Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Are Unicorns real?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#16    xgaryedgex

xgaryedgex

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 104 posts

• Liberate te ex inferis

Posted 17 November 2003 - 08:22 AM

i read somewhere that they believe the shetland pony(i may be misspelling it) is a relative of the unicorn. on the forehead of its skull is a spot where a horn would have grown. but now adays doesnt.

There is no such thing as an inevitable war. If war comes it will be from failure of human wisdom.-Andrew B. Law

#17    Bright Eyes

Bright Eyes

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 152 posts

• *.'.*Live Life Like A Dream*.'.*

Posted 17 November 2003 - 09:49 AM

Unicorn horns were also used as an Aphrodisiac, so I don't think they would waste any, resulting in no horn remains have been found.

original.gif  

#18    Bright Eyes

Bright Eyes

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 09:52 AM

Unicorn horns were also used as an Aphrodisiac, so I don't think they would waste any, resulting in no horn remains have been found.

original.gif

Gary... I didn't know that, but I once used to visit a remote place occupied by a family of Shetlands with a little stream running through it and I nick-named it the enchanted stream. Maybe Shetlands still possess some of the magic if they did evolve from unicorns and I was picking up on that!  thumbsup.gif  

#19    Bright Eyes

Bright Eyes

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 10:14 AM

The idea of an animal with a single horn projecting from the centre of its forehead, which is the universally accepted definition of a unicorn, is firmly grounded in prehistoric reality. The giant mammal Elasmotherium flourished on the Eurasian continent particularly the steppes and forests of southeastern Russia, Mongolia and northern China. It was even larger than a modern day elephant and had a single horn which grew from the centre of its forehead and measured up to two metres in length.

This real unicorn, whose full scientific designation in Latin is Elasmotherium sibiricum Fischer 25, was a species of rhinoceros. Bjorn KurtÚn described the Elasmotherium as "a truly gigantic animal, far larger than any living rhinoceros. It had no nose horn, but instead an immense horn on the forehead: it grew to a length of two metres. This animal was thus a veritable unicorn." (KurtÚn, 1968, p. 145).

During the late Pleistocene era the existance of the Elasmotherium and Homo Sapiens overlapped for centuries. It is believed that early encounters with this amazing creature were the basis of stories about the great unicorn. Over time these memories became legends which faded into myth. It is believed that Mediaeval European ideas about the unicorn were ultimately inspired by the mythic Chinese unicorn zhi.

There can be no doubt that during the Medieval era the unicorn was believed to be a real animal. As scientific thought overtook beliefs during the Renaissance sightings of unicorns were attributed to more mundane animal such as rhinos, goats, and horses. Until at last the unicorn was added to the list of animals to be found only in stories and fables.

#20    thefirstman

thefirstman

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

• Finding inner peace through outer rage.

Posted 17 November 2003 - 02:15 PM

Unicorns are real as you and me,beleive it,if you dont you miss out on the magick they hold within the belief..............

Posted Image

"if we fight for money,I'll stop hitting you when you ask me to. If we fight for honour,I'll stop hitting you when I feel like it" Royce Gracie

#21    OutlawNiea

OutlawNiea

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 04:10 PM

I think they are real. period.

#22    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

• Everyone likes a smouldering and sexy glare from a diminutive scientist.

Posted 18 November 2003 - 08:02 PM

My thoughts on Unicorns....

Perhaps...I do believe that, to a greater or lesser extent, most legends stem from truth, and it's not impossible that a rare genetic disorder led to some horses having horns...it's also likely that these animals, given their rarity, would have been extremely prized by hunters and the like, and hunted to the point of extinction, and their horns carved into some kind of trophy...in which case, every horse carrying this gene would be dead by now, which is why we don't see them now.

On the other hand, you'd think at least some of them would die a natural death and, as someone said above, we probably would have discovered some kind of evidence of them.

It's a bit iffy...looking at them purely as a variation in the species, it's possible, though not likely.

My thoughts on Xenojjin....

Its really just something some people want to believe , but that doesn't make it real .

From a young man who so zealously believes in God, that may just be the single most hypocritical arguement I've ever heard tongue.gif If you intend people to respect your own fantasy, please do not mock those of other people wink2.gif

True, there's no evidence to suggest the unicorn ever existed...however, from an evolutionary standpoint, it isn't completely far fetched...stags have antlers, bulls have horns...why couldn't a horse have developed a similar variation?

