• Đąřќ ۞ Ŵıźẵŗď™

Posted 16 December 2006 - 05:45 PM

I think if it were harnessed for use that it would be an awesome weapon. It would be almost impossible for others to know that anyone had used it as a weapon also. It would be seen as an act of God or nature, depending on the perspective.

I never really looked at it as being used as a weapon! WOW that just puts it into a whole new perspective!
In trying to imagine the technology it would take to control such objects i feel that this will never happen atleast in many years to come!
But as far as using asteroids as a weapon is concerned it would work until someone leaked out the secret technology.

Edited by Silentom, 16 December 2006 - 05:46 PM.

#4    Bella-Angelique

Bella-Angelique

Caprica Six Cylon

• 7,174 posts

• There is more to learn

Posted 16 December 2006 - 06:01 PM

In trying to imagine the technology it would take to control such objects

They are supposed to be working on tech now to change the trajectory of asteroids.
I think it is Russia and the USA doing it, but I do not recall at this moment.

Posted Image

#5    Silentom

Silentom

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

• Đąřќ ۞ Ŵıźẵŗď™

Posted 16 December 2006 - 09:57 PM

They are supposed to be working on tech now to change the trajectory of asteroids.
I think it is Russia and the USA doing it, but I do not recall at this moment.

I think you read this article The Asteroid Tractor
Astronauts propose a nuclear-powered spaceship to tow away space rocks bound for Earth

By David Kohn | January 2006

An asteroid as big as a stadium is heading toward Earth. The impact could obliterate an area the size of Delaware. What to do? The stock answer usually involves nuclear missiles, robotic impactors or some other aggressive technique. But such methods may well fall short. Even after the asteroid was blown up, large chunks could still strike Earth.
Now NASA astronauts Edward Lu and Stanley Love have come up with a much gentler solution. They argue that the killer asteroid could be eased off its collision course simply by applying gravity.

Their plan calls for an unmanned spacecraft called a "gravitational tractor" to hover near the asteroid for a period of months or years. The small gravitational force exerted on the asteroid by the vehicle—perhaps as little as a quarter of a pound—would be enough to nudge the rock into a slightly different orbit, averting a crack-up. "You just want to hang there and let the spacecraft gradually adjust the asteroid’s course," Love says.

For example, to deflect a 700-foot asteroid, the astronauts envision a 20-ton nuclear-powered spacecraft shaped like a pendulum, with the heaviest part closest to the asteroid. This arrangement will produce the greatest gravitational force and will also help keep the ship stable as it hovers next to the asteroid.p> But the first real-world test might involve a much bigger asteroid known as 99942 Apophis, which is between 1,000 and 1,300 feet long and weighs perhaps 50 million tons. There is a very small chance—from 1 in 5,000 to 1 in 10,000—that this massive rock will hit Earth in 2036. Love and Lu say that if a gravitational tractor were sent up before 2029, when the asteroid will make a close pass to Earth, the job would be relatively easy, requiring just a one-ton spacecraft to make the necessary small adjustment in Apophis’s trajectory. "It’s like changing the angle of a bank shot in pool," Love says. "A little change early on has a large effect down the line."

Link - Asteroid Tractor

#6    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:39 PM

Not sure if this has been posted before.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/space/article/0,...1660485,00.html

Scientists are monitoring the progress of a 390-metre wide asteroid discovered last year that is potentially on a collision course with the planet, and are imploring governments to decide on a strategy for dealing with it.

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#7    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,085 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:54 PM

There's always a list of a dozen or more large asteroids set to collide with Earth; as they continue to approach they're courses are continually reassesed and are usually no longer deemed a threat.

I predict the same will happen with this one, it's nothing new. But then, you never know...

#8    Cinders

Cinders

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:29 PM

I recently watched a show that aired on MSNBC recently called: Countdown to Doomsday
It originally aired early 2006.
It is about what could cause Doomsday on Planet Earth, can we prevent it and what about the future?
It went over the 10 threats, and 10 solutions

It started with Volcanoes as the #10 threat..
The #1 threat was Deep Impact and it mentions the asteroid "Apophis"

I uploaded the video bit here:
Countdown to Doomsday - Deep Impact

Edited by Cinders, 21 February 2007 - 02:30 PM.

"We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it's forever." ~Carl Sagan

#9    Owlscrying

Owlscrying

• 13,909 posts

•    

Posted 27 February 2007 - 08:54 PM

Circle your calendar. April 13th, 2036 could be a really, really bad day on planet Earth.

A group of astronauts and engineers warns that an asteroid may pass uncomfortably close to Earth that day. The chances it will actually hit are just one in 45,000, but even at those odds, the scientists warn, the United Nations should consider a response
The scientists met this past weekend in San Francisco to discuss the potential threats asteroids pose to the Earth and what can be done to prevent a possible collision.

Most feared is Apophis, a large asteroid that will pass within 10,000 miles of Earth around 2029 and even closer in 2036.

Dr. Dan Barry, a retired astronaut, told ABC News, "Even if the probability is low of an asteroid hitting Earth, if it has the potential to have a significant impact, then it has to be looked at. It is the absolutely responsible thing to do. In fact, it would be irresponsible not to do so."

Barry said more research is needed so that when a potentially dangerous asteroid is found, there is a plan in place. He said it is therefore important to start the search for asteroids now, to allow enough time to effectively deal with them.

Scientists believe that if advance warnings of dangerous asteroids like Apophis can be made decades in advance, there will be enough time to try and knock them off course.

Nobody knows for sure what it would take to push a massive asteroid off its course, but the theoretical possibilities include detonating weapons on an asteroid's surface or using gravitational pull to alter a possible collision course.

But it could also break an asteroid into many pieces, all still headed toward Earth.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Science/story?id=2885820

#10    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:17 PM

There have been several intersting posts on this asteroid and the potential threat so I have merged them into one topic.

-Waspie_Dwarf

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users