Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is the universe finite?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1    Altheia

Altheia

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 03:02 PM

A cosmic hall of mirrors

Feature: September 2005

Most astronomers think that the universe is infinite, but recent measurements suggest that it could be finite and relatively small. Indeed, as Jean-Pierre Luminet describes, we could be living in an exotic universe shaped rather like a football

At a Glance: Cosmic topology

• There are three possibilities for the curvature of the universe: space can be flat, spherical or hyperbolic
• The geometry of the universe depends on its curvature and also on its topology, which governs the way space is connected and so determines if it is finite or infinite
• Measurements of the cosmic microwave background constrain the curvature of the universe and provide hints about its topology
• Recent data suggest that the universe might be multiply connected, like the left- and right-hand sides of the screen in a computer game
• Since the early 1990s the number of cosmo-topologists around the world has grown to more than 50

full article: http://physicsweb.org/articles/world/18/9/3

#2    Isis2200

Isis2200

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 12:01 AM

A cosmic hall of mirrors

Feature: September 2005

Most astronomers think that the universe is infinite, but recent measurements suggest that it could be finite and relatively small. Indeed, as Jean-Pierre Luminet describes, we could be living in an exotic universe shaped rather like a football

At a Glance: Cosmic topology

• There are three possibilities for the curvature of the universe: space can be flat, spherical or hyperbolic
• The geometry of the universe depends on its curvature and also on its topology, which governs the way space is connected and so determines if it is finite or infinite
• Measurements of the cosmic microwave background constrain the curvature of the universe and provide hints about its topology
• Recent data suggest that the universe might be multiply connected, like the left- and right-hand sides of the screen in a computer game
• Since the early 1990s the number of cosmo-topologists around the world has grown to more than 50

full article: http://physicsweb.org/articles/world/18/9/3

Hi Altheia:  Interesting data.   original.gif

I believe the universe is finite, but that's just my opinion.

http://ashiana.conforums.com/index.cgi

~ Isis

#3    Sun Raven

Sun Raven

Alpha & Omega

• 1,637 posts

• I am the master of my fate.
    I am the captain of my soul

Posted 21 December 2006 - 06:06 PM

The universe is finite. Space is infinite. If space was finite we would se the same stars and galaxies on the right and on the left.

Edited by Ghostkol, 21 December 2006 - 06:07 PM.

Posted Image

Sun Raven

#4    Unforgiven

Unforgiven

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 290 posts

• "I don't know the answers but neither do you" - A7X

Posted 23 December 2006 - 11:08 AM

The universe is infinite.

Posted Image
Unforgiven Studios
Unforgiven Studios -new-
Online Flash/Java Games. Downloadable Offline games. Game tools
The Official Site of Backlash. Version 1.5 Released.
xMOD 3D Version 0.2 -BETA- (coming much later)

#5    Altheia

Altheia

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 12:16 PM

but how can something infinite grow? which is what the universe is doing according to the majority of respectable scientists.

#6    Sun Raven

Sun Raven

Alpha & Omega

• 1,637 posts

• I am the master of my fate.
    I am the captain of my soul

Posted 23 December 2006 - 05:08 PM

but how can something infinite grow? which is what the universe is doing according to the majority of respectable scientists.

Posted Image

Sun Raven

#7    king_ivan

king_ivan

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 07:16 AM

I believe it is infinite.. how can it grow if they cant even measure its parameters? Even if it was finite what could possibly be outside it?.. Its unimaginable

#8    Cadetak

Cadetak

Defender of the Universe

• 6,371 posts

• Sometimes It's Darkest Just Before Dawn

Posted 30 December 2006 - 04:58 AM

The stars, planets, moons, asteroids, etc. are all finite, there is a certain amount of them out there...there isn't an infinite number of stars in the universe. The empty space is infinite though...the planets and stars are just moving further into the infinite emptiness.

Between Red Team and Blue Team I stand colorblind

Posted Image

"The opposite of the religious fanatic is not the fanatical atheist but the gentle cynic who cares not whether there is a god or not."-Eric Hoffer

#9    arkland

arkland

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

• "There is no evil"

Posted 01 January 2007 - 09:30 PM

Sorry annie WRONG!!! happy.gif

#10    Clobhair-cean

Clobhair-cean

Psychic Spy

• 1,145 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 09:19 AM

This is the basis of infiniteness... If a finite set of objects constantly gains a new object every now and then it is infinite because it does not end. It's like with numbers: 1+1+1+1+1+1.... and on and on forever. Or, the universe is finite, but its far too big for human comprehension (I can't even full comprehend the distance between Munich and Budapest and I'm not that obtuse)

#11    Altheia

Altheia

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 12:29 PM

This is the basis of infiniteness... If a finite set of objects constantly gains a new object every now and then it is infinite because it does not end. It's like with numbers: 1+1+1+1+1+1.... and on and on forever. Or, the universe is finite, but its far too big for human comprehension (I can't even full comprehend the distance between Munich and Budapest and I'm not that obtuse)

You're saying that it could grow to infiniteness. That could be yes. Untill it implodes or whatever. But in order to know that something grows you first have to know it's measurements. So if it's infinite it cannot grow, yet our universe seems to. So following that logic that would mean the universe is finit.

Edited by Altheia, 02 January 2007 - 12:31 PM.

#12    Adam2006

Adam2006

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

• From the seed of doubt grows the tree of fear- me

Posted 02 January 2007 - 01:13 PM

There was a very good article in the newscientist magazine on it, however  you have to pay for the magazine and the article online sad.gif I have it but i'm not typing but 4 pages of text tongue.gif . It gives diagrams and everything.

Don't click here....

The things hardest to see are often the things right in front of you

Posted Image

#13    artymoon

artymoon

Human

• 2,551 posts

• "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." George Washington

Posted 02 January 2007 - 01:21 PM

The universe is finite. Space is infinite. If space was finite we would se the same stars and galaxies on the right and on the left.

I agree.

#14    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,397 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 02 January 2007 - 01:35 PM

Here's an interesting article from Space.com.

If the universe is closed, though, then what is beyond the universe? Weeks took his best shot at answering this confounding question:

"The universe is finite," he said, "but there's no boundary to it," implying that there is no beyond, or that if there is, then its nature is left to your imagination and is outside the closed system that astronomers can ever hope to see.

Personally, I try not to think about it too much...tends to give me a headache!

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#15    Clobhair-cean

Clobhair-cean

Psychic Spy

• 1,145 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 09:49 PM

You're saying that it could grow to infiniteness. That could be yes. Untill it implodes or whatever. But in order to know that something grows you first have to know it's measurements. So if it's infinite it cannot grow, yet our universe seems to. So following that logic that would mean the universe is finit.

But if it's constantly growing you cannot measure it because it will be bigger by the time you've finished, so you can start the measuring all over again... original.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users