Posted Image

Apparantly, over on Exchristian.Net, they say that I'm "probably the smartest person" on UM....that is so cool...

#23    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

• The Most Purple Haired Gothic Hedonistic member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 18 November 2003 - 11:25 PM

Elasmotherium is basicaly a Rhino albeit a huge one (see link here for a picture) and although myths could have been passed down from the Pleistocene (approx 2 million - 11,000yrs ago) it is much more likely that the tales of unicorns where inspired from travellers tales from africa only 1000 yrs ago just before the medieaval period. Either way these are both rhinos and not Unicorns.

Mankind's myths and legends are populated with Fictional creatures amalgimated from different body barts from different animals, and by believing in unicorns you will have to give credence to other beasts such as Gryphons, Manticores, Basilisks, Sphinxes and Pegasi. It would be a better world if they had existed but unfortunately they did not.  

never take me too seriously

#24    Bright Eyes

Bright Eyes

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 11:30 PM

You can't say they don't exist for absolute certain PS, as I can't say that they most definitely do. But I still believe in them.

I think an episode I saw of Ally McBeal portrayed Unicorns in the pure and magical way they should be portrayed, and that only certain people are able to see them.

original.gif  

#25    Xenojjin

Xenojjin

Absurdity

• 2,753 posts

• Life is not meaningful, therefore it is.

Posted 19 November 2003 - 01:13 AM

Its really just something some people want to believe , but that doesn't make it real .
From a young man who so zealously believes in God, that may just be the single most hypocritical arguement I've ever heard  If you intend people to respect your own fantasy, please do not mock those of other people

From your stand point , I can see your reasoning in that , as you have come to believe god does not exist you see the idea of unicorns in the same light . Unfortunately , there is a big differance .

God existing -> their is proof of this . miracles happening , faith healing actually working , prophecies coming true that were in the bible that could not logically be interpreted in any other way . On top of it all their is more proof the earth is young then there is of the earth being old , therefore providing a big argument against evolution . Not fantasy

Unicorns existing -> no proof but people's dreams and hopes . Also some myths and folklore with no historical event's mentioning it . Fantasy

calling someone a hypocrite for believing in god but not in unicorns doesn't only make no sense , its just stupid  tongue.gif  

In the way, the supernatural is what's behind the curtain. Normally, you only need to see what's happening in stage. That's how reality works. If you don't know then it's for the best. Actually, learning about the supernatural only increases the number of things you don't know.

Posted Image

#26    Obsidian76

Obsidian76

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 04:02 AM

I see it as a myth, just that. devil.gif  

#27    Bright Eyes

Bright Eyes

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 02:10 PM

The 'evidence' of the existence of God is just how people decide to interpret these miracles based on what they have read in the bible, or because they want to believe so strongly that it is down to him. I don't believe that God can be given credit for any of these things, although I do enjoy some of the stories from the bible. Sorry, that's just my opinion and I'm not saying anything against anyone that does believe he is up there.

#28    Melladior

Melladior

Poltergeist

• 2,177 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 05:22 PM

I have not yet found a guy who likes unicorns

Well I dated a guy that liked Unicorns...he left me...for an interior designer.....named Trevor... idea.gif...wait, maybe there's a connection... dontgetit.gif ...nevermind, this topic is too depressing.

#29    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

• Everyone likes a smouldering and sexy glare from a diminutive scientist.

Posted 19 November 2003 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE (Melladior @ Nov 19 2003, 04:22 PM)
he left me...for an interior designer.....named Trevor... idea.gif...wait, maybe there's a connection... dontgetit.gif

LOL...there could just be... wink2.gif

I wouldn't worry too much about a guy who likes Unicorns...unless he spent a great of time talking about how "beautiful and magical" they are... whistling2.gif  

Posted Image

Apparantly, over on Exchristian.Net, they say that I'm "probably the smartest person" on UM....that is so cool...

#30    snuffypuffer

snuffypuffer

Dandy Fop

• 11,038 posts

• Let's get happy!

Posted 19 November 2003 - 07:25 PM

Here's another picture of an elasmotherium, apparently some Japanese firm cloned one and put it in a zoo.

user posted image

Nothing to see here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